· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

You need a pet for your AC tank... How about we start with a Holiday Ham?! :) - Trillianne   You're promoted to Dr. MuckyFish! - Rue   Have a Christmas penguin! - AmyLynn   merry christmas,  sorry for all the banning.... its too fun XD - genocidex   Sweets for all my Sweets this Holiday! :) - Trillianne   

Default Snail ID Question

0 Not allowed!
    I was away for a week and a half while I was away my daughter noticed a snail in the tank, which I did not put there. Its been a long while since I have added any plants (snail free ones by the way). My suspicion is it came in with the algae pellets as I have more recently started those with the introduction of otocinclus.

Several pictures of the snail can be found here.

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/phot...eat=directlink

Picassa Album Here

What kind of snail is it?
    How long does it take to this big?
    It seems to eat algae.
    Is keeping it likely to give me any problems?

Thanks for your help
    Mucky

Unusually I have nothing more to add...

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Wecome to the forum - Lady Hobbs   ...Use it wisely. - Drumachine09   Superman of tanks big and bigger - Lady Hobbs   Cheers! - alizee340   for knowing stuff - Nick_Pavlovski   
    World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - Dave66   

0 Not allowed!
    Just a pond snail, Physa species. That's about as large as they get. As long as you don't overfeed your fishes, you'll have just a few, and they'll do a masterful job in keeping algae from getting a toehold in your tank. Think of it as a free janitor.

Me, I don't mind snails, since they save me from cleaning the inside of the glass.

Dave
    When a finger points to the moon, the imbecile looks at the finger.

Omnia mutantur nihil interit.

The more you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you'll go

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

A neon for your tank! There were no platys. lol - Northernguy   Thanks for the help with those zombies - Northernguy   Right on. - Wild Turkey   Congrats on your award! - Brookfish   you need more gifts! - The Red Severum   

0 Not allowed!
    At one point in time it was thought that certain animals and bacteria would appear in certain places if the conditions were met. An example commonly used was maggots. When something was rotting, there would be maggots. It wasn't a question, it was a fact of life. People assumed they would spontaneously generate and boy were they wrong. The idea that bacteria spontaneously generated was even harder to disprove, but somebody eventually invented a whole new kind of flask just for that purpose. I suppose people were depressed for a bit after another bit of magic was taken away from the world, but they eventually got used to it and in a few generations people began to wonder why we would ever believe something like spontaneous generation.

And then people started owning aquariums. There some people who still insisted snails had to come from other snails but eventually they got snails to. It wasn't a question of if, it was a question of when. Science was once again baffled. There was a search for the snail source. Perhaps it was airborne. Maybe snail was inerrant in water? Nothing was found, but they did add a small note in textbooks. Where there is water, there is snails. It was equal to thermodynamics in renown.

In all honesty, [strikeout]Those might be Malaysian Trumpet Snails, but it doesn't really matter. When somebody says they have MTS they aren't referring to these, but you can be damn sure they have them, because they are ubiquitous.[/strikeout] Those are just pond snails. Almost everybody gets them and it is very hard not to have them. Everybody deals with them differently as well, I'd recommend you take a look at this to start off with. It shouldn't completely overpopulate your tank unless there is a currently existing imbalance that will allow that to happen.

I have them all over my tank and some weeks there are many of them some weeks there are less, but I guarantee you that if there are not already at least 50 in your tank there will be by Tuesday. Look around, most of them will be very tiny.

And yeah, I'm not sure how long it takes them to get that big, but I usually only ever see 1 or 2 that big at one time, so I assume most of them don't make it.

I think they do eat algae, when I had a an algae boom, I had a snail boom right after, then they balanced out. I personally think they are a cool part of the aquatic ecosystem and I don't think anything bad would result from you keeping them.

EDIT: Once again I am bested by Dave.
    DOUBLE EDIT: Also yeah they are just pond snails I'm not sure why I said MTS
    Last edited by Kaz; 03-04-2012 at 04:34 AM.
    SIX OR MORE MAN TO THE RESCUE!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

You need a pet for your AC tank... How about we start with a Holiday Ham?! :) - Trillianne   You're promoted to Dr. MuckyFish! - Rue   Have a Christmas penguin! - AmyLynn   merry christmas,  sorry for all the banning.... its too fun XD - genocidex   Sweets for all my Sweets this Holiday! :) - Trillianne   

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks Kaz & Dave for your very entertaining post. Looking at links from another spontaneous snail thread, it seems they look exactly like the pond / bladder snail.

So for now it can stay and it has done a very good job of cleaning a few of the algaes the Otos haven't touched.
    Mucky

Unusually I have nothing more to add...

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the rep - Cliff   Thanks for the rep. - Strider199   yes you win a bunny one bad thing tho, you might get many more :P - genocidex   thx for the rep - Kayfish   For your fish 911, - Cliff   
    World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - bignellm   

0 Not allowed!
    Pest Snail Control/Combat/Removal Link in my signature line.