· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Question ADF's Upside Down

0 Not allowed!
    You know how sharks have that catatonic thing if tipped upside down? Do ADF's have it too? My one frog Sunny is impossible to net, because she is super skinny and slips thru the smallest crack between net and glass. And she is lightning fast. But she isnt afraid of my hand (trained with bloodworms, mmm...), so the one time a few months ago i gave up and just grabbed her. I accidentally flipped her upside down when i did so, and she instantly froze. As soon as i turned her right side up she started to kick and struggle again, and i flipped her upside down (sorry, curiosity) and again, she froze.

Yesterday my other frog Spectre and her were fighting over the same bloodworm (bad timing to throw one in i guess) and in the struggle Spectre got flipped over. And just like Sunny last month, instant freeze. He dropped the worm when he got flipped, and Sunny ran away triumphantly, but he just sat there upside down on the bottom until i was nice and flipped him over again.

Has anybody else noticed things like this, or is there something wierd going on with my frogs? Both are very healthy and active, and Spectre is very nice and fat. I dont think they are sick, but this catatonic thing is odd...
    10gal Betta Tank - Skye the crowntail and Squiggles the deformed albino cory
    10gal Tank- Glofish
    75gal- Everything

0 Not allowed!
    How long have you had these frogs?

Its normal for frogs to "freeze" when they are startled, but usually within a minute or two when the "threat" is removed to start moving around again.

If your frog remains upside down or starts floating at the top for hours on end and seems unable to get back down, suspect Chytrid Fungus.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I read that one post about Chytrid, and they dont have that. Ive had Sunny since July 2011 and Spectre since December 2011. Spectre might have just done it out of surprise when Sunny attacked him for the worm (hes half her size). Sunny is different though, she only does the freezing if she is manually flipped over, and i havent tested because it looks uncomfortable, but from what i saw she seems to stay frozen as long as she is upside down. Is manually flipping a threat then? Odd defense mechanism....
    10gal Tank- Glofish
    75gal- Everything

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas Scottishfish - jeffs99dime Merry Christmas Douglas - Taurus Please enjoy this holiday hog! - Trillianne Have a super christmas! - Aeonflame Congrats on 1 year! - andreahp 
    Congrats on 1 year! - jeffs99dime Happy One-Year! - Rue Happy New Year! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 No Message - 850R 
    Now THAT was a nice quiet beer... But now that we have had another... Let's go break stuff!! :-P - 850R Thanks for the rep/compliments! - mojosodope Thanks for the rep the other day, cheers - Cliff ...they go with snow, right? - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff 
    Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas - mommy1 Merry Christmas - KingFisher Happy New Year - mommy1 

0 Not allowed!
    Sounds like a defence measure, kind of like playing possom.
    My therapist says I need a bigger tank . . . . .

0 Not allowed!
    Considering the length of time you've had them, yeah I would agree its probably a defense thing.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Hmm. Good to know. I guess i wont ever use that technique on her again. Didnt know i was scaring her half to death. I had thought it was like grabbing a cat by scruff, you know? Calming them down and making them freeze. Oops.
    10gal Tank- Glofish
    75gal- Everything