· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    How about making them a sand box?

I've not come across it before, but I have wondered if putting something like a 12" square, 1.5" deep container, sunken into the gravel and filled with sand, in a 55 gallon or bigger tank would work. I'd be able to arrange the plants around this.

(At the time was looking at possibly getting some Kuhli Loaches, and I know they like sand.)

Anyone know of reasons this wouldn't work?
    Planted 37 gallon, driftwood - BN, Glowlight Tetra, Pygmy Cory, Amano shrimp

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kodgeman
    How about making them a sand box?

I've not come across it before, but I have wondered if putting something like a 12" square, 1.5" deep container, sunken into the gravel and filled with sand, in a 55 gallon or bigger tank would work. I'd be able to arrange the plants around this.

(At the time was looking at possibly getting some Kuhli Loaches, and I know they like sand.)

Anyone know of reasons this wouldn't work?
    I did that one time and it did work for a while until I did a complete substrate change from gravel to all sand. The sand did keep getting mixed with the gravel though so it was not an ideal situation.

Liters to Gallons conversion calculator

"Keeping fish for any period of time doesn't make you experienced if you're doing it wrong. What does, is acknowledging those mistakes and learning from them." ~Aeonflame
    "
    your argument is invalid." ~Mommy1

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I thought about the sandbox type idea for my setup. I use eco complete and all the larger pieces settle on top so when i get my corys i want something soft for them. I was thinking about taking the corner where my driftwood is and making that corner all sand. I can let you know how it goes if you want.
    Link to my Journal: patinthehat's 50g journey
    50g-11 neon tetras, 749 billion pond snails, 3 Bristlenose Plecos, Red Cherry Shrimp, and assassin snails on the way!

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    yeah def. let me know how it goes. im assuming eventually it will be as king fisher said, it will slowly get mixed in just from wear and tear.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    eh it wouldn't bother me any. i mean its not like it stays all nice and neat in nature lol.
    Link to my Journal: patinthehat's 50g journey
    50g-11 neon tetras, 749 billion pond snails, 3 Bristlenose Plecos, Red Cherry Shrimp, and assassin snails on the way!

0 Not allowed!
    http://www.aquariumplants.com/Freshw...trate_p/ss.htm

I use this in 3 of my tanks. Black looks really nice but like all planted tank substrates, it's dusty for a day or so. I also have the amazon. 5 gallons does a 55 very well.

My corys tear all over the place with no problem.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I have a thin layer of sands currently. Sand and gravel don't mix well unless your tank is segmented internally.
    Cory

Welcome to My Blog http://corydorus.blogspot.com