· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Unhappy unidentifiable disease in betta, please help

0 Not allowed!
    The last week or so my betta has seemed sick. At first we thought it was swimbladder as he was pretty bloated, we separated him and he seemed to be doing a little better so we let him out into the tank again. At this point the bloating had gone down, but he still wasn't acting normal. Before he got whatever he has he was a very active fish; he would stay near the top near his plants, eat enthusiastically, and follow your finger around the sides of the tank. Now he only eats occasionally, and doesn't seem interested in any of his foods at all (we've tried everything: bloodworms, daphnia, brine shrimp, tubifex worms, mysis shrimp, and beefheart; we have tried both freeze dried and frozen types). Normally he would be excited for any and all of these, especially the frozen variations. But recently he hasn't shown much interest in any of them.

Last night around 11:00pm as my boyfriend and I were getting ready for bed we noticed the betta laying at the bottom of the tank hiding in one of our plants. Again, he normally does not behave like this and we watched him for a few minutes to make sure he was alright. While we were watching him he went crazy. It was like he was possessed. He was darting around the tank what seemed like out of his control, he then started darting in circles in the center of the tank and appeared to be "chasing his tail", at one point it looked like he folded in half and started twitching. This lasted only a couple minutes but really startled us. When it was over he went back to the bottom of the tank and lied down on the gravel/back in the plant. We didn't know what to do, so we immediately moved him into a 3 gallon tank by himself (he normally resides in a 29 gallon community tank).

Since the episode last night we have not witnessed any more of the weird spinning behavior, but he still is not acting normal. He mopes around the tank as if he is depressed and rarely comes to the surface. He seems to be eating a little bit, but not as much as he would before.

We looked up seizures in fish as that is exactly what it looked like, but could not find anything. All that came up was "whirling disease". We spent about three hours googling and researching last night and still cannot figure out what it could possibly be.

We fear that he may have "whirling disease" but unfortunately there is not much information about whirling disease in aquarium fish (as it is apparently only most common in the salmonid family). Would whirling disease cause an "episode" like this or is it constant? Are there other symptoms to look for in whirling disease? Is there any possibility this could be anything else that is treatable?

We had fed him live black worms that we got at a small pet shop about a week or so ago. We have read that the disease can be transmitted through live black worms or other types or worms being mixed up in the black worms. We contacted the pet store we got them from this morning and were pretty much told we were crazy because the manager had "never heard of them causing ANY disease" and "never heard of whirling disease" (therefore it must not exist? ugh).

If anyone could help it would be greatly appreciated. We don't really know what else to do at this point and we cannot find this behavior linked to anything except whirling disease. We have come to a block and need help. Thank you.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    If there are no visible signs of disease then its something internal?

How often do you feed your betta?

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    How are water parameters?
    10gal Betta Tank - Skye the crowntail and Squiggles the deformed albino cory
    10gal Tank- Glofish
    75gal- Everything

0 Not allowed!
    Whirling disease I believe is only heard of in fish like trout and salmon. It's very contagious. Your betta almost sounds as he was startled. I would leave him alone in the 3 gallon tank (lights out) and allow him to fast for a day or two or only feed him some peas for now.

There lifespan is only a couple of years and we never know how old they are when purchased so hopefully he's not at the end of his life-cycle.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    He is only fed twice a day, once in the morning when I wake up and again around dinner time. But recebtly he hasn't really been eating his food, he'll pick at it but spits most of it back out.

I just checked the water parameters on all my tanks this morning. The 3 gallon he's quarantined in is fine and the 29 gallon he was in before is a little bit high but not very much at all.

The reason I had thought whirling disease is because as I was googling it was the only thing coming up with his symptoms. It's only been documented in the salmonid family but I have read about other people experiencing their fish having it (bettas, platy's, mollies, cory's). Someone told me it might possibly be an internal parasite as some share the symptoms he's showed so I'm treating him for that as of last night. I haven't seen him have an episode where he freaked out lie the other day since but he still seems pretty miserable and depressed.

And he can't be more than a few months old. I did get him from a pet store but I got him as a baby. He's been in our house doing great for about two months and then this. And since he lives in a tank and is well taken care of instead of living in a bowl (as bettas should not be kept in bowls) I'm hoping he lives his full life expectancy - which should be about 7 years when cared for correctly.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Ammonia is a little high*
    Just realized I didn't specify WHAT was a little high.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sara-Lee
    Ammonia is a little high*
    Just realized I didn't specify WHAT was a little high.
    You also didn't specify the actual number it tested at... Any ammonia at ALL in a cycled tank is an indicator that something is off.

WCs are in order until you get it sorted.
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    My liquid test isn't pickong up the ammonia. I use API master test kit. The lowest it picks up is 0.25 ppm. I also have a Mardel ph and ammonia monitor in my tank which is reading caution 0.02 (it doesn't specify but I'm assuming its in ppm). I just recently added a couple new fish to that tank and assumed that was related to the small spike.

0 Not allowed!
    Is your API kit expired by any chance?

Did you QT those fish?
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Does he still look bloated? What is his normal diet? The foods you listed are VERY rich (with the exception of the daphnia) and should only be fed occasionally. Too often or too much of those kinds of foods leads to constipation and bloat.

The betta was likely startled and since he can't swim properly due to bloating, that's why he spun rather than swam away to hide like a fish would normally do.

Fast him for a day, then see if you can get him to eat a chopped up pea or daphnia... don't offer anything else for several days.
    "The Dumpster Tank" 26g flat back hex - Betta albimarginata, corydoras, checker barbs, pork chop rasbora

"Nano Fish Tank" 20g long - Celestial Pearl Danios, microrasboras, Corydoras habrosus

"Mbuna Tank" 75g - Ps. saulosi, I. sprengerae, M. pulpican, M. joanjohnsonae

"Time Out Tank" 29g - dominant male Cynotilapia sp. "hara"