· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

You needed one! - korith   Thx for the bumper sticker - Cliff   

Default BN Plecos and Bogwood...

0 Not allowed!
    So I recently obtained 3 little baby albino Ancistrus and want to make life perfect for them. Been reading a lot about eating behavior and bogwood keeps popping up. I have even heard it mentioned here. Now my question is, who is doing this, and are you really using true bogwood? I live in and area surrounded by lfs and never saw this offered. They sell driftwood, grapewood, african root, and manzenita, but no bogwood! From what I read, bogwood gets all its fine qualities because it has been preserved for thousands of years submerged in highly acidic peat bogs. Is all that needed, or do they just want to chomp on some wood? Please ... These guys are the cutest and I need to know. Thanks!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Wishing You A Happy New Year!!! - Jill   Happy New year - Celtic Fins   May the Anti troll force be with you. - Celtic Fins   2001 posts! - Northernguy   For your helpful fry advice - Cliff   

0 Not allowed!
    Some species of pleco (Panaques like clowns, L-204 or royal pleco's) need wood in their diet. Somehow that fact has become a generalized belief that all pleco's need wood. Ancistrus species like the common albino bristlenose will scour whatever they find on the surface of the wood, same as every other solid surface in the tank, but unlike Panaques they don't actually eat the wood (and poop sawdust...) They do like veggies occasionally. I have hundreds of the buggers, from tiny fry to large adults several years old now. I feed them all a staple diet of NLS Grow pellets and Ken's spirulina or veggie flake with canned green beans once weekly. Occasionally zucchini slices in the fall when the neighbors are giving it away, but not regularly.

^^^Please click the eggs/dragons, thanks...^^

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

You needed one! - korith   Thx for the bumper sticker - Cliff   

0 Not allowed!
    Thank you toddnbecka, I was led to think it was needed. There is already african root in the tank just not bogwood. They suck on it, but couldn't tell if they were eating it. They look happy!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Member of the month, a toast is in order. - Strider199   Sorry about your blood parrot :-( - ~firefly~   For this; http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=111325 - Strider199   :-) - ~firefly~   Happy mother's day! Enjoy one on me LOL - imma24   
    Childhood Cancer - hobbs   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - hobbs   Myasthenia Gravis - Ovarian Cancer - Sexual Assault - Substance Abuse - Lady Hobbs   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Lady Hobbs   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Lady Hobbs   

0 Not allowed!
    Mine love their driftwood. Bogwood is simply already water soaked and pulled from the river. Driftwood when in the water all the time grows the same goodies on them that pleco's love to suck on.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Wishing You A Happy New Year!!! - Jill   Happy New year - Celtic Fins   May the Anti troll force be with you. - Celtic Fins   2001 posts! - Northernguy   For your helpful fry advice - Cliff   

0 Not allowed!
    Actual bogwood comes from peat bogs, and tends to last a very long time in water because it's so well-preserved. More commonly, the term bogwood is a generic term for just about any type of driftwood.
    Mopani and malaysian woods are popular because they're both so dense they'll last for many years in the typical aquarium. Neither one has ever been soaked in water, (unless the pieces are "used") yet they're commonly called driftwood as well.
    Panaques will eat any type of wood, softer woods will disappear faster than harder or dense woods.

^^^Please click the eggs/dragons, thanks...^^

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas to You and Yours! - discusluv   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Win or lose, here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Cheers! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    I use malaysian driftwood for my BN pleco. It not only provides some hiding places for the BN pleco, but he also rasps the surface of the wood looking for spots of algae.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Have a Candy cane ;-) Merry Christmas - steeler58   Merry Christmas & Happy New Year! - Plecos   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Birthday Cindy :-) - Taurus   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - fishmommie   Myasthenia Gravis - Ovarian Cancer - Sexual Assault - Substance Abuse - fishmommie   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - fishmommie   

0 Not allowed!
    I have a new Pleco. LFS suggested zucchini or the occassional spinach leaf. does anyone know if they can/like/will tolerate asparagus? Our spring crop is coming in. :o)
    thanks
    30 g FW planted:corys, female ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, rummies,
    15 g FW planted:2 male guppies, neons, pygmy corys, clown pleco, 4 types of shrimp, assassin snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://bit.ly/1vC7gVX
    fishless cycling: http://bit.ly/1DARf3T
    fish in cycling: http://bit.ly/1ILvcfp