· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks guys. I'm getting really excited now!

I spoke with the guy last night again and its even got lights with it, I'm going to be getting rid of them in favour of my own ones however thats another thing to recoup my costs with lol

I'm going to have a reallly good read and watch as many vids of drilling as I can, I've reduced it to 3 holes in the tank, inside the weir.
    I'm going to run my return from through spray bars and try to create a lovely surface ripple over the whole tank with it!

Now... plans.

As you can see there are 2 cupboards, I'm going to make a sump in each one, they will be as big as I can reasonably fit and will link the final chamber of each one so they gravity balance.

The left hand one will be two chambers. One large section where my Algae scrubber will hang above and return all its water into. This will have a sand bed and some live rock in it. The return pump/heater chamber of this sump will be fairly small but will have a bulkhead in it with pipe going to the other sump routed behind the tank. This will be light 18 hours a day.

The right hand sump again will be as big as possible however I will be partitioning part of it off to use as an RO tank for my Auto topup.

The remaining part of the sump will house another heater, another return pump and a chamber where the inflow of water from the tank will pass through a filter sock and a large bag of carbon.

This will be designed to the be clean sump and will not be light (apart from a small 12v light for using when doing maint.

This can then be used (with the use of a pump guard) as a quiet zone for fish/inverts or even somewhere to put a skimmer if I ever decide to use one.

The tank itself will have a center weir built in it and I will be painting the back a light ocean blue like my existing tank.

The substrate will be a mix of grades of coral sand/coral gravel and I will only be using my existing live rock.

I will be using my 4 foot light unit on the left 2/3rds of the tank and prob running 3x54w T5HO bulbs.
    I'll then use both my 2 foot light units (same type as the 4 foot one) and have the option of using up to 12x24w T5HO bulbs.
    This right hand side is going to be built higher rock wise too so that I can grow my SPS here and use the rest of the tank for softies/LPS.

Flow wise I am going to start off with the existing pumps I have (a mix of koralias and cheap chinese) including the ones currently not in use in my cupboard.

Eventually these will be getting replaced with New wave pumps and a new wave controller.

The controller allows the 2 main pumps to be set on opposite cycles, adjustable between 0.3 and about 5 seconds. One on, one off at a time.

The Third pump on the controller is on/off on its own cycle. This can be set between 3 and 15 seconds (iirc). Combined with the main two (which can create a small wave if set right) this can create a pretty impressive random flow.

The fourth pump on the controller if permenantly on. This will be a pump to be directed behind the rockwork :)

Will start drawing plans once I collect the tank, this is going to be a while before its wet I'm afraid guys!
    Last edited by chrisfraser05; 03-21-2012 at 06:42 PM.
    Used to try and keep track of my fish here.....

Ran out of room and time!!!

Instead I'll tell you the best piece of fishkeeping equipment ever....... Algae Scrubber :)

0 Not allowed!
    A while before it's wet!?!?!??!?!? WTF MAN!!! haha na just kidding definitely take your time and plan this one out since I think once it's up and running it'll be a lot harder to change than a smaller set up

Interesting with the two sumps, I'll be interested to watch that build for sure!! Pictures are your friend haha
    55g Long --> After 18mo of doing well the tank crashed during moving. Most likely cause: Flatworm Die-off... won't start another until after moving... Likely not until late 2013

20g Long --> currently concoting a build plan

Check out the journal to follow my 20g SW tank

"Take a chance, because you never know how perfect some things can turn out" -- unknown

0 Not allowed!
    Will be LOADS of pics with this one bud, promise!

Instead I'll tell you the best piece of fishkeeping equipment ever....... Algae Scrubber :)

0 Not allowed!
    having looked at the size of the tank again and worked out my capacities of my sumps I can now confirm the following....

The tank is actually a little bigger than 180G

It is 6ft 6 inches and and when the weir is setup the water level will be 26 inches high.

This is 800lt or 210G!!!!

Also each sump will hold in excess of 120 lt. This brings me to a figure of over 1000lt total. Taking into account the displacement of my rock I am confident there will be 1000lt of water in the system!!!

Thats 260 US Gallons total water volume after displacement!!

Eeekk lmao

0 Not allowed!
    Swwwweeeeeeettttttttt!! What a pleasant surprise haha

Wow 210 that's pretty big... you could put almost any kind of fish you wanted in there
    55g Long --> After 18mo of doing well the tank crashed during moving. Most likely cause: Flatworm Die-off... won't start another until after moving... Likely not until late 2013

20g Long --> currently concoting a build plan

Check out the journal to follow my 20g SW tank

"Take a chance, because you never know how perfect some things can turn out" -- unknown

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    what a centrepeice that would make in your house.

get rid of the furniture bar the chairs and tv and just get the tank into the living room.

magic.

*wishes for a bigger house with a lot of extra space*

0 Not allowed!
    its gonna be awesome!!!!

0 Not allowed!
    Collecting this tank next monday night :)

Can't wait now!!! its all paid up and everything!!!!

Just to top things off my company have decided to give me a raise in my base rate (as a surprise extra ontop of my expected raises etc) giving me enough money to get ALL the extras (sump glass, pumps, pipework etc) to set the tank up!!!!

The raise will then completely pay for a new car for the wife ha ha ha ha

Delighted!

0 Not allowed!
    What a week! Absolute chaos but I finally have the tank!

Looking at the silicone properly I have decided although it will almost certainly last I may aswell resilicone the whole tank for piece of mind.

I was looking at the stand aswell and although I could adapt it to take a 6 foot sump, or I could do 2 small ones, I really fancy building a new one!

So......

Heres the project list.....

The current stand is going to be turned into a 6 1/2 foot work bench in my garage. I will custom build a stand for the tank and TRY to make it as good looking as one of Cliffs ones (no promises though).
    In doing this I will build a matching top unit to house my lights so will need to tank into account heat build up.

I need to build a custom 6' x 18" x 18" sump.

I will be making a fake rock column/tower with white portland cement for all my sps to live on.

I will be making a fake rock (expanding foam and alfagrog) background.

After much thought I am going to get myself a wave box to create a wave effect in the tank :)

So.... lots to be done. This will NOT be a quick project anymore however, I do intend on making it as good quality as physically possible so it will be worth the wait.

Chris

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Chris you might be on too a very gd idea there with the expanding foam. never thought of that before for making your own diy.rock formatikns etc for a tank. very easy to cut and carve all sorts of holes n caves in it.

do you know what type/make yet is tank safe? definate possibilities on that 1.