· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default Hi folks, soon to be a betta owner with a few questions

0 Not allowed!
    So, I've decided to take the leap and get a betta. I've been considering a fish tank for awhile but, due mainly to space limitations, have held off. My wife and I decided we'd like to get a betta. I've done a lot of research here, and in other places and still have a few questions.

We went out and bought the 5 gallon Wal-mart Minibow setup and I plan on putting it together after we get back from vacation in a week or two. Now, I've read up on cycling the tank and the like, but I read in certain places that it's not necessary to do if you use live plants. Is this actually true? I had always intended to get a live plant or two, but if it will help speed up the cycle or even eliminate it then I shall definitely go that route. I also wonder what would be a good plant or plants to go with. I've read that bettas like to rest on the leaves of plants and have no idea which would be best. If I still need to do the fishless cycle routine will it hurt the plants or should I just wait to put them in after the tank cycles?

I plan on getting some corys, probably two, to be bottom feeders as I've read they are compatible with Bettas, for the most part. Now, I know that Bettas have different personalities, just like people, and some bettas will be more tolerant than others. Knowing that, would it be a good idea to put the betta and the corys in at the same time, or would it be better to do them separately, and if so, who first?

One last thing, gravel or sand? I've read that gravel could damage the Bettas fins if he or she tries to forage around in it, and then I've read that they'll be just fine, especially since there will be corys around to help keep the bottom clean, along with proper water replacement.

Thanks in advance for your help, this has been a very informative site so far and I hope to be able to interact with everyone here going forward. I'm an amateur photographer so you can be sure of many pictures once I get the tank up and going. Thanks again.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Don't give up! - Rue   good poster - Lady Hobbs   something to chew on :) - Dave66   *kicks* - Drumachine09   Have a slice on me, thanks for the other forums! - Bill M.   

0 Not allowed!
    In just a beta tank you could get away with just strictly water changes and no cycling. However if you plan to have corys I suggest on cycling your tank.
    You should get 3-4 aeneus, albino or sterbai corys if you want any at all. These are smaller and would fit your tank better. They betta shouldn't bother them at all as they moreso like to hang around the top.

Edit: about the live plants, you still need to cycle if you have them it may just take a shorter time. Also, if your tank takes say 2 weeks to cycle you could see some of the plants dieing because of no nitrates let alone anything else. Unless of course you get some real easy plants like anubias, amazon sword, or a java fern.
    Last edited by zackish; 08-29-2007 at 11:38 PM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

You need gifts. Have a cookie! - Drumachine09   Good luck with your fishie - RobbieG   Loving what you bring to the forum. Hope you are a long-term friend here! - gm72   For being you - Nick_Pavlovski   Whatever yu want it to be - crackatinny   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - MeganL3985   Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - MeganL3985   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - MeganL3985   Gay and Lesbian Pride - MeganL3985   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - MeganL3985   

0 Not allowed!
    Good choice! I love betta's and i'm sure the cory's will work fine with it. I have gravel in my tank, b/c the mini bow I recieved (2.5gal) came with an undergravel filter by mistake, but I had originially planned it to be sand substrate. Either way I think it is all preference. Personally i've heard a lot of great things about sand, especially being that it keeps the wastes and debris on top and not inside like the gravel does.

As for cycling, I can't be of much help with that, since I know nothing about live plants and the cycling process together. But someone will be around shortly to give you information on that! :)

Goodluck!! Please share pics of the set up if you can! I would love to see it when its done! :)
    *Keep Smiling, It Makes People Wonder What Your Up To*

Tanks-
    55 Gallon--On Hold, In Storage...
    20 Gallon High--Tetra and Cory's
    5 Gallon Hex--Guppies (3 Female, 2 Male)
    2.5 Gallon Mini Bow--Future ADF Habitat
    <3 RIP--To My Former Fishies <3

*Aquatic Lounge Chatroom*
    http://theaquaticlounge.chatango.com/

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Mothers Day! - Drumachine09   Here's a little something for standing up and doing what you think is right! - RobbieG   Congrats On Your New Addition! :) - MeganL3985   for stuff! - Nick_Pavlovski   TOTM 2nd!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - Nick_Pavlovski   
    Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SkarloeysMom   

0 Not allowed!
    We went out and bought the 5 gallon Wal-mart Minibow setup and I plan on putting it together after we get back from vacation in a week or two.
    Great pick! I have 5g and a 2.5g Minibows with a betta each. Both are cycled and I would definitely recommend doing the fishless cycle. If the Betta is in there when its cycling he could come down with any variety of illnesses due to the stress of cycling. (I almost killed Skarloey that way)
    I've read that bettas like to rest on the leaves of plants and have no idea which would be best. If I still need to do the fishless cycle routine will it hurt the plants or should I just wait to put them in after the tank cycles?
    In a 5g tank with the amount of light that the bulb puts out you might have trouble keeping live plants alive. My bettas both rest on fake plants just fine and have never had problems with ripped fins.
    I plan on getting some corys, probably two, to be bottom feeders as I've read they are compatible with Bettas, for the most part.
    Oto cats are also a good choice with Bettas. I've heard lots of folks have had corys and betta without a problem. I'd suggest 3 or 4 of the smallest species you can find. They really need friends to be happy.
    One last thing, gravel or sand?
    That's up to you...I have gravel in both my betta tanks. I've never had any problem with it ripping their fins. If you get corys, they will like the sand better. If you get gravel and corys just make sure that its smooth gravel, not the rough stuff.

Good luck with your set up! Take your time and cycle. It will save you the heartache of a sick fish. Can't wait to see the pictures!
    Last edited by SkarloeysMom; 08-30-2007 at 12:03 AM.
    My tank:
    20g long - 8 Trigonostigma heteromorpha, 2 Corydoras brevirostris, 2 Corydoras agassizii, 1 Corydoras trilineatus named Julian

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

You need gifts - Lady Hobbs   And another - Lady Hobbs   What he had up his --- - Chrona   No, serioulsy. EVERYONE KICK HIM! - Drumachine09   RAK - DemonShark   
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - gm72   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - gm72   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by zackish
    You should get 3-4 aeneus, albino or sterbai corys if you want any at all. These are smaller and would fit your tank better. They betta shouldn't bother them at all as they moreso like to hang around the top.
    Sterbai corys are a bad idea, they can get up to about 3", too large for a simple 5 gallon setup.

Although you can get away without truly cycling the tank, it is generally not a good idea. Please refer to the sticky post on fishless cycling and follow the instructions therein. Your fish will be happier and healthier.
    8 tanks running now:
    1x 220 gallon, 2x55 gallon, 1x40 gallon long, 1x29 gallon, 1x20 gallon long, 1x5.5 gallon, 1x2 gallon
    Gouramis, barbs, rasboras, plecos, corys, tetras, fancy guppies, swordtails, ottos, rainbow shark, upside-down catfish, snails, and Max and Sparkles the bettas.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

a gift as a thank you for adding me as a buddy! - *Sarah*   Congrats on the new fry :) - *Sarah*   *kicks* :P - Drumachine09   Just because! - 2manyfish   Have a great Birthday! - CAF   
    Childhood Cancer - squirt_12   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - squirt_12   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - squirt_12   

0 Not allowed!
    Does the setup that you bought have a heater????? Because the corys will need to be in water around 80 degrees and the betta would love it in the temperature aswell.
    Also the betta may be fine without a cycle but would the corys get stressed without a cycle????
    I would wait about a week or 2 after the betta has been in there so that he can claim is oarts of the tank and then i would add the corys. This was the tank will be cycled better and the corys will have something to do when they get into the tank.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

You need gifts - Lady Hobbs   And another - Lady Hobbs   What he had up his --- - Chrona   No, serioulsy. EVERYONE KICK HIM! - Drumachine09   RAK - DemonShark   
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - gm72   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - gm72   

0 Not allowed!
    Bottom dwellers like corys are traditionally extra susceptible to ammonia peaks, so a lack of a cycle would indeed be bad for the corys. Great point about the heater, too. They all will do well with warmer temperatures than just room air. Corys won't tolerate non-tropical temperatures without some sort of detriment.
    8 tanks running now:
    1x 220 gallon, 2x55 gallon, 1x40 gallon long, 1x29 gallon, 1x20 gallon long, 1x5.5 gallon, 1x2 gallon
    Gouramis, barbs, rasboras, plecos, corys, tetras, fancy guppies, swordtails, ottos, rainbow shark, upside-down catfish, snails, and Max and Sparkles the bettas.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

You need gifts. Have a cookie! - Drumachine09   Good luck with your fishie - RobbieG   Loving what you bring to the forum. Hope you are a long-term friend here! - gm72   For being you - Nick_Pavlovski   Whatever yu want it to be - crackatinny   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - MeganL3985   Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - MeganL3985   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - MeganL3985   Gay and Lesbian Pride - MeganL3985   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - MeganL3985   

0 Not allowed!
    The minibow's don't come with heaters.

But might I recommend the Hydor mini-heater. I have it in my 2.5 gal and it works awesome!! I imagine it would work even better with a 5 gal!! :)

http://www.hydor.it/inglese/mini.htm
    Last edited by MeganL3985; 08-30-2007 at 01:45 AM.

Tanks-

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Cuz you have an apple snail! - Kuli_Loach   

0 Not allowed!
    Megan, where did you buy your heater?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Ebay for $12 I believe. (That included the shipping price)

Tanks-