· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default how many oscars i can buy for a 50 gallon tank?

0 Not allowed!
    I have a 50 gallon tank , so I am planning to make it a oscar aquarium. So how many oscars I can put into this tank ? I will probably buy medium sized oscars like 6-8 inches.I will purchase within 2 days. please advice me.

Currently the tank is empty,with just 2 plecos in it. they are both 6 inch long.So will the oscars attack those plecos ?just asking.

0 Not allowed!
    None. they require a minimum tank size of 75 gallons for a single fish.

Liters to Gallons conversion calculator

"Keeping fish for any period of time doesn't make you experienced if you're doing it wrong. What does, is acknowledging those mistakes and learning from them." ~Aeonflame
    "
    your argument is invalid." ~Mommy1

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    ops , oright , seems like i have to look for a new fish then. thanks

0 Not allowed!
    No oscar as already stated, but what type of plecos do you have?

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas Scottishfish - jeffs99dime Merry Christmas Douglas - Taurus Please enjoy this holiday hog! - Trillianne Have a super christmas! - Aeonflame Congrats on 1 year! - andreahp 
    Congrats on 1 year! - jeffs99dime Happy One-Year! - Rue Happy New Year! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 No Message - 850R 
    Now THAT was a nice quiet beer... But now that we have had another... Let's go break stuff!! :-P - 850R Thanks for the rep/compliments! - mojosodope Thanks for the rep the other day, cheers - Cliff ...they go with snow, right? - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff 
    Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas - mommy1 Merry Christmas - KingFisher Happy New Year - mommy1 

0 Not allowed!
    IMO oscars are one of the main causes for 'multiple tank syndrome'. I'd love to own one!

How about different smaller cichlids? In a 50gallon I'd say you could have 5 bolivian rams 4 firemouths and maybe an angelfish, depending on how peaceful the firemouths are, they can be gentle giants or quite grumpy.
    My therapist says I need a bigger tank . . . . .

0 Not allowed!
    If your plecos are commons you will also need to find them new homes, depending on the specific species they can reach 12-18"+. There are many awesome cichlids for a 50G tank, sadly Oscars are not one of them. What are the dimmensions of the tank?
    20G High-Tech Planted|50G High-Tech Planted|50G Goldfish Tank|56G Column Low-Tech Planted

4x75Gs coming soon

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottishFish
    How about different smaller cichlids? In a 50gallon I'd say you could have 5 bolivian rams 4 firemouths and maybe an angelfish, depending on how peaceful the firemouths are, they can be gentle giants or quite grumpy.

I like this... rams and firemouths? Awesome.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottishFish
    In a 50gallon I'd say you could have 5 bolivian rams 4 firemouths and maybe an angelfish, depending on how peaceful the firemouths are, they can be gentle giants or quite grumpy.
    once I get a big enough tank, I think I'll have to get a firemouth. They must be good with all the lobbying ScottishFish does for them.

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas Scottishfish - jeffs99dime Merry Christmas Douglas - Taurus Please enjoy this holiday hog! - Trillianne Have a super christmas! - Aeonflame Congrats on 1 year! - andreahp 
    Congrats on 1 year! - jeffs99dime Happy One-Year! - Rue Happy New Year! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 No Message - 850R 
    Now THAT was a nice quiet beer... But now that we have had another... Let's go break stuff!! :-P - 850R Thanks for the rep/compliments! - mojosodope Thanks for the rep the other day, cheers - Cliff ...they go with snow, right? - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff 
    Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas - mommy1 Merry Christmas - KingFisher Happy New Year - mommy1 

Default lobbying for firemouths?

0 Not allowed!
    Me lobyying for the mighty firemouth? Never thought I spoke about them that much :-p hehe yeah I admit I'm a firemouth junkie!!!! Not a bad thing though is it? I will admit so far I've had a really lucky run with mine, got him when he was like an inch or so, so growing up with company he is in no way aggressive with aaaaany fish. He even got bullied by a dwarf gourami that was the same size as him!! Hehe big gentle giant really! Had him for around 2 and a half months now and he is around 2 inches!! Growing very quickly!
    My therapist says I need a bigger tank . . . . .

0 Not allowed!
    Lobbying for fish isn't bad, most people here do it. Like for harlequins or plecos or IMO the biggest fish lobbied for is some kind of ram, be it bolivian, gold or GBRs.