· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Betta Sorority - BiOrb 16G Acrylic Tank

0 Not allowed!
    Today is the 04/04/2012 and the beginning of my project log.

A little history...

To give you some background I am a complete noob aquarist, the last time I had a tank was probably close to twenty years ago. And I don't even remember what was in it, yes, I was that young.

My mother had a massive custom made acrylic tank in a cafe we used to own in Brighton, but that has long gone now. I distinctly remember we had a puffa fish amongst some placos and other stuff in there. It cost an absolute fortune at the time.

-

Today, however marks a new start in my aquarist adventures. A new tank has arrived. This is not a hardcore "aquarist" tank, it is more like a centrepiece for the living room; living art.

** Before I go any further I would like to point out I am not interested in any mindless ranting about the style of the tank or BiOrb in general (I've seen a lot of it on some forums) and I'm just not interested unless its constructive.

The tank in question is a BiOrb Life 60 litre or 16 gallons. It arrived today. I've taken some pictures so you can see what you get the box.

I intend to turn this tank into a Betta Sorority - a challenge I know. But one I am looking forward to, I've been doing plenty of research over the last week or so and I'm looking forward to getting started and will be recording everything I do along the way.

Can I just say that the tank clarity is absolutely amazing, really makes glass look naff, at first I thought they hadn't put the panels on!

So time for the pictures...

Last edited by FishyFingers; 04-04-2012 at 08:26 PM.

0 Not allowed!
    Can't wait to see what it is and help :)
    Its Phillip, not Origami.
    Join the 10+ club

Clicky!
    http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=184368
    ^Read

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I have no opinion about the actual Biorb tank but I will say this: Unfortunately, the tank simply isn't appropriate for a betta sorority. It doesn't allow for enough territory.

Betta sororities are difficult under the best conditions (at least a 3 foot long tank, at least 5 females, lots of plants and hiding spots, etc.) and a disaster waiting to happen in anything less than the perfect conditions.

Any chance you'll rethink your stocking plans?
    "The Dumpster Tank" 26g flat back hex - Betta albimarginata, corydoras, checker barbs, pork chop rasbora

"Nano Fish Tank" 20g long - Celestial Pearl Danios, microrasboras, Corydoras habrosus

"Mbuna Tank" 75g - Ps. saulosi, I. sprengerae, M. pulpican, M. joanjohnsonae

"Time Out Tank" 29g - dominant male Cynotilapia sp. "hara"

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    +1 to nick. It doesn't seem much room for a sorority. Sorority needs 5 or more females to prevent aggression according to what i've read.
    Da name's Paul. Not Dave. ROFL

Learn to give and take. That's how things should always work.

Awards Showcase

Why thank-you - Cliff The grammar crab has you in its grasp! D: - Trillianne Thanks for the clarification - Mith A few clown for the fellow SW clowns. :D - ILuvMyGoldBarb sorry about your angelfish - smaug 
    Many cultures donw through the ages have known that Ice cream is the perfect band-aid for all occasions. ~  Sorry for your loss. - 850R Here's some Christmass Cheer, Happy Holidays Sheamurai - Cliff merry xmas, keep good care of him - genocidex Beer! The perfect gift for any occasion - Merry Chrismas! - 850R I'm glad your here and a active forum member - Cliff 
    penguin for a friend XD - genocidex Thanks for the help with that spammer !!! - Cliff Thank you for the kind words - Cliff Merry Christmas - Cliff To help you re-stock the tank - Cliff 
    Discus and Beer! - Sandz To Discus Days!!! - JudiJetson For very clear advice! - houdini56 Happy Holidays! - Rue Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 

0 Not allowed!
    Hmm, thats 16gal? It doesn't look that big in the pics. What are the measurements, if you don't mind me asking?

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I've had lots of comments, people saying it is suitable, its not suitable, I'm certainly open to alternative stocking advice.

Height: 25 inches (63cm)
    Width: 16.5 inches (42cm))
    Depth: 11 inches (28cm)
    Weight (Full): 144 pounds (65kg)

0 Not allowed!
    I believe a betta sorority was a recommendation in the OP's other post that originally asked for suggestions for this tank. I don't know what would be good as I don't have the experience, but is there any kind of fish that can benefit from height vs width in a tank?
    ~Manna
    10 gallon live planted aquarium with 6 neons
    90 gallon fw community in progress

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Good luck with it, whatever you do. I recently changed my BiUbe to use a proper filter because, to be honest, they're not very well designed tanks, and trapping fish under the filter was a real worry for me.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Let us know how your setup goes, whatever you decide, I have an 8 gallon life tank and it is sitting empty on my desk and I have been contemplating setting it back up but am not sure what to put in it yet

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I would agree that that tank would not be sutable for a betta sororety. I have a 10g that houses 3 female bettas (used to have more, but they got picked on and died. I MIGHT be having 2 new ones arive on wednesday).

I am not sure if this tank is big enough for one or not but an Angel Fish might look nice there.
    Lots of tanks. Some tanks are planted. Fish include community and bettas.
    2 Dachshunds. Angel (Red) and Cookie (Chocolate Dapple).
    Shiny Things and Beauty the rabbits.
    RIP Princess and Max the Dachshunds, Tiger and Ping Pong the rabbits, and all the fishes from when I was a newbie.
    It is Ldoerr NOT Idoerr.
    Black kitten named Midnight that was found 10/29/12