· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default golden fish "fantail"

0 Not allowed!
    Dear
    i am a beginner ... i started (2 weeks ago) with 2 golden fish in a glass container its size is 2.5 liters
    My question is they look fine in this small container? Then why in all my searches I found that the suitable container size should be at least 10 gallons?
    Please feed me back

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Because they are very large waste producers and they do grow VERY large. It will have a very short life if you leave it in the container. 20 gallons is the smallest I think for goldfish.
    Allergic to all things furry.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    thanks dear :)
    but my fishes are small ; 2.5 cm each
    do i need now to change the container or ?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Your first one Tiari - Strider199   It would take me many months to catch up to how many real bettas you have :) - PhillipOrigami   great job with that post - Jaster   Hope power is restored ASAP! - C-Dub   Because I was wrong, and you were right. Sorry. - bethyMT   

0 Not allowed!
    The idea of goldfish in a bowl living happily is a myth, and a horribly perpetuated one at that. Unfiltered bowls with no aeration are actually not a suitable home for ANY fish, and especially not for goldfish.

I find the best way to get the point across, and explain it is this. Imagine you had to live in a small swimming pool, which was just still water with no filter. The pool dimensions were only one foot out from each outstretched hand, a foot below your feet, and a foot above your head. Now imagine your food rested on top of that water when you ate it, and your waste products, i.e. excrement and urine, remained in that water with you. Even if your keeper came along and changed out half the water every other day, how pleasant would this be? How long would your skin hold up against the ammonia building up over time? How fine would your lungs work from the ammonia burns that would surely happen? What kind of bacterial infections and fungus do you think you would get? How stunted do you think you would be, and muscle withering without enough room to move around?

Not a pleasant thought, is it?

This same scenario happens to fish every day, kept in bowls and containers.

Did you know, that when you see TV programs that have a character who owns a goldfish in a bowl, usually, that goldfish is replaced every week with a new one? That just helps along that misinformation that these fish are healthy and happy in there.

Ten gallons is even too small, its just not enough water dilution to handle the waste output of a goldfish. Even the best filter in the world won't help, as they only filter out detritus, and bio filter ammonia and nitrite, but the nitrates skyrocket in such a small space.

Its a shame, that a fish that could live tens of years, usually die in a year or two because of the misnomer of goldfish bowls and ten gallon tanks, and I've fallen pray to this myself in the past.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Birthday Bud. Cheers! - Strider199   Merry Xmas! Ill drink to that! - Sandz   Happy New Year! - jeffs99dime   Birthday Beer. - gadget228   Sending healing vibes to your Oscar - Silbar   
    Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - Brhino   

0 Not allowed!
    2.5 liters is more like the amount of water the fish should have for their trip home from the store, not how much they should have to live in. Do you even have a filter for them?

guppymummy and Tiari are right. Those fish won't last long at all in there.
    300 gallon mega tank: sailfin pleco, clown loaches, silver dollars, roseline sharks, congo tetras, new world cichlids
    125 gallon office tank: Africian cichlids, synodontis catfih
    75 gallon community tank: bolivian rams, black skirt tetras, dwarf neon rainbowfish, corys, harlequin rasboras, otos, bristlenose and bulldog plecos, assassin snails, various shrimp
    60 gallon goldfish tank: fancy goldfish

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    dear alllllll

thanks all for your comments .. as this is my first trial to do this .... looking fw if you have a full set / manual / guidline for teaching how ....

thanks alllllll :)

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Birthday Bud. Cheers! - Strider199   Merry Xmas! Ill drink to that! - Sandz   Happy New Year! - jeffs99dime   Birthday Beer. - gadget228   Sending healing vibes to your Oscar - Silbar   
    Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - Brhino   

0 Not allowed!
    check out the free aquarium ebook. It has everything you need to get you started on setting up a healthy aquarium.
    300 gallon mega tank: sailfin pleco, clown loaches, silver dollars, roseline sharks, congo tetras, new world cichlids
    125 gallon office tank: Africian cichlids, synodontis catfih
    75 gallon community tank: bolivian rams, black skirt tetras, dwarf neon rainbowfish, corys, harlequin rasboras, otos, bristlenose and bulldog plecos, assassin snails, various shrimp
    60 gallon goldfish tank: fancy goldfish

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Member of the month, a toast is in order. - Strider199   Sorry about your blood parrot :-( - ~firefly~   For this; http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=111325 - Strider199   :-) - ~firefly~   Happy mother's day! Enjoy one on me LOL - imma24   
    Childhood Cancer - hobbs   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - hobbs   Myasthenia Gravis - Ovarian Cancer - Sexual Assault - Substance Abuse - Lady Hobbs   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Lady Hobbs   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Lady Hobbs   

0 Not allowed!
    No 20 gallon will work for them either.

Either give them to someone who has a tank or return them.
    Last edited by Lady Hobbs; 03-07-2012 at 03:52 PM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Member of the month, a toast is in order. - Strider199   Sorry about your blood parrot :-( - ~firefly~   For this; http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=111325 - Strider199   :-) - ~firefly~   Happy mother's day! Enjoy one on me LOL - imma24   
    Childhood Cancer - hobbs   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - hobbs   Myasthenia Gravis - Ovarian Cancer - Sexual Assault - Substance Abuse - Lady Hobbs   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Lady Hobbs   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Lady Hobbs   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by ehab elgamal
    dear alllllll

thanks all for your comments .. as this is my first trial to do this .... looking fw if you have a full set / manual / guidline for teaching how ....

thanks alllllll :)
    The entire internet is your mannual. There are thousands of places to do research.

To keep fish, you need a fish tank and a filter. Unless you have goldfish, you also need a heater. But you do not keep fish in bowls, vases or cups. And you do not buy fish that will grow to one foot in 1/2 gallon of water.

Goldfish are also not just goldfish. They vary from 4" up to 12". What works for the 4" goldfish will not work for the 8-10-12" fish.