· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Default Dislocated wing?

0 Not allowed!
    Our cockatiel just took a fall and now he cant fully open one of his wings. He can fly either. Im wondering if he dislocated it. He doesnt seem to be in any pain. Hes is acting normal other then the wing issue and is curently puffed up preening like he normally does before bed.

Is there anything we can do for him or do we need to take him to a vet? Im not even sure there's an avian vet in the area, will most vets take in birds?

Thank you for any help

29 gallon-planted community

20 long frag tank
    75 gal-planted goldfish

75 gallon mixed reef with 20 gallon sump

0 Not allowed!
    Probably broke it. I don't have the faintest idea of how it can be fixed or if it will repair itself in time. I'd keep him caged so he isn't using it.

0 Not allowed!
    After watching him a while, i dont think its broken, i found 3 long feathers where he fell and his left wing is much shorter then the right. I thing he just lost his flight feathers on that wing when he fell. Ill keep an eye on him for the next few days but i think they should be good when they grow back.

20 long frag tank
    75 gal-planted goldfish

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    keep an eye and see how much he uses the wing. if he can stretch it out when preening then it should be ok. If you see the bird not using the wing at all over a couple days then you would be better to get it looked at. Hard to tell sometimes unless you can actually see the wing hanging down at all.

If you hurt your leg or go over on your ankle etc we tend to keep the weight off and restrict movement to lessen the pain. Might have just taken a wack and a bit tender.

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas Douglas - Taurus Please enjoy this holiday hog! - Trillianne Have a super christmas! - Aeonflame Congrats on 1 year! - andreahp Congrats on 1 year! - jeffs99dime 
    Happy One-Year! - Rue Happy New Year! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 No Message - 850R Now THAT was a nice quiet beer... But now that we have had another... Let's go break stuff!! :-P - 850R 
    Thanks for the rep/compliments! - mojosodope Thanks for the rep the other day, cheers - Cliff ...they go with snow, right? - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas - mommy1 Merry Christmas - KingFisher Happy New Year - mommy1 Thanks! - pRED 

0 Not allowed!
    Maybe its just sprained, hope he gets better!
    My therapist says I need a bigger tank . . . . .

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by HEADIN
    keep an eye and see how much he uses the wing. if he can stretch it out when preening then it should be ok. If you see the bird not using the wing at all over a couple days then you would be better to get it looked at. Hard to tell sometimes unless you can actually see the wing hanging down at all.

If you hurt your leg or go over on your ankle etc we tend to keep the weight off and restrict movement to lessen the pain. Might have just taken a wack and a bit tender.
    +1 to this. Most likely after you watch him for a while, you will see him get over it. If not you can always take him in, although I think the only thing they would do is wrap it with vet wrap to immobilize while it heals. You could do that yourself.

Wow, I see you have over 4,000 posts here! Are you a member of a bird forum too? They can be just as addicting, and you could ask them about this, and they would know more.

0 Not allowed!
    He seems to be able to move it fine and doesnt favor it. He was flapping it normally with his morning stretch. He just wont be flying untill those 3 flight feathers grow back. Silly bird clipped his own wings, lol. I will keep an eye on him for a few days

20 long frag tank
    75 gal-planted goldfish

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Finnie

Wow, I see you have over 4,000 posts here! Are you a member of a bird forum too? They can be just as addicting, and you could ask them about this, and they would know more.
    I have twice as many post here as we do one the 2 local reef forums we frequent combined, lol. We are a member of a bird forum, we just never go on it. I bet we made 2 post in 3 years. Not as much to talk about as there is with aquariums, lol.

20 long frag tank
    75 gal-planted goldfish

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    If hes.flappin away he's fine. thisw feathers will grow in no time.

If he had taken.any sort of damage u wud notice restritcted movement vey easy. birds are tough little nippers that can take some knocks.

Awards Showcase

for posting that article, I laughed so much!!!!!!!! - ScottishFish Kick back and enjoy the day when your done your painting - Cliff thanks for the rep! - EowynShieldmaiden Otis thanks you for the rep - Cliff This one will have a longer life span, sorry to hear about your fish - Cliff 
    For being a smarty pants and figuring out my riddle so fast! :) - escamosa The last one of these Ill ever give! Enjoy the AC bucks Rue! - smaug Yes, there is still a place in today's world for the  Darwin Awarads - Cliff Thanks for the Rep!!! :) - C-Dub Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    Merry Christmas Rue - jeffs99dime Holiday Ham has come today from the eve until Boxing Day! - Trillianne Merry Cristmas and Happy Holidays Rue. - Strider199 It's a Christmas Bunny, Merry Christmas. - gadget228 lol, thanks for the rep.  Have one on me! =] - KevinVA 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Thanks!  You have a great holiday season as well! - sheamurai Merry Christmas - gadget228 What is a good Holiday Ham to do, but bring some cheer to my good friend Rue! - Trillianne Just Because - Surfdog 
    Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Rue Eating Disorders - Esophageal Cancer - Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease - Irritable Bowel Syndrome - Pulmonary Hypertension - Rue 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by labnjab
    I have twice as many post here as we do one the 2 local reef forums we frequent combined, lol. We are a member of a bird forum, we just never go on it. I bet we made 2 post in 3 years. Not as much to talk about as there is with aquariums, lol.

I think that's funny...I was on a bird forum for years...there was so MUCH more to talk about I thought...but it disbanded and I never found another one with the same great group of folks...

And that's why I'm still here...great group of folks...

BTW...many years ago I had a 'tiel with 2 broken wings (night fright incident). All the vet did was tape her wings to her body so they could heal. And they did...but she never could fly again...
    55 g Goldfish Tank - 5 Fancies, 2 Dojos
    25 g Tropical Tank - Celestial Pearl Danio/Mixed