· Pond Fish
· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default List of supplies (equipment), I will be getting, is it enough?

0 Not allowed!
    Ok, so here is the list of stuff I plan on getting:

Power Head
    http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Produc...fm?pcatid=4644

Filter
    http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Produc...m?pcatid=14448

Heater
    http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Produc...m?pcatid=19369

Lighting/hood
    http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Produc...m?pcatid=23738

Is that alll I need or is there more, please post your suggestions!

(I already have bubblers)

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas Douglas - Taurus Please enjoy this holiday hog! - Trillianne Have a super christmas! - Aeonflame Congrats on 1 year! - andreahp Congrats on 1 year! - jeffs99dime 
    Happy One-Year! - Rue Happy New Year! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 No Message - 850R Now THAT was a nice quiet beer... But now that we have had another... Let's go break stuff!! :-P - 850R 
    Thanks for the rep/compliments! - mojosodope Thanks for the rep the other day, cheers - Cliff ...they go with snow, right? - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas - mommy1 Merry Christmas - KingFisher Happy New Year - mommy1 Thanks! - pRED 

0 Not allowed!
    The size of your tank will have an effect on whether your filter is big enough, remember always get a filter which is 2x your tank volume. Also the lighting that suits the tank best will depend on your planting arrangements as some require larger amounts of light.
    My therapist says I need a bigger tank . . . . .

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    It is a 30 gallon tank :) I am just wondering if I missed any needed equipment that I am not aware of Say that I forgot a heater, you would be "you need a heater" I would appreciate you telling me if I missed anything!

0 Not allowed!
    Any answer that I would give you would be based on how I like to set-up a reef tank. There are many different ways to set-up and keep a great reef tank. Each method is a little different and better suited for some types of coral and your experience level.

The types of corals that you want would also influence any recommendations that I would make. For example, if you just want softies or SPS could require a different approach to your set-up

Regardless of what you want to keep, I have heard a lot of negative things about the lighting you have listed for a reef tank. I would personally look into a better quality LED fixture or T5HO

I would also recommend a skimmer. The type of skimmer would depend on if you want a sump or not. You did not list any live rock either. That would be a important part of a reef tank

Have you found the below thread yet ? I will help you figure out what you might need for equipment

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=76398
    Last edited by Cliff; 03-06-2012 at 04:46 PM.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

Awards Showcase

Why thank-you - Cliff The grammar crab has you in its grasp! D: - Trillianne Thanks for the clarification - Mith A few clown for the fellow SW clowns. :D - ILuvMyGoldBarb sorry about your angelfish - smaug 
    Many cultures donw through the ages have known that Ice cream is the perfect band-aid for all occasions. ~  Sorry for your loss. - 850R Here's some Christmass Cheer, Happy Holidays Sheamurai - Cliff merry xmas, keep good care of him - genocidex Beer! The perfect gift for any occasion - Merry Chrismas! - 850R I'm glad your here and a active forum member - Cliff 
    penguin for a friend XD - genocidex Thanks for the help with that spammer !!! - Cliff Thank you for the kind words - Cliff Merry Christmas - Cliff To help you re-stock the tank - Cliff 
    Discus and Beer! - Sandz To Discus Days!!! - JudiJetson For very clear advice! - houdini56 Happy Holidays! - Rue Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 

0 Not allowed!
    +1 to Cliffs post. What kind of saltwater tank you are going to keep also influences what you need to get. You posted under reef so we have to assume you are getting corals; if you are getting corals, then you will need rock for them to grow on. Live rock acts as your filter, so a filter is not really necessary.

Bubblers are not usually used in reef tanks. Saltwater makes a messy splashback, the salt will be crusting everything where the surface is bubbling. I don't recommend it.

How much equipment you get depends on how much of a gizmo addict you are and what kind of tank you are going to keep. You could and should get a bunch more stuff - skimmer, timer, more powerheads, thermometer, saltwater test kits, a decent hydrometer, good salt mix...and then there's handy things like an automatic top off and reactors/dosers that make life much easier...you'll need to consider where you're getting your water from, as you'll want at least RO water unless your own water is pristine...

I would read the link that Cliff posted, and all the stickies under the Saltwater forum, and look at a few tank journals. Then you'll have an idea of what kind if marine tank you want, and THAT will lead you to what equipment you should have.
    20gal long planted community

0 Not allowed!
    Not sure if you meant to post this somewhere in the FW section or not

Regardless if you meant to post here in SW you have some HW to do and some more info to give us in order for us to have a better understanding. The thread Cliff linked you should definitely read as well as everything else you can get your hands on.

A couple words of caution if you do plan on starting to get into SW

1st it's EXPENSIVE!! It's do-able on a budget but you have to know where you can save a buck and where you should just spend the cash.

2nd You need to do your hw to prepare for the experience. The more you read the better you'll be, we're hear to answer questions and don't be afraid to ask but you should know the basics (ie. live rock, how to cycle, basic flow of a typical reef tank dt to the sump, and some functions of flow and lighting)

3rd SW is a blast!!! We all love our tanks but you have to follow the other two pointers or you'll be at risk to have a tank crash and that's a miserable experience that I wouldn't wish on anybody

Do your homework and find out if it's something you have the budget to pursue and the passion to pursue.

Best of luck!!
    55g Long --> After 18mo of doing well the tank crashed during moving. Most likely cause: Flatworm Die-off... won't start another until after moving... Likely not until late 2013

20g Long --> currently concoting a build plan

Check out the journal to follow my 20g SW tank

"Take a chance, because you never know how perfect some things can turn out" -- unknown

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    If funds are limited in any way at all then do not even consider a reef. A fowler can be done on a shoestring but not a reef.

0 Not allowed!
    What you are looking at spending in order to have a 30 gallon reef, you could probably have a 75-100 gallon freshwater.

0 Not allowed!
    ^^^ might be the better way to go if you're tight on funds... however if you're not follow the advice given in the earlier posts
    55g Long --> After 18mo of doing well the tank crashed during moving. Most likely cause: Flatworm Die-off... won't start another until after moving... Likely not until late 2013

20g Long --> currently concoting a build plan

Check out the journal to follow my 20g SW tank

"Take a chance, because you never know how perfect some things can turn out" -- unknown

Smile

0 Not allowed!
    I agree with all the folks who posted before I did. Yes, SW is an expensive start, but if you patient, it can be done for very little money compared to starting with live rock. Also, 30G is not a very large tank to start with. You can start this with just quarried rock, power heads, pure ammonia and Nitrafying bacteria. It will take a month or so to cycle with no fish, but the cost is minimal and it is a great way to learn and get into the habit of water testing. I recently did so with no live rock for my 24G cube with fantastic results.

reefup3.jpg

This tank has been running roughly 4 months or so. All is growing nicely and spreading on it's own. it is a stable enviroment and my inhabitants seem very content and stress free...

The most important thing is: Read the sticky's!!! It's how I started back into this after a long time away from this hobby and ask questions! Plenty of good folks here will answer your questions correctly if given all pertanent information like Light output, water parameters, introduction of new things to the enviroment etc.

Good luck!!
    Life is tough, it's even tougher if your stupid.

If your not angry, your not paying attention...

150G FWLR (Morays) 75G Fresh (Assrtd) 24G Cube (Reef/Goby) 10G Fresh (Beta)