· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

0 Not allowed!
    How are your water parameters?

A torn fin from what I've learned here does well with very clean water.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT
    Remember: Our job is to take care of the water our fish live in

0 Not allowed!
    Water must be replaced with the same temp that was removed or your fish can get gas bubble disease. Also the tank needs to be dechlorinatored before adding the new water. They do not like their fins touching anything and need space. Sounds to me as she is in too small of a tank or the tank has too much "stuff" in it.

They can get their fins caught in fake plastic plants that are tight, bushy things. They need be to able to swim thru plants..........tall things like Vals.
    Last edited by Lady Hobbs; 05-07-2012 at 02:53 PM.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by andreahp
    How are your water parameters?
    I know this is completely less than ideal, but I have no more test strips left and no money to buy anymore. As soon as I can I will be buying more but for the mean-time I'm keeping careful watch and doing plenty of waterchanges. I did lose my cycle a few days ago (filter media fell apart) but I've got some seeded material in there at the moment, and am watching the cories particularly because it is my understanding that should there be any buildup of toxins it will affect them first?

Quote Originally Posted by ladyhobbs
    Water must be replaced with the same temp that was removed or your fish can get gas bubble disease. Also the tank needs to be dechlorinatored before adding the new water. They do not like their fins touching anything and need space. Sounds to me as she is in too small of a tank or the tank has too much "stuff" in it.

They can get their fins caught in fake plastic plants that are tight, bushy things. They need be to able to swim thru plants..........tall things like Vals.
    Yes m'am, I've been doing all that. She is in a 37g tank. It is currently stalked with:
    1 angel
    10 black phantom tetras
    1 bolivian ram
    6 bronze cory cats

I have no plastic plants, and plenty of swords and vals and crypts that she loves. I imagine she got the tear from the phantoms, even though they've never bothered her before and steer clear of her now. The phantoms nip each other every now and then and their fins heal up within a day, but I've never seen them swimming strangely, like the angel is now.
    "Can ye fathom the ocean, dark and deep, where the mighty waves and the grandeur sweep?" - Fanny Crosby

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I think I might have found the reason for the messed up swimming... I watched today as she wedged herself in between a piece of driftwood and the side of the tank. Seems to be some algae/something growing there she's crazy over. Well she'd have to fold in all her fins to fit and then she'd get stuck and start thrashing... I moved it around though and have the part of wood she was pecking at exposed, so hopefully things will get better now.
    "Can ye fathom the ocean, dark and deep, where the mighty waves and the grandeur sweep?" - Fanny Crosby

Awards Showcase

Happy Christmas - MuckyFish thanks for advising on vegetables for my kribs! so here is a discus - ScottishFish You help a lot - PhillipOrigami For the bank account, and thx for the rep - Cliff beautiful discus! - Crispy 
    I know this doesn't help but it's all I can do! - chrisfraser05 for all the wise advice you've given me - fishmommie Congrats on 2000th post! - andreahp Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    Thanks for the rep :-) - ~firefly~ appreciate it. - fishmommie Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾̃̾)۶ - korith For all the good advice you give. - ~firefly~ 
    Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff thanks for the rep points.  appreciate it - fishmommie happy friday! - mojosodope Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep! - steeler1 

Smile

0 Not allowed!
    Don't waste your money on test strips. They are not as accurate as a liquid test kit, do not hold up well and are very pricy. Rather, buy the ammonia, nitrite and nitrate liquid test kits (a pH kit is useful, too.) Most major stores carry them and of course, on-line. These are far less costly on a usaged bases. They last forever and are not that hard to use.

0 Not allowed!
    +1 to cermet about staying away from test strips - most forum members use the API freshwater kit - it might cost more initially but there are tons of tests versus shelling out money for strips repeatedly that aren't even reliable or very accurate. At this point, doing water changes is the best thing you can do until you get another way to test your water.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT
    Remember: Our job is to take care of the water our fish live in

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Got it, API it is. And I've been doing two 50% wc each week to help My angel is doing much better now. I have no clue why she'd wedge herself in like that, didn't know they were big on algae.