· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Exclamation Sick Angel? Swimming strangely?

0 Not allowed!
    I recently bought some fish - eight black phantom tetras, three cory cats and one veiled angel. I have them all in a bucket I am using to get them use to the tank's water. The cories and tetras aren't bothering the angel in the slightest, but he's leaning heavily to one side. His fins look fine and at the store he seemed healthy. I've never had an angel before, so I don't know if this is normal for them. Is he okay?
    "Can ye fathom the ocean, dark and deep, where the mighty waves and the grandeur sweep?" - Fanny Crosby

0 Not allowed!
    That's a lotta fish to buy at one time - your angel sounds quite stressed - probably from the move to your home as well as considering the bucket is small and there are toxins building in there due to fish waste/ammonia.

How long have they been in the bucket?
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT
    Remember: Our job is to take care of the water our fish live in

0 Not allowed!
    What's the water temp in the bucket? Is there an airstone for oxygen?

Put the fish in the tank and shut the lights off. I hope you have a quarantine tank to put them in but if not, you have no choice but the tank where they will live.

What does "recently" bought some fish mean? Like........how long ago. You should not have to acclimate fish for much more than 15 minutes and maybe not at all if you bought them in the town where you live because the pH would probably be the same anyway.

What size is your tank?
    Last edited by Lady Hobbs; 03-20-2012 at 05:30 PM.

Awards Showcase

Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl 
    Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass cheers - Fishhook Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook beeeeeeeer! - Sandz 
    Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 We miss you... - Compass thank you for the filter! - RiversGirl for the fun game! - SeaLady Thank you very very much!! - Compass 
    Love the games. Thank you :) - rebecca_finny TGIF! - showmebutterfly Thanks for your help & points. - metweezer Nice to see you around again. enjoy the pie - fishmommie Thanks! :) I try! - Compass 

0 Not allowed!
    How much water is in the bucket? I have seen angels swim like that many times when the water isn't quite "tall" enough for them to feel comfortable.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Recently means about 30 minutes ago. They've been in the bucket for close to twenty - I really don't want to shock them - but I'm placing them in now. Will he be alright once he's in the tank? It's thirty seven gallons, cycled, with no other fish.
    "Can ye fathom the ocean, dark and deep, where the mighty waves and the grandeur sweep?" - Fanny Crosby

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I didn't think of putting my air stone in, I feel so foolish now :( I was using it in my fry tank but once I put it in the bucket, the angel started swimming around, and seems fine now.

0 Not allowed!
    Lights off. Let them calm down and rest up and don't feed them until tomorrow.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Great, thanks for the advice While we're on the topic of angelfish, the sales person sold me sinking shrimp pellets for the cories. Can I feed them to the angel too?

0 Not allowed!
    I would think that if the angel goes to the bottom to grab them or manages to catch one on the way down then go for it : )
    I have catfish pellets for my corys but my shrimp steal them sometimes instead of taking their algae tablets - many fish will accept much more than 1 type of food.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT
    Remember: Our job is to take care of the water our fish live in

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Hey, I figured instead of making a whole new thread I could just post again in here... the angelfish has been doing wonderfully so far. However I noticed three days ago she was leaving to one side. I did a water change and turned off the lights, but it didn't seem to help. Her top fin has a tear in it but nothing too major and none of the fish seem to be bugging her. I've put an extra airstone in there to try and help.

Any idea what's going on? She's eating fine and swimming strongly, just tilted, even when she's sleeping. I noticed this right after a waterchange - could I have hurt her without realizing it during the wc?
    Last edited by TheVoldevader; 05-07-2012 at 01:17 PM.