· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Oscar won't eat!

0 Not allowed!
    My fiancee and I went into a pet-smart to look at items for our dogs, when we noticed a young man with a rather large oscar fish in baggies. Apparently, he had attempted to return the fish after some time, but they would not accept the return. He offered to give us the fish, as he just wanted it to have a good home. He didn't tell us what/how he was feeding it. The oscar size is about 6.5in long by 3.25in tall. He is currently stationed in a twenty high tank with an internal whisper bio-filter rated for 20-30 gal tanks until we can procure a 45 gallon set up from her uncle. The chemical content of the water has low NO3 and NO2, between soft and hard, chlorine was safe, the alkalinity was ideal, and the Ph was around a 7.8. We put some Ph corrector in the tank. I know he's a little too big to be in the tank, but it is the largest tank we have. Inside the tank with him were originally two Jelly bean parrot fish and their fry. When we put the oscar into the tank, they got scared and would hide continuously. After about an hour of this, my fiancee took the parrot fish and about half of the fry to another tank of ours. The issue is that he won't eat. We purchased large cichlid pellets to feed him, but he won't even go near them. We tried crickets, and the most he did was look to see what they were. It's been on day 3 now, and he won't look at any food we have. I know that oscars eat feeders, but i also know that eating them is not healthy because it can cause hole in the head. Any thoughts?

0 Not allowed!
    How many oscars?
    Actually it doesn't matter. 1 (I think) needs 100 gallons.
    I also think that "jelly bean" parrots are dyed.
    I don't know much about oscars, but in general fish will nom on live food. If you can, get mysis shrimp, bloodworms, or brine shrimp.
    Its Phillip, not Origami.
    Join the 10+ club

Clicky!
    http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=184368
    ^Read

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I would try some live or frozen bloodworms, mysis shrimp, etc. And like the other poster said, a 100 gallon is definitely what you'd want for an Oscar. He will most likely outgrow a 45. I know you separated the parrot and the Oscar, but I just wanted to throw out there that I wouldn't keep them together to begin with. Good luck with your new fish! Oscars are really awesome.
    3 Gallon Planted Betta Tank
    4 gallon planted Aqueon Evolve Dwarf Puffer Tank

0 Not allowed!
    The rescue of this Oscar is admirable but it has given your problems you may not wish to have. One Oscar should be in at least 75 gallons. Now you are left with either trying to find him a home yourself or investing several hundred into buying another tank for this free fish. This may be a journey you wish you would not have taken.

Your current tank is too small for one jellybean much less a pair and all their fry and the filter is also not adaquate.

It never works to try to get something on impulse and certainly not if you have not got the housing for them. Altho you attempt to rescued this fish, it truly was not a rescue at all without the proper tank. You need to find him a home now.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by PhillipOrigami
    I also think that "jelly bean" parrots are dyed.
    A bit of confusion here. A dyed blood parrot is often mistakenly called a Jellybean or Bubblegum.

A jellybean or bubblegum is actually a cross between a blood parrot and a convict cichlid. It's the crossing of these two that gives it their names Jellybean or Bubblegum, not the dying process.

Jellybeans have a smaller head hump than true blood parrots, not as much curve to their body and smaller in size.

Calling every dyed parrot a jellybean or a bubblegum is inaccurate information. Who wants to buy something called "dyed" when they can give them some cute, catchy name no matter if it's an inaccurate name for them.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    +1 to Lady Hobbs

A 45g tank is nowhere near large enough for an oscar. General rule of thumb is minimum 75g for a single oscar; however, I wouldn't recommend anything under a 6ft tank.

Your fish is probably not eating because it's stressed out. Oscars are notorious for getting moody and can be rather stubborn at times. I would just keep at it and see what happens.

As for your rescue efforts, as stated above, their almost in vein. The previous owner had to get rid of the fish for a reason, and now in a 45g you will just be continuing what the prior owner was trying to prevent. Oscar fish grow real large real fast. You will have a 10in oscar on your hands in no time and he will not fit into a 45g tank. My recommendation - buy a huge tank and enjoy!!!

Best of luck!
    220g South American
    90g Reef
    20g Reef
    20g Reef

7. Cool Many thanks

0 Not allowed!
    Thank you all for the advice and support. My fiancee and I just recently purchased a 75 gallon tank and all of the supportive equipment for it with our tax returns. We are currently letting it sit for a week to stabilize before we put Sulfuron in it. We found out that "Sulfuron", our oscar, had been given to us because his previous owner had tried to add a lot of fish to his 55 gallon tank that had housed the oscar, and that the oscar had eaten the fish. After about 4 days of us putting in a pellet to see if he'd even bite it, he decided he wanted to suck one down to appease us. He has developed a slighted appetite, eating 2-3 pellets a day before he just stares them down. Hopefully, once he is put into his new home, he'll become less stressed and eat more. For the time being though, he is happy to see us each morning and greets us at the wall of his tank when we "wake" him, and is becoming accustomed to our hands entering the water when we pick out the pellets he doesn't want.

0 Not allowed!
    I would suggest completing a fish-less cycle before add your fish to your tank

The is a link to our fishless cycling process below in my sig
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

Awards Showcase

Friends don't let friends drink alone, and I'm there for you man - Cliff After all that virtual alcohol it's time to sober up with some virtual food - mommy1 I can't drink alone mate - ScottishFish I won't thank you because it's a thankless job 7 also I cannot find any CUC type gifts but thanks [ - 850R Cheers bud - Cliff 
    Time for a Pint? I cannae drink alone - ScottishFish Implied message here. - mommy1 Congrats MOTM !!! - Cliff Cheers! - escamosa I dunno why I'm giving you a skunkloach as your prize,. They just sound cool! :) - escamosa 
    Merry Christmas - KingFisher Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas!! - ScottishFish Happy X-mas! :-) - MCHRKiller Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 
    A cup of coffee to get you going on that build. - Strider199 Merry xmas! - ScottishFish Merry Christmas - mommy1 Happy New Year - mommy1 Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 

0 Not allowed!
    good to hear you upgraded for him. are you familiar with cycling a new tank? unless you're using existing biomedia, it will take awhile to establish a bacteria colony for such a large messy fish. Lady Hobbs has links in her signature above that will tell you everything you need to know about proper cycling.

think about adding another filter as the oscar grows. be sure not to overfeed and get a quality pellet that makes minimal mess (as oscars tend to chew their food).

best of luck with your new fish. oscars are great wet pets when kept healthy and happy.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Oscarloach
    Thank you all for the advice and support. My fiancee and I just recently purchased a 75 gallon tank and all of the supportive equipment for it with our tax returns. We are currently letting it sit for a week to stabilize before we put Sulfuron in it.
    +1 with the cycling advice - letting a tank sit for a week will not prepare it (or "stabilize" it) for a fish. Adding dechlorinator makes the water safe immediately but cycling involves adding ammonia to the water to grow bacteria in the filter which will then process the fish's own ammonia.

Putting an Oscar into an unfiltered tank is looking for problems.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, green corys, 1 guppy, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT with green corys & 2 guppies