· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Decision Made - Moving Paradise Fish

0 Not allowed!
    I have decided tonight after an extremely aggressive display of tailfins and color changing by both of my male paradise fish that a 60 gallon tank for both of them isn't enough space... I'm going to move my Blue Paradise [orange and blue] into a 20 gallon species tank as soon as possible with [possibly] a mate very soon. I can't bear to watch this anymore... video after the cut -
    5 gallon planted tank - 1 female betta and one HUGE mystery snail
    60 gallon planted community 3 marble lyretail mollies, 3 creamsicle mollies, 9 lampeye tetras, 5 bloodfin tetras, 4 black skirt tetras, 1 rubberlipped pleco, 3 peppered corys, 3 bumblebee catfish, 3 emerald green corydoras, 2 gold danios, and 2 giant danios

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    i myself have personally chosen to not get anymore gourami of any type for now. Now matter what they always seem to show some type of aggression to either the same species or other species. It's a shame because they are beautiful fish.
    40 Gallon Breeder Planted: harlequin rasbora rummynose tetra corydoras cherry barbs

40 Gallon Breeder Reef: In progress!

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Yep I also only ever keep a single male Labyrinth fish per tank no matter the size. There is always some aggression.
    20gal- Honey gourami's, Endlers, otto's and minnows.
    22gal- 2 Honey gourami's, Bichir senegalus, apisto hongsloi
    33gal- (future home to Bichir senegalus)

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by -Alex-
    Yep I also only ever keep a single male Labyrinth fish per tank no matter the size. There is always some aggression.
    +1 to that.
    Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas Douglas - Taurus Please enjoy this holiday hog! - Trillianne Have a super christmas! - Aeonflame Congrats on 1 year! - andreahp Congrats on 1 year! - jeffs99dime 
    Happy One-Year! - Rue Happy New Year! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 No Message - 850R Now THAT was a nice quiet beer... But now that we have had another... Let's go break stuff!! :-P - 850R 
    Thanks for the rep/compliments! - mojosodope Thanks for the rep the other day, cheers - Cliff ...they go with snow, right? - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas - mommy1 Merry Christmas - KingFisher Happy New Year - mommy1 Thanks! - pRED 

0 Not allowed!
    I think that is just a learning curve that every fishkeeper will come across. No doubt 99% of us at some point have attempted to keep multiple labrinth or angel fish, and until you witness the carnage first hand you don't realise how bad it can be. I've had a go at multiple gourami and angels, both ended in tears. Especialy with gouramis I have noticed that not only are they very aggressive to those of the same species but also other fish with similar body shapes, my firemouth used to take a beating from my yellow gourami.
    My therapist says I need a bigger tank . . . . .

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottishFish
    I think that is just a learning curve that every fishkeeper will come across. No doubt 99% of us at some point have attempted to keep multiple labrinth or angel fish, and until you witness the carnage first hand you don't realise how bad it can be. I've had a go at multiple gourami and angels, both ended in tears. Especialy with gouramis I have noticed that not only are they very aggressive to those of the same species but also other fish with similar body shapes, my firemouth used to take a beating from my yellow gourami.
    +1 to that too, Scotti! Paradise Fish in community tank = blood guts and gore in escamosa's first attempt.
    Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas Douglas - Taurus Please enjoy this holiday hog! - Trillianne Have a super christmas! - Aeonflame Congrats on 1 year! - andreahp Congrats on 1 year! - jeffs99dime 
    Happy One-Year! - Rue Happy New Year! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 No Message - 850R Now THAT was a nice quiet beer... But now that we have had another... Let's go break stuff!! :-P - 850R 
    Thanks for the rep/compliments! - mojosodope Thanks for the rep the other day, cheers - Cliff ...they go with snow, right? - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas - mommy1 Merry Christmas - KingFisher Happy New Year - mommy1 Thanks! - pRED 

0 Not allowed!
    Well I had 5 angels, 1 week later I had 1 angel.

Another time I had 4 yellow/opaline gouramis 2f 2m that ended up with 1 dead, and 2 others petrified along with a cowering firemouth!! NEVER AGAIN!!

I have one solo dwarf gourami in my 48g and even then he still has a go at some tetras occasionaly. Nice fish, bad ass attitude!!!
    My therapist says I need a bigger tank . . . . .

0 Not allowed!
    This is a great learning thread for those just starting out in the hobby.

Remember also that individual behavior can very greatly from between fish of the same species. LOL..there's always the exception to every rule.
    Last edited by Taurus; 03-30-2012 at 03:02 PM.
    When in doubt, do a water change.

"This ain't rocket science!"

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    weird thing is, my dwarf gourami male rarely has spats with either of the two paradise fish... they both seem to steer clear of him, he's the "boss" persay. the aggression i'm seeing here is strictly between the two paradise fish. i've decided when i get my 20 gallon next week i'm going to get it nice and cycled, and then get a female paradise fish and make it a breeding tank. we'll see how that goes. i've read that keeping them with a female counterpart calms them down considerably.
    60 gallon planted community 3 marble lyretail mollies, 3 creamsicle mollies, 9 lampeye tetras, 5 bloodfin tetras, 4 black skirt tetras, 1 rubberlipped pleco, 3 peppered corys, 3 bumblebee catfish, 3 emerald green corydoras, 2 gold danios, and 2 giant danios

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    also - i think this will be best for both of them seeing as my power filter agitates the water a little too much for their liking, meaning they can't build bubble nests in this water. the 20 gal will have considerably less "pull" and hopefully will inhibit the nesting behavior.