· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Awards Showcase

For your generosity! - Sir Tristen Thanks! - Wild Turkey Because your cool :) LOL - lovleeko Thought you could use some good algae. Is there such a thing. LOL - lovleeko stocking Rams - Algenco 
    reducing my stock - Algenco don't want to be overstocked - Algenco More algae for your BN's - toddnbecka Something for your tank,  and for being a good sport. - Brookfish Congratulations on your awards - Celtic Fins 
    Happy Easter! - Northernguy thanks for the help and the encouragement - mommy1 have a happy easter banana - mommy1 thanks for the rep, sorry it's late! - lucyinthesky You need another! lol - Northernguy 
    Congrats on your award! - Brookfish for all the encouragment - mommy1 Glad the surgery went well!!! - Gayle No Message - mommy1 Glad you came through the op ok mate! - Brookfish 
    Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - bushwhacker 

Default we been thru this lady

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Hobbs
    She already tried that. Got rid of her fish two days ago and is now trying to fishless cycle.
    and i sure aint gonna argue with ya, but i aint changing my mind either
    The only substitute for good manners is fast reflexes.
    RIP Roscoe. We will meet again Bug.

0 Not allowed!
    So do I, my friend. I cycled my last 3 tanks with fish.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    She already tried that. Got rid of her fish two days ago and is now trying to fishless cycle.
    Yeah, failed miserably on the cycle WITH fish. Why?

1. Difference in opionion from this forum to local pet stores, but apparently started with too many fish to cycle with.

2. Again difference in opinion from this forum to local pet stores, but if follow the forum's advice (which sounds the most accurate and safest for my fish) I needed to do a 50% water change every time the amonia level was .50. Since my 200 liter aquarium was having that test result nearly every day, I couldn't afford financially the water changes with the needed water conditioners/bacteria boosters AND also the time it would take each day.

3. I'm a worry wort. Was very strict to watch the amonia levels and make the water changes. Couldn't handle the worrying to keep the fish alive and worry if making them suffer or weakening their immunity system and increasing their likelyhood of frequent illnesses in long term effects. Researched and read till blue in the face...but nothing compares to learning the fish character and behavior from watching them yourself. Every little unusual/weird thing the fish did, I worried if it was normal or a bad sign of illness or need to change water (like neons losing their color at night, fish sitting on bottom, fish glancing the bottom, chasing each other, etc etc.

So, right or wrong, decided to cycle without fish, at least for this first aquarium in my life.

Regarding being patient after only two days....well, I'll be the first to admit I probably lack patience. BUt also depends on from where you count. I've had the aquarium for more than two months, and chomping at the bit to get it started. But patience made me wait until felt educated enough to start it. Took time to research filters, substrate, plants, fish types, etc before even putting water into it (which yes, realize now could have started the cycling then). And then two weeks with fish already attempting to cycle but discouraged at failing.

So I guess it is accurately only two days of fishless cycling. BUt feels like my patience has taken the biggest kick after two weeks of failure cycling with fish, realizing that two months of research and waiting to start really didn't do me much good afterall---since still made the same mistakes so many make.

In any case, without the help of you folks on this forum, I would continue to fail and have to give up a hobby I have wanted to try for MANY years. Thanks for your help and YOUR PATIENCE WITH ME!

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Added a second filter today, with used filter media filled with bacteria from a mature, established aquarium. (Filter is Aquael Fan-2 rated at 450 liters per hour)

Will this help the fishless cycling process go smoother???

What changes might I expect with this second filter added?

Also, read on internet that along with the amonia drops added, can compliment fishless cycling with either fish food or a piece of rotting fish (bought from grocery store). Read on a website that using both methods together is actually more effective to establish more stable bacteria colony. Since can read tons on internet and might not be true, want to check here first. Any thoughts?? If/when amonia level starts to drop, can add the fish and/or the drops to work together?? Or bad idea and just stick with the amonia drops??

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I have a horrible time trying to read these color charts sometimes.

Please, can anyone look at this and tell me if I need to add a little more ammonia or not?

It has been three weeks since tank was started. First two weeks WITH fish.

Then gave them away, and started fishless cycling. Now it is day 8 of fishless cycling.

Appears....still no nitrites. But ammonia is definitely less green than before. Does that mean should add MORE ammonia? Or should wait until drops a little more AND nitrites start to show????

Thanks!

0 Not allowed!
    Nothing to look at here. But if it appear to have dropped down to even 1, you can bring it back up to 4.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Ooops...sorry....forgot to attach the photo of water test!!

I have a horrible time trying to read these color charts sometimes.

Please, can anyone look at this and tell me if I need to add a little more ammonia or not?

It has been three weeks since tank was started. First two weeks WITH fish.

Then gave them away, and started fishless cycling. Now it is day 8 of fishless cycling.

Appears....still no nitrites. But ammonia is definitely less green than before. Does that mean should add MORE ammonia? Or should wait until drops a little more AND nitrites start to show????

Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Nothing to look at here. But if it appear to have dropped down to even 1, you can bring it back up to 4.

Wow! Thanks, LadyHobbs, for your fast reply even while I was fixing my mistake on posted question!!

So I was thinking it looks like either a 2.0 or a 4.0. But can't really tell for sure.

In any case, definitely NO NITRITES. So didn't know what to do. Add little more ammonia??

Also included PH test. You can see the PH is out of sight. Since already three weeks the tank is cycling (yet only 8 days without fish) was researching why might take my tank longer for nitrites to appear. Seems MAYBE (but I am ignorant about this stuff for sure!) my PH is too high??? bacteria producing the Nitrite might like a lower PH??

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I think the ammonia is definitely at 2 and there is not any nitrites just yet. Wait till it drops to 1 like LH said and then add more ammonia.
    As for your pH I have no clue why it is up so high! Have you tried testing it more than once just to get an accurate reading? There are several things you can add later to lower the pH, have you tried testing the pH of the tap water you have put in before adding it to the tank?
    ڠ Kat's 29g Adventure ڠ
    29g FW Planted Community

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Okay, thanks!

Those colors on the chart are so hard to see difference!! I take picture of water results every time take the test, hoping it will help me compare later. But honestly, looking at the first day photo compared to 8th day photo----the green ammonia looks the SAME color if not only very slightly lighter green now.

Regarding PH, it is high straight out of tap. Must use "High Range PH" test kit to even measure it. Doesn't matter how many times test it....results always same.

Doesn't matter that use sand....no change in PH, up or down.

Local pet stores say most people don't do anything to treat their PH because can't afford to buy the chemicals sold to do that.

Checking into getting some peat moss balls, almond leaves, or some other natural methods to lower the PH. But haven't thought it was a priority yet since cycling without fish and advice from pet stores say not really needed (they say the Ph is still within limits the fish I am choosing to keep can adjust to).

Right now, my only concern is if the PH is too high for the cycling to be successful. Will have another solution to lowering the PH before the fish are added. But should I give higher priority to lowering that PH NOW in order to cycle the tank????