· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

0 Not allowed!
    I'm not familiar with the Whisper power filters or the media they take, but when you say that you change the cartridges every 2-3 weeks, does that mean that there is all brand new media in the filter every time you change them out? If so, you could be recycling your tank each time you change these. Generally, filter media should be rinsed in old tank water and replaced to maintain the beneficial bacteria. Could probably use a larger filter on that tank also, sized for the twice the volume.

Awards Showcase

Thanks for the rep!! - steeler58 For working with new fish keepers! Outstanding this month. - Taurus Just Because - Surfdog A round for the fallen this Memorial Day weekend. - Compass I had no cup, so I put it on a bun... - Slaphppy7 
    You are amazing! So smart and giving. - SeaLady Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz 
    for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass cheers - Fishhook Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook 
    beeeeeeeer! - Sandz Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 We miss you... - Compass thank you for the filter! - RiversGirl for the fun game! - SeaLady 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by sheamurai
    I'm no Oscar or fish physiology expert, but fish react physcially (weirdly) sometimes to poor water quality. You must remember part of their metabolism relies on what they absorb thru their skin and gills, and they have to maintain an internal balance to be able to swim properly. Aside from physical effects on their ability to swim, the fish could just be trying to get the heck out of Dodge...its not like they can reason the best way out of a tank...out in the wild, it would just swim away til it found a better place. Not being able to do that and not understand why, I think yes, it could be why its just thrashing around, trying to bull its way out.
    This is exactly right. At lower level nitrates are not as toxic as ammonia or nitrites but when they get over 40ppm they are just as bad for the fish as the other two. Nitrates over 50ppm start to burn and they need to be lowered, at 80ppm they can be deadly. Your fish is trying to get to healthier water and you need to do more water changes. He does need a bigger tank with better filtration. Oscars are messy fish and in a smaller tank with inadequate filtration he will just continue to foul the water and this problem will continue.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

3. Post

0 Not allowed!
    What water source are you using for your water changes (ie. tap, gallon purified, spring, etc.)? Do a base test of that water BEFORE you do your next change. Also, when you clean the tank, do u fully vac the gravel? Do daily water tests to ensure that your actions are having a positive effect on your tank. In response to your pH question, yes it may have an effect on the pH, but with pH that low, it would increase your pH(pH difference dilution). Understand that if you are taking your pH readings from the tap without allowing them to sit for 24 hrs, the pH will read low due to low oxygenation. One way around this is to vigorously oxygenate your water before you put it in the tank (I don't really recommend it b/c of temp changes), and the pH will rise to its natural value. Please be careful with where your oscar is when you pour the water into the tank as well. The temp difference can cause them to stress. I will keep looking into this for you, but this is what i could think of off hand. I hope the best for you and your "little" buddy!

0 Not allowed!
    The OP has not returned since his original post. Since his tank was not cycled, this filter too small I will guess his Oscar is no longer around.

Closing this thread.