· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Guppies in saltwater?

0 Not allowed!
    I know guppies can live in brakish water, if I acclimated some in their own tank over, say, a month, would they do alright in saltwater? I'd probably do females, as the long tails on the males would slow them down in the feeding rush.
    I hate hearing people say "it's only a $3/$5/$1 fish/shrimp, so it's ok if it dies, I can just get another." It's still an animal! All animals should be treated like they're worth $10,000.
    29 sw: Damsel, shrimpgoby, pistol shrimp, waspfish
    65 fw: Rummies, glowlight tetras, pencilfish, darters, ottos, f betta, goby, dwarf gourami, ninjas
    29 fw: Chili rasboras, pygmy cories, P. Gertrudae

0 Not allowed!
    It is possible but they would need to be properly conditioned and acclimated over a period of time.
    <-- Click for journals
    "There is no right way to do the wrong thing." - KingFisher "Only bad things happen fast in this hobby" - Cliff

0 Not allowed!
    Even if it is possible, what possible reason would you have for wanting to do that?

Liters to Gallons conversion calculator

"Keeping fish for any period of time doesn't make you experienced if you're doing it wrong. What does, is acknowledging those mistakes and learning from them." ~Aeonflame
    "
    your argument is invalid." ~Mommy1

0 Not allowed!
    I had a Molly acclimated to full saltwater holding the cycle in a qt tank for a few months, but it didn't make it one day when we moved it to the display, I think it got into one of our anemones and got eaten or our clowns fed it to one of the nems. No sign of it at all.

Imo, I think Mollies and guppies do well in saltwater, but I don't think they are tough enough to survive some of the dangers in a reef (like aggressive fish and stinging coral and anemones, or high current).

29 gallon-planted community

20 long frag tank
    75 gal-planted goldfish

75 gallon mixed reef with 20 gallon sump

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I just think having a couple of guppies in my saltwater tank would be nice. How long would you say I need to acclimate them? I was also considering mollies.
    I hate hearing people say "it's only a $3/$5/$1 fish/shrimp, so it's ok if it dies, I can just get another." It's still an animal! All animals should be treated like they're worth $10,000.
    65 fw: Rummies, glowlight tetras, pencilfish, darters, ottos, f betta, goby, dwarf gourami, ninjas

0 Not allowed!
    You can do a slow drip for several hours and they will be good, but I would recommend 24 hours or so. I took a month but I was a little lazy at the time, but they don't need nearly that long to acclimate

29 gallon-planted community

20 long frag tank
    75 gal-planted goldfish

75 gallon mixed reef with 20 gallon sump

Awards Showcase

Have a martini on me fellow western marylander - jbeining75 thank you so much my puffer and i are very happy - Angila Heres one! :D - Wild Turkey nice plecos - KingFisher For all your advice  thanks - Celtic Fins 
    for your kind comments. - Celtic Fins Merry Christmas - Northernguy Awesome help with my loaches - R2 Ranch Seasons Greetings. Have a great Christmas - Celtic Fins Wishing You A Happy New Year!!! - Jill 
    Happy New year - Celtic Fins May the Anti troll force be with you. - Celtic Fins 2001 posts! - Northernguy For your helpful fry advice - Cliff Its not a featherfin but thanks for the info!lol - Northernguy 
    Merry Christmas!!!!  :) - Ellen4God 

0 Not allowed!
    Mollies are quite capable of living in full salt indefinitely, they just get eaten rather quickly when washed out to sea.

^^^^Please click the eggs/dragons, thanks.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Do you think being in saltwater would make guppies not breed?

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishkeeper
    Do you think being in saltwater would make guppies not breed?
    I don't think a vascetomy could keep guppies from breeding.
    125g - 6 Zig Zag Rainbows, 6 Turquoise Rainbows, 6 Boesmani Rainbows, 5 otos, 6 corys

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I wanna try this now. Can someone msg me some specific needs for transferring guppies to salt water?
    PLUR: Learn it, Love it, Live it