· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Hybrid View

1. Default Which Nano Reef aquarium setup? (biocube, Red Sea MAX, Nano Cube, etc.)

0 Not allowed!
    Hello,
    First of all I am a new comer to saltwater aquariums, although I have kept freshwater for around 3 years now. I want to start a little smaller and less expensive so I am going to be purchasing a nano reef. I am stuck between these options:

Red Sea MAX 34 Gallon
    (Seems a little expensive IMO)

Oceanic 29g BioCube HQI Aquarium System
    Nano Aquarium Systems & Aquarium Kit: Oceanic 29 gallon BioCube HQI Aquarium System

(looks nice, but the filter doesn't seem to be as powerful as the nano cubes)

Nano Cube, CF-QUAD (what is the difference between this one and the regular nano cubes?)
    ]Nano Cube Reef Aquarium Kits: JBJ Lighting Nano Cube 28-gallon CF-QUAD\

28 Gallon Nano Cube LED Intermediate Series

Nano Aquarium Systems & Aquarium Kit: JBJ 28 Gallon Nano Cube LED Intermediate Series Aquarium(looks nice)

In your opinion which is best, what are your reasons? In other words which one do you suggest for a beginner saltwater aquarist?

Please state your reasons! Thank you :)

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I suggest none of the above. Plug and plays seem atractive for sure but down the roadwhen there usually sub par systems start too fail you are stuck with having to use the same sub par parts for replacement. I suggest research into buying the equipment piece by piece and get what you want the first time around.

Awards Showcase

Wishing You the Very Best for the New Year!!! - Jill Happy New year - Celtic Fins Happy new year! - Brookfish happy new year! - The Red Severum All Sailors love coffee - jbeining75 
    Sailor - Brookfish cheers bud! - Crispy Happy Birthday bud! - Brookfish thanks for the rep! - Lab_Rat congrats on motm - Lab_Rat 
    Thanks for the rep - Cliff Thanks for the nomination - Cliff Merry X-mass, and thanks for all of your help this past year, both here and at the store - Cliff No Message - cer Thanks for the rep - Cliff 
    thanks for the betta :D - Cyberra Happy Birthday - KingFisher thanks for the rep:) Zebra pleco for you! - Northerly Merry Christmas - Cliff Just a Thanks! - Plecos 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - sailor Autism - sailor 

0 Not allowed!
    I have heard many good things about the Red Sea Max set ups,
    I had an Oceanic Biocube and it was crap. The ballasts for the lighting systems went kapoot in less than 6 months. What was even worse was that the customer support from them was non existent.
    Sailor

Aye Aye

Smile

0 Not allowed!
    I have a Bido 24 Cube and am having fantastic results and I am very happy with it. All the parts easily replacable, 3 large compartments in back of the tank. I got mine with stand for $199.00...With weekly water changes, I do not believe you need a protien skimmer for a unit as small as 24 gallons... Mine is thiving with a Manderin Goby and cleaner shrimp...

reefup2.jpg

Terrible picture but gives you the idea. I got mine from Big Al's...
    Last edited by Surfdog; 03-09-2012 at 11:06 PM.
    Life is tough, it's even tougher if your stupid.
    If your not angry, your not paying attention...
    150G Cube FWLR (Morays) 75G Fresh (Bichers/Gourami) 24G Cube (Reef/Goby/Seahorse's/Garden Eels)
    10G Fresh (Beta)
    2 x 29G Breeders (cycling) to be ready for January 15