· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas Douglas - Taurus Please enjoy this holiday hog! - Trillianne Have a super christmas! - Aeonflame Congrats on 1 year! - andreahp Congrats on 1 year! - jeffs99dime 
    Happy One-Year! - Rue Happy New Year! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 No Message - 850R Now THAT was a nice quiet beer... But now that we have had another... Let's go break stuff!! :-P - 850R 
    Thanks for the rep/compliments! - mojosodope Thanks for the rep the other day, cheers - Cliff ...they go with snow, right? - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas - mommy1 Merry Christmas - KingFisher Happy New Year - mommy1 Thanks! - pRED 

Default A proper school!

0 Not allowed!
    Just thought I'd post this to tell you all about my tetras!!

I keep red eyed tetras and first had a 'school' of 6 . . . That's not a school, the tetras were a bit nippy and I rehomed my angels to a friend as they were getting badly beat up, I bumped the number upto 9 and I already noticed a difference. After my bigger 48g had cycled I fired the 9 into it and added 4 more for them to play with. Now with 13 tetras I better appreciate what a school of fish is ment to look like. I'm thinking of even getting a few more. I know a lot of us post saying that since they are schooling they need at least 6, after noticing the huge behavioural change and just by how fun to watch they are now I reckon a 'school' of fish should be no less than ten. In the wild these guys must live in groups numbering the thousands so 6 isn't always fair for some species.

Just a post of my success with red eyed tetras :D ! ! !
    My therapist says I need a bigger tank . . . . .

0 Not allowed!
    I agree, the school size all depends on the species. My Harlequin rasbora have a school of 5 and do just fine., while my black widow tetras only have 4 and I think I need to get a couple more, they are kind of nippy. I think it just depends on the fish.
    American League Champions! TIGERS!

Awards Showcase

Why thank-you - Cliff The grammar crab has you in its grasp! D: - Trillianne Thanks for the clarification - Mith A few clown for the fellow SW clowns. :D - ILuvMyGoldBarb sorry about your angelfish - smaug 
    Many cultures donw through the ages have known that Ice cream is the perfect band-aid for all occasions. ~  Sorry for your loss. - 850R Here's some Christmass Cheer, Happy Holidays Sheamurai - Cliff merry xmas, keep good care of him - genocidex Beer! The perfect gift for any occasion - Merry Chrismas! - 850R I'm glad your here and a active forum member - Cliff 
    penguin for a friend XD - genocidex Thanks for the help with that spammer !!! - Cliff Thank you for the kind words - Cliff Merry Christmas - Cliff To help you re-stock the tank - Cliff 
    Discus and Beer! - Sandz To Discus Days!!! - JudiJetson For very clear advice! - houdini56 Happy Holidays! - Rue Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 

0 Not allowed!
    Glad you are happier with your fish!

Yes, schooling species in the wild definitely have bigger schools than what we usually allow them. A lot of fish "are fine" in the piddling schools we manage for them, but I believe any schooling fish benefits, and displays more natural behavior, the bigger the school you can manage.

Plus, big schools just look way cool! My next redo of tanks will just be large schools of fish...no "centrepeice" or single species fish unless for fry control.
    20gal long planted community

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by sheamurai
    Glad you are happier with your fish!

Yes, schooling species in the wild definitely have bigger schools than what we usually allow them. A lot of fish "are fine" in the piddling schools we manage for them, but I believe any schooling fish benefits, and displays more natural behavior, the bigger the school you can manage.

Plus, big schools just look way cool! My next redo of tanks will just be large schools of fish...no "centrepeice" or single species fish unless for fry control.
    +1 the bigger the better when it comes to schools.

Liters to Gallons conversion calculator

"Keeping fish for any period of time doesn't make you experienced if you're doing it wrong. What does, is acknowledging those mistakes and learning from them." ~Aeonflame
    "
    your argument is invalid." ~Mommy1

0 Not allowed!
    I have said the same thing here in 100 posts. In the wild, fish swim in schools of hundreds and hundreds. We toss them in the tank and think they are happy with 6. They don't even act like their species in tiny schools but in large groups they do. They are more calm, less stressed and form their family.

You see all the time that someone has a tank and has 15 species in the tank instead of just two or three large schools of fish. Or 10 species of 6 each.
    I don't know how 6 has even been considered as a school.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by MLBfan
    I agree, the school size all depends on the species. My Harlequin rasbora have a school of 5 and do just fine., while my black widow tetras only have 4 and I think I need to get a couple more, they are kind of nippy. I think it just depends on the fish.
    All schooling fish are the same. They should all be in bigger schools than 4 or 5. If you only have room for one large school, then only stock the one species but make the school large enough.

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas Douglas - Taurus Please enjoy this holiday hog! - Trillianne Have a super christmas! - Aeonflame Congrats on 1 year! - andreahp Congrats on 1 year! - jeffs99dime 
    Happy One-Year! - Rue Happy New Year! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 No Message - 850R Now THAT was a nice quiet beer... But now that we have had another... Let's go break stuff!! :-P - 850R 
    Thanks for the rep/compliments! - mojosodope Thanks for the rep the other day, cheers - Cliff ...they go with snow, right? - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas - mommy1 Merry Christmas - KingFisher Happy New Year - mommy1 Thanks! - pRED 

0 Not allowed!
    Glad you all agree, it is funny how somewhere along the line somebody decided 6 was a good number.

Reason for posting was that the red eyes were getting a bad name I thought, not just here but on other info websites aswell. They are very hardy fish and their scales ar a lot larger than average so it looks like armour, really nice fish when in tip top condition. Just felt that I could help them out a bit sharing my experience.

It is a shame that people give fish a bad rep when really its our fault! Our aquariums are trying to mimick the fishes natural environment and therefore keeping them in unsuitable conditions is bound to have an effect. Larger schools equal happier tanks :)

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Forgot to add: MLB I'm sure your harleguins will be very healthy and look good, but I would bet on it that if you doubled the number of them you would find that they are definatley happier and acting more naturally :)

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Hobbs
    In the wild, fish swim in schools of hundreds and hundreds. We toss them in the tank and think they are happy with 6. They don't even act like their species in tiny schools but in large groups they do. They are more calm, less stressed and form their family.
    Agreed. The sad thing is, most LFS considers THREE fish a "school."
    "The Dumpster Tank" 26g flat back hex - Betta albimarginata, corydoras, checker barbs, pork chop rasbora

"Nano Fish Tank" 20g long - Celestial Pearl Danios, microrasboras, Corydoras habrosus

"Mbuna Tank" 75g - Ps. saulosi, I. sprengerae, M. pulpican, M. joanjohnsonae

"Time Out Tank" 29g - dominant male Cynotilapia sp. "hara"

Exclamation Schools = Go big or go home :-D

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by nikelodeon79
    Agreed. The sad thing is, most LFS considers THREE fish a "school."
    That's just sad, Three is more like a group size for skipping school.
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.