· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unhappy New with a guppy problem

0 Not allowed!
    I would like to introduce myself as a new fish hobbyist, although we have had an African Clawed Frog, which up until about 3 weeks ago had the luxury of a 20 g tank all to himself. In doing some reading I can see that I have made several errors in getting my first tank going. Now I need some advice on how to proceed in hopefully saving my fish.
    After my daughter offered me some of her fancy guppies I set Mr. Frog, Sam, up in a 10 g tank where he seems very happy. I moved his submersible filter along with him to his new tank because he loves to hide under it. I cleaned up the 20 g tank really well (gravel, plastic plants, decorations) by rinsing and sponging with very hot water in the bathtub. I bought a new filter, heater, and a bubble wand; started the aquarium up and let it run for several days. I then put in 4 male guppies and 2 very young females from my daughter's tank. I unknowingly failed to cycle the tank as I now know about! Shame on me. I shall inform my daughter who must have gotten away without performing this step in her tank setup. My second mistake was buying a pair of guppies from my local Fin and Feather store. The male did not make it, but the pregnant female is still doing okay in the tank with my others. However, yesterday one of the males began acting strangely. He was staying at the bottom under the bubble wand. He would come to the top for food at feeding time, but then swim past the food. I noticed he had a bare spot on the top of his head behind his eyes. My daughter gave me some tablets called "Fungus Guard" to put in the tank. It turned the water blue then green. She thought perhaps there was some kind of problem from the frog having been in there that my cleaning failed to get rid of properly. This morning all my guppies had the same spot where it looks like their scales are missing on top behind the eyes. Also, they are staying at the top of the tank as if they are not getting enough 02. The 2 very small fish do not that affected though. Any ideas or helpful suggestions would be much appreciated.

Donna

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    The cleaning thing is something alot of beginners don't know. If you do decide to clean your tank or equipment don't do it all or once and DO NOT clean them with regular tap water, always use old tank water.

If you have a test kit, giving us your ph, ammonoia, nitrite and nitrate levels would be extremely helpful in diagnosing your problem. If you don't have a test kit do about a 50% water change to be safe and try to get a test kit or get your water tested and let us know the parameters.

It would also be good to pick up a bacterial additive such as seachem stability to help jump start the cycling process and rebuild beneficial bacteria after cleanings and water changes.
    40 Gallon Breeder Planted: harlequin rasbora rummynose tetra corydoras cherry barbs

40 Gallon Breeder Reef: In progress!

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Is there anyway you could post a picture?

It would also be very helpful if we had your water parameters. The more information you can give us, the better we will be able to help.

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks so much for your quick response. I do not have a complete test kit, only a ph kit which tests at 7.0. I will order a complete kit for future use. As to the 50% water change, I should try to keep the temperature as close to what the guppy are in as possible. This will be fun! The fish store is closed until Tuesday so I am hoping my fish can hold out until after that. I thought guppy would be so much fun because they are livebearers. Oh my. Thanks again. I should get busy here.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    no problem! we're here to help! just be sure to try to get us some parameters as quick as possible, your right about the temperature too as a drastic change in temperature can cause shock.
    40 Gallon Breeder Planted: harlequin rasbora rummynose tetra corydoras cherry barbs

40 Gallon Breeder Reef: In progress!

Default Trying a picture

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by homemadepopcorn
    Is there anyway you could post a picture?

It would also be very helpful if we had your water parameters. The more information you can give us, the better we will be able to help.

I am trying a picture, not sure how it will work. As I said before I can only test for ph right now which checks out fine.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Larger picture

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Donna O
    I am trying a picture, not sure how it will work. As I said before I can only test for ph right now which checks out fine.
    Please forgive me. I am still learning my way around the forum. I thought a larger picture may be more helpful.

Donna
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default You are all so helpful

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by ridgenesss
    no problem! we're here to help! just be sure to try to get us some parameters as quick as possible, your right about the temperature too as a drastic change in temperature can cause shock.

Will do and thank you and thank you!

0 Not allowed!
    Also make sure you are using water conditioner with the water changes. Until you can get a test kit and things to help, it would be a wise idea to change some of the water daily, at least 25 percent until you have a test kit to see whats going on.

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    you can take a clean jar with tank water in to your lfs and they can test it and get them to write down the results it may cost around 2 or 3 dollars but if you dont own one thats the only other way to get the results of the water.