· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default Not-so-great Nitrites!!!

0 Not allowed!
    We moved our son's 55g (well established) from his bedroom to our living room a few weeks ago. I open with this comment only because this is the only difference of the tank set up...the locations...literally. Nothing else has changed. The tank is the same distance from our bay window as from the bedroom window and on the interior wall away from drafts, vents, and excessive sunlight.
    The fish love seeing life outside their tank!

Here are the specs of the tank: 55g
    Pump/filter: TopFin 60 and Tetra 5-15
    Levels: pH-7.0; NH3/NH4-0; NO2-used to be 0
    Temp: 76

We did our weekly 25% water change on Sat. waiting the usual two hours and tested the water...not good! The nitrites spiked to the highest read on my card... 3.3-33mg/l! We have maintained such perfect numbers for so long that this is shocking - to us and the fish, I'm sure. They started to get a bit lethargic.
    We decided to do a 30% water change and let it rest over night.

Sun. - just before noon I did the test and the nitrites were down to 0.8 so we did another 30% and waited a couple of hours; tested the water again and it jumped to 1.6! Baffled and not liking this, we did a 90% water change and left it over night to rest. The fish were now active.

Mon. - before going to work in the early afternoon I did another test and it read 0.8...great, it's down but not at it's usual zero. I let it go until I returned from work at 9pm and did yet another test; no change - still 0.8.

Stumped, I recalled that the filtration not working properly would raise NO2, so today, Tues., we removed the filters and cleaned the pumps/pipes and inner mechs. and put the filters back in. We are still reading 0.8!

We are out of thoughts and the fish are getting lethargic again.
    Please give us your input here...and thank you for your time!
    Beside four home-schooled kids-ages 11-17, we have:
    1 Maltese: Blessings of Abundance 1 Yorkie/Maltese: Sera Joy
    Hannah's 10g: 6-Zebra Danios; 1-Black and 1-Gold Mystery Snail
    Christian's 55g: 2-Koi (pond upcoming); 1-Black Moor; 6-Rosy Reds; 1-Black and 1-Blue Mystery Snail; one 1.5" Trinidad Pleco (re-homing or possible upgrade-really lovin' the baby!)
    Brenae's 2-10g: (tank upgrade coming) 2-1.5" Black Convict Cichlids and fry; 4 more Blk Cnvct Cichs10g: Quarantine empty

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Member of the month, a toast is in order. - Strider199   Sorry about your blood parrot :-( - ~firefly~   For this; http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=111325 - Strider199   :-) - ~firefly~   Happy mother's day! Enjoy one on me LOL - imma24   
    Childhood Cancer - hobbs   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - hobbs   Myasthenia Gravis - Ovarian Cancer - Sexual Assault - Substance Abuse - Lady Hobbs   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Lady Hobbs   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Lady Hobbs   

0 Not allowed!
    No surprise. If you moved the tank, you most likely removed a lot of bacteria in the substrate. Perhaps you cleaned the filter some, as well?

Do more water changes when nitrites rise and don't be afraid to do 50% a couple times this week.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks, LH!!!

Should I boost the bacteria?
    Is there any way to boost the bacteria? I saw some "live bacteria" drops at the store for new tanks...would this do or should I just only change water?

Really concerned for the fish...
    Christian's 55g: 2-Koi (pond upcoming); 1-Black Moor; 6-Rosy Reds; 1-Black and 1-Blue Mystery Snail; one 1.5" Trinidad Pleco (re-homing or possible upgrade-really lovin' the baby!)
    Brenae's 2-10g: (tank upgrade coming) 2-1.5" Black Convict Cichlids and fry; 4 more Blk Cnvct Cichs10g: Quarantine empty

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Member of the month, a toast is in order. - Strider199   Sorry about your blood parrot :-( - ~firefly~   For this; http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=111325 - Strider199   :-) - ~firefly~   Happy mother's day! Enjoy one on me LOL - imma24   
    Childhood Cancer - hobbs   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - hobbs   Myasthenia Gravis - Ovarian Cancer - Sexual Assault - Substance Abuse - Lady Hobbs   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Lady Hobbs   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Lady Hobbs   

0 Not allowed!
    So, did you clean out the filter media as well? You can't remember all the bacteria and think that will not lead into another cycle. Water changes should do it for you. What is the ammonia?

You haven't got much filtering on a 55 gallon tank. TopFin 60 and Tetra 5-15?
    Last edited by Lady Hobbs; 03-27-2012 at 04:10 PM.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    We did not clean the filter media at all. In my opinion (which could be a wrong one), this filter is the only thing for bacteria to live in, besides the corners, nooks, and crannies of this pump itself. I'm not crazy about the TopFin 60 because of that...no bacteria "catcher" like our other pumps. I don't know about the other TF pumps...we don't use them.
    When my husband and I moved the tank, we only removed 90% of the water...which we do once a month anyway...lifted the tank and walked to the living room. We kept it simple. We did not "clean" anything else. We didn't even siphon...the substrate is a very thin layer, just covering the bottom, so we can easily see if our son is overfeeding - so far, so good.

All the cleaning of the pumps was done this morning in a last ditch effort, thinking the pumps may be faltering. We did not clean the filters.

The water stays wonderfully clear for the two pumps = 75. You really think we should upgrade?

Surprisingly, the ammonia has been at zero - this is what stumped me, hence the thought of the pumps not working correctly.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Oh my. You moved a tank by only removing some water? You are very bare. That's a lot of pressure to put on the bottom glass but it had to heavy as heck.

Almost all the bacteria lives in the filter media. Part of the problem may likely be due to such small filters. There can't be much space in them to grow an abundance of nitrite eating bacteria. The TopFin 60 is probably adaquate for perhaps a 20 gallon and the Tetra 5-15? Perhaps a 10 gallon max.

Very underfiltered, IMO.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas - Cliff   Merry Christmas - mommy1   Merry Christmas - KingFisher   Happy New Year - mommy1   Thanks! - pRED   

0 Not allowed!
    +1 to LH pretty underfiltered

Also if you have moved the tank are all the fish ok? If one has died and hasn't been spotted it will screw up your readings
    My therapist says I need a bigger tank . . . . .

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

You needed one! - korith   cheers - Northernguy   This should help to clean up the coffee - Thanks for the rep as well - Cliff   A morning like this requires HOT Coffee! - 850R   thanks for the rep! - sheamurai   
    Autism - Fishin Phil   

0 Not allowed!
    Agreed that you need more filtration. I would be running at least an AC110 on that tank.
    125g - 6 Zig Zag Rainbows, 6 Turquoise Rainbows, 6 Boesmani Rainbows, 5 otos, 6 corys

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

A fish for your upcoming aquarium! - Rue   For your daughter's tank! - Rue   for making me laugh thank for the info - Cliff   Thanks for the CO2 info, have one on me !!! - Cliff   sorry about your betta, he was beautiful - Jeddi   

0 Not allowed!
    have you tested your supply water? seems your readings were rising at water change time!
    Used to try and keep track of my fish here.....

Ran out of room and time!!!

Instead I'll tell you the best piece of fishkeeping equipment ever....... Algae Scrubber :)

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    110's and a 305 canister on my 55's.