· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Default tetra compatibility

0 Not allowed!
    i have a 10 gallon currently stocked with 6 cardinal tetras and 2 blue rams. But i was considering moving the rams out of my 10 and into my 65 once some space is cleared up in my 65. would a betta fit into the 10g with 6 tetras? the betta appears fairly well mannered but he has never been with other fish so there is no way of knowing.
    Coastie-to-be... hopefully.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Northerly
    i have a 10 gallon currently stocked with 6 cardinal tetras and 2 blue rams. But i was considering moving the rams out of my 10 and into my 65 once some space is cleared up in my 65. would a betta fit into the 10g with 6 tetras? the betta appears fairly well mannered but he has never been with other fish so there is no way of knowing.
    Yes, a betta plus the 6 tetras would be ideal stocking for the 10g... much more suitable than the tetras plus two rams, IMO. :)
    "The Dumpster Tank" 26g flat back hex - Betta albimarginata, corydoras, checker barbs, pork chop rasbora

"Nano Fish Tank" 20g long - Celestial Pearl Danios, microrasboras, Corydoras habrosus

"Mbuna Tank" 75g - Ps. saulosi, I. sprengerae, M. pulpican, M. joanjohnsonae

"Time Out Tank" 29g - dominant male Cynotilapia sp. "hara"

Awards Showcase

hopefully this one shows up. - KingFisher It's the closest thing I could find to a snowflake. - Taurus Happy Birthday Girl. Wishing you many more. Ya thats why the Champagne is in play. hehehe - Strider199 For piping up - ~firefly~ Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas - gadget228 Thank you and Happy Holidays! - KingFisher Merry x-mas and a Happy New Year Trillianne - Strider199 Happy New Year!!! - Rue 
    Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 Thanks for the Rep! - steeler1 Thanks, and one for you too. - mommy1 lol - 5 steps to gift giving.  We should eat more bananas... potassium and all that. - KevinVA 
    Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 No Message - Fishhook A Birthday Bunny. - gadget228 Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass 

0 Not allowed!
    It really depends on the betta. Some do well in community settings and some do not.

0 Not allowed!
    yes that's exactly what i was thinking. i never realised how overcrowded my rams were:( i feel bad for leaving them in there for so long. by the way nickelodeon, your 75g mbuna tank is amazing:)

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Northerly
    by the way nickelodeon, your 75g mbuna tank is amazing:)
    Thank you!

Is your betta a regular veil tail? I've had pretty good luck with VTs in community settings. For some reason, crowntails tend to be more aggressive and I haven't had good luck with those in community tanks... though there are certainly exceptions to every rule.

Things to watch for include excess chasing by the betta (I did have a VT once that picked off every single one of my neon tetras, but I had them in a WAY too small tank... I think it was 3g - this was before I learned about proper fishkeeping methods), nipping by the tetras, and feeding issues. Bettas are PIGS and will steal food if at all possible. They literally will eat themselves to death. Hopefully, the tetras are confident enough to quickly eat their flakes while you distract the betta on the other end of the tank with betta pellets (or the occasional bloodworm).
    "The Dumpster Tank" 26g flat back hex - Betta albimarginata, corydoras, checker barbs, pork chop rasbora

"Nano Fish Tank" 20g long - Celestial Pearl Danios, microrasboras, Corydoras habrosus

"Mbuna Tank" 75g - Ps. saulosi, I. sprengerae, M. pulpican, M. joanjohnsonae

"Time Out Tank" 29g - dominant male Cynotilapia sp. "hara"

0 Not allowed!
    you're welcome, and yes im pretty sure it is a veil tail. its my moms betta though and she's not too fond of the idea of me stealing it for one of my tanks haha. but im sure she'll be ok with it if i bug her about it enough:p its just such a beautiful fish, its a very vibrant red color all around and it has alot of personality.

EDIT: they are neon tetras not cardinal tetras. my apologies. they look so similiar to me.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    So far I have a male betta with 8 neons and 6 black neons with no trouble whatsoever. I think he is young though so well have to see. You never know if you dont try
    Define busy ~
    29 gal freashwater
    10 gal empty ~ someday Betta
    4 cats, 1 dog and 2 kids. (2yr-4yrs) Potty Training and one on the way

0 Not allowed!
    Not all Betta's are friendly to other small fish and there's not much room to escape in that 10 gallon for the cardinals. Personally, I would not do it. I'd just use the 10 for a cardinal tank and omit the Betta. Small fish hide from larger fish and the cardinals will probably hug the bottom of the tank and try to hide from that Betta all the time. Just my 2 cents.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I found that rummynose tetras would nip my betta's fins.