· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So frustrating!

Default So frustrating!

0 Not allowed!
    The more I learn about fishkeeping, the more frustrated I get at the ignorance of the world. I took my mom into Best Buy yesterday to buy her an I-Phone as an early Mother's Day present.

At the Mobile Phone counter they have a plastic jar with no more than a gallon of water in it. Inside the jar is a Lifeproof brand mobile phone cover and 4 goldfish. There was a small bubbler with a tube pumping oxygen into the water. The bottom of the jar is covered in fish waste. While I was there I watched the employee open the jar and feed the fish a huge pinch of food, more food than I would probably feed my 10 gallon in 2 days, most of which floated to the bottom of the jar to rest with the fish waste.

Why is a fish any less respectable of a life than anything else? If that was a sick puppy in a cage with waste all around it, there would be an uproar...but these are just fish. I don't understand either because the fish are not important to the display. What are they trying to advertise? That their mobile phone cover can withstand water? Or fish poop?

I attached a picture that I took with my cell phone. I actually wrote an email to both the best buy and the company that makes that case (http://www.lifeproof.com/life/). I'm sure it won't do any good, but at least I tried.

Last edited by CrunchyLeaf; 03-30-2012 at 04:31 AM.
    ~Manna
    10 gallon live planted aquarium with 6 neons
    90 gallon fw community in progress

0 Not allowed!
    I can't stand when people just act like fish have no needs and can strive in anything. Besides, the goldfish just make the display look uglier.
    American League Champions! TIGERS!

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    That's not even nice to look at, let alone being cruel to the fish. Whoever planned that marketing scheme has clearly never owned a fish before.

If I were you I would circulate that pic... put it on every aquarium forum you can find and make people aware. Your emails to the companies were a good idea, but you'll probably make more of an impact if you discourage the entire fishkeeping community to stay away from those brands of covers (marketing scheme probably designed by the manufacturer of the cover, not the Best Buy)
    Last edited by cat_fish_lady; 03-30-2012 at 02:56 PM.
    120g SW mixed reef (see profile for equipment info) RBTAs, Shrooms, Zoas (new!) and fish..... and two fat cats
    "The seaweed is always greener in somebody else's lake." -Sebastian the crab

Awards Showcase

Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 lets see if you cann see this - William another test - William hope this works - William hopefully this one shows up. - KingFisher 
    It's the closest thing I could find to a snowflake. - Taurus Happy Birthday Girl. Wishing you many more. Ya thats why the Champagne is in play. hehehe - Strider199 For piping up - ~firefly~ Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    Merry Christmas - gadget228 Thank you and Happy Holidays! - KingFisher Merry x-mas and a Happy New Year Trillianne - Strider199 Happy New Year!!! - Rue Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 
    Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 Thanks for the Rep! - steeler1 Thanks, and one for you too. - mommy1 lol - 5 steps to gift giving.  We should eat more bananas... potassium and all that. - KevinVA Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 

0 Not allowed!
    Well you spoke up, so there is one person at least!

Its hard to say where the idea of adding the fish for the marketing came into play, it could have been how Lifeproof sent it on... or it could have been someone at that individual Best Buy store that added that little extra to what was supposed to be just a case with phone in a jar of water.

So good on you for covering the bases in contacting both.

0 Not allowed!
    Yeah that was what I wondered as well. I don't know if the company that makes Lifeproof cases came up with this marketing scheme or if an employee at the Best Buy said "Hey lets put fish in there!"
    I don't want to wrongly condemn one or the other, but if it was Best Buy's decision, then Lifeproof should know how their displays are being utilized and vice versa. If it was Lifeproof's idea, then Best Buy should be able to tell their suppliers that they will not display it.
    ~Manna
    10 gallon live planted aquarium with 6 neons
    90 gallon fw community in progress

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Stuff like this angers me. It's a shame. Water is enough to show the case it's waterproof. Unless they're trying to market it as fish proof as well....
    40 Gallon Breeder Planted: harlequin rasbora rummynose tetra corydoras cherry barbs

40 Gallon Breeder Reef: In progress!

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by ridgenesss
    Unless they're trying to market it as fish proof as well....
    That's what really puzzles me. Is someone going to say, "Oh, now I can drop this in my fish tank"? It doesn't make sense
    American League Champions! TIGERS!

Awards Showcase

Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 lets see if you cann see this - William another test - William hope this works - William hopefully this one shows up. - KingFisher 
    It's the closest thing I could find to a snowflake. - Taurus Happy Birthday Girl. Wishing you many more. Ya thats why the Champagne is in play. hehehe - Strider199 For piping up - ~firefly~ Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    Merry Christmas - gadget228 Thank you and Happy Holidays! - KingFisher Merry x-mas and a Happy New Year Trillianne - Strider199 Happy New Year!!! - Rue Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 
    Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 Thanks for the Rep! - steeler1 Thanks, and one for you too. - mommy1 lol - 5 steps to gift giving.  We should eat more bananas... potassium and all that. - KevinVA Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by MLBfan
    That's what really puzzles me. Is someone going to say, "Oh, now I can drop this in my fish tank"? It doesn't make sense
    You laugh but... while googling the name to see if this was their normal marketing.... I saw a person complaining that they wanted to use it in their fish tank and they put it in and it broke their iphone.

(I laughed )

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by CrunchyLeaf
    Why is a fish any less respectable of a life than anything else? If that was a sick puppy in a cage with waste all around it, there would be an uproar...but these are just fish. I don't understand either because the fish are not important to the display. What are they trying to advertise? That their mobile phone cover can withstand water? Or fish poop?
    I hate that as well! In fact nothing pisses me off more than when people say "Oh it's just a fish...It's not like it can feel..."
    No! they have the ability to feel pain just as you or I! Just because something is less than an inch long doesn't mean you can disregard it as a living creature! Sometimes I really hate the human race! #end rant

Also that display would have been JUST as effective, if not more so, if it was just the phone in the jar of water.

0 Not allowed!
    That water looks awful! And that fish in the rear looks like something is wrong with its eye. People do things like this when they don't really know what they're doing. They think it's "cute". Someone needs to educate them. Where is the ASPCA?

-- mermaidwannabe
    20 gal. high: planted; 8 white cloud minnows, 10 RCS, 2 blue shrimp, several snails; AC50, Azoo air. 65 gal: planted; 7 rosy barbs, 6 glofish,, 2 zebra danios, 6 rosy red (fathead) minnows, 3 dojo loaches, several snails; AC110 x 2.