· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dwarf Lionfish

1. Default Dwarf Lionfish

0 Not allowed!
    So a friend told me about his friend whom of which is selling a Dwarf Lionfish (Not sure of the exact species) and I was wondering if it would be a good idea to buy. I've been researching lionfish and I think it would be pretty doable and a nice addition to my tank. My worry is if it would be dangerous to my other fish. The one in particular is a juvenile Purple Firefish Goby. Would the Lionfish go for this fish, because I don't want it being eaten, it's probably the favorite part of my aquarium. I also have two juvenile Bangaii Cardinals, but they're a little bigger, so I'm more concerned for the Goby. I read that the Lionfish is a shy/docile fish, but also that it's a predator, so I have no clue what to do. On the plus side of not getting it, my other fish are not at risk, and I save $60 so...idk
    PLUR: Learn it, Love it, Live it

0 Not allowed!
    Saltwater, right? Will move to correct forum.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Look at the size of the lions mouth. If it fits it gets eaten. How big is your tank and what is your stock list?

0 Not allowed!
    By looking at your blog, you have a 15 gallon tank with live rock and some smaller and medium sized fish already

I would not add a dwarf lionfish to your set-up. They can be some-what aggressive and most of your fish are peaceful. Not a good match IMO. I would say you tank is currently overstocked so adding anything else would not be a good idea
    Last edited by Cliff; 03-09-2012 at 02:27 PM.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

0 Not allowed!
    Your tank is way to small. Dwarf lion is 33G minimum, with them being sole occupent. Don't let the word Dwarf lull you into believing it will stay small. It will grow and as mentioned, fit's in mouth, it will be eaten, unless your other fish are fast swimmer's with ;lots of rocks to hide in. These are very dirty fish in regards to Nitrate production as well.
    Last edited by Surfdog; 03-11-2012 at 07:24 PM.
    Life is tough, it's even tougher if your stupid.

If your not angry, your not paying attention...

150G FWLR (Morays) 75G Fresh (Assrtd) 24G Cube (Reef/Goby) 10G Fresh (Beta)

0 Not allowed!
    I'll throw my hat in with the rest. Not only is your tank too small, the fish in it will become lunch for the lion.
    Considering a Marine Aquarium? A Breakdown of the Components, Live Rock, Cycling a Marine Tank

"The capacity to learn is a gift; The ability to learn is a skill; The WILLINGNESS to learn is a choice." - Unknown

Awards Showcase

Why thank-you - Cliff The grammar crab has you in its grasp! D: - Trillianne Thanks for the clarification - Mith A few clown for the fellow SW clowns. :D - ILuvMyGoldBarb sorry about your angelfish - smaug 
    Many cultures donw through the ages have known that Ice cream is the perfect band-aid for all occasions. ~  Sorry for your loss. - 850R Here's some Christmass Cheer, Happy Holidays Sheamurai - Cliff merry xmas, keep good care of him - genocidex Beer! The perfect gift for any occasion - Merry Chrismas! - 850R I'm glad your here and a active forum member - Cliff 
    penguin for a friend XD - genocidex Thanks for the help with that spammer !!! - Cliff Thank you for the kind words - Cliff Merry Christmas - Cliff To help you re-stock the tank - Cliff 
    Discus and Beer! - Sandz To Discus Days!!! - JudiJetson For very clear advice! - houdini56 Happy Holidays! - Rue Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 

0 Not allowed!
    You've already recieved good advice about whether or not to get the Lion, so I'll just chime in with a

to AC!
    20gal long planted community

Smile

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by sheamurai
    You've already recieved good advice about whether or not to get the Lion, so I'll just chime in with a

to AC!
    Dohh, I forgot as well, Welcome to a great site!
    Life is tough, it's even tougher if your stupid.

If your not angry, your not paying attention...

150G FWLR (Morays) 75G Fresh (Assrtd) 24G Cube (Reef/Goby) 10G Fresh (Beta)

0 Not allowed!
    Also not to mention the fact that dwarf lion species aside from Radiatas are notoriously difficult to get to accept prepared foods, and are not beginner friendly. They require mature tanks and a dedicated keeper who is willing to meet their dietary needs as well as their high standard of water quality.
    20G High-Tech Planted|50G High-Tech Planted|50G Goldfish Tank|56G Column Low-Tech Planted

4x75Gs coming soon

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Just wanted to welcome you to the Family. I know nothing about Saltwater.