· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    No need to buy new media. Ditch the carbon, and just rinse your foam filter in tank water (not tap or you will kill beneficial bacteria). Bio filter you shouldn't really have to touch at all. Filter companies will be glad to take your money when you buy new filters, but they are not necessary and will do more harm than good now that your tank is cycled.

BTW, congrats on getting your tank cycled and keeping all the original fish alive!

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by pjoo1120
    No need to buy new media. Ditch the carbon, and just rinse your foam filter in tank water (not tap or you will kill beneficial bacteria). Bio filter you shouldn't really have to touch at all. Filter companies will be glad to take your money when you buy new filters, but they are not necessary and will do more harm than good now that your tank is cycled.

BTW, congrats on getting your tank cycled and keeping all the original fish alive!
    Thanks, I appreciate it!

That is exactly the answer I was hoping for. I couldn't understand why replacing the bio filter would be a good thing, if you just took 2+ months building it. lol

By rinsing the foam filter, I assume you mean taking some water from a water change and rinsing it in a bath tub or something? Probably a dumb question, but I'd rather be clear.

How often do you recommend actually cleaning the filter out? And I assume this should also be done with tank water, as well?

Awards Showcase

Happy Christmas - MuckyFish thanks for advising on vegetables for my kribs! so here is a discus - ScottishFish You help a lot - PhillipOrigami For the bank account, and thx for the rep - Cliff beautiful discus! - Crispy 
    I know this doesn't help but it's all I can do! - chrisfraser05 for all the wise advice you've given me - fishmommie Congrats on 2000th post! - andreahp Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    Thanks for the rep :-) - ~firefly~ appreciate it. - fishmommie Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶ - korith For all the good advice you give. - ~firefly~ 
    Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff thanks for the rep points.  appreciate it - fishmommie happy friday! - mojosodope Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep! - steeler1 

0 Not allowed!
    First-NEVER replace the filter media or you will lose your hard earned cycle! Its the bacteria in the filter media that you took so much effort to grow; so please, don't ever throw it out.

If the media needs to be cleaned, just rinse in used (in a bucket) tank water. Then replace back into the filter. As the stuff were's out, add more. Never, never, replace!

Next - why do a fishless cycle? Just hook the new filter to your existing tank and let it run four or five weeks. Instant filter cycle in a can ... I mean tank. Do remember that removing the extra filter will cause a mini-cycle in the exstablished tank - just remember you will need to measure the tank water and do a water change to get any (if any) ammonia/nitrite mini-spike.

Likewise, the new filter will need fish to provide waste for it to continue to grow - add about half (assuming the two filters had identical flow rates - use a ratio if not. For the number of fish to add if the flow rate is twice as much, then add 2/3's as many fish; if only 1/4 - add 1/4 as many fish) as many fish as in the exstablished tank (There will be enough bacteria to handle it.)

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinVA
    Thanks, I appreciate it!

That is exactly the answer I was hoping for. I couldn't understand why replacing the bio filter would be a good thing, if you just took 2+ months building it. lol

By rinsing the foam filter, I assume you mean taking some water from a water change and rinsing it in a bath tub or something? Probably a dumb question, but I'd rather be clear.

How often do you recommend actually cleaning the filter out? And I assume this should also be done with tank water, as well?
    Yeah I just take some of the water change water in a bucket and rinse the foam filter.

As for the second part or your question, are you asking about the actual filter housing?

0 Not allowed!
    Yeah I just take some of the water change water in a bucket and rinse the foam filter.

As for the second part or your question, are you asking about the actual filter housing?
    Thanks, that should be easy enough. Yep, the actual filter housing, along with the motor.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    That you'll probably have to refer to the manufacturers instructions, particularly for the motor. Filter housing shouldn't really require much cleaning unless something really builds up or gets gunked up. In that case, yes, some tank water and soft rag or brush would do it.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cermet
    First-NEVER replace the filter media or you will lose your hard earned cycle! Its the bacteria in the filter media that you took so much effort to grow; so please, don't ever throw it out.

If the media needs to be cleaned, just rinse in used (in a bucket) tank water. Then replace back into the filter. As the stuff were's out, add more. Never, never, replace!

Next - why do a fishless cycle? Just hook the new filter to your existing tank and let it run four or five weeks. Instant filter cycle in a can ... I mean tank. Do remember that removing the extra filter will cause a mini-cycle in the exstablished tank - just remember you will need to measure the tank water and do a water change to get any (if any) ammonia/nitrite mini-spike.

Likewise, the new filter will need fish to provide waste for it to continue to grow - add about half (assuming the two filters had identical flow rates - use a ratio if not. For the number of fish to add if the flow rate is twice as much, then add 2/3's as many fish; if only 1/4 - add 1/4 as many fish) as many fish as in the exstablished tank (There will be enough bacteria to handle it.)

Thanks Cermet, appreciate it. That's what I was thinking... Sneaky filter companies. ;P

As for cycling the new tank, do you mean leave the 10gal without any filter and move that one to the new tank along with whatever new filter I'm going to use for the new tank? Will this be a problem for the 10gal tank, if without a filter for 4-5 weeks?

Or do you mean replace the filter on my 10gal with a new filter for 4-5 weeks and put the old filter on the new tank?

I'm confused... sorry. =X

0 Not allowed!
    That you'll probably have to refer to the manufacturers instructions, particularly for the motor. Filter housing shouldn't really require much cleaning unless something really builds up or gets gunked up. In that case, yes, some tank water and soft rag or brush would do it.
    Ok, thanks. Appreciate it!

Awards Showcase

Happy Christmas - MuckyFish thanks for advising on vegetables for my kribs! so here is a discus - ScottishFish You help a lot - PhillipOrigami For the bank account, and thx for the rep - Cliff beautiful discus! - Crispy 
    I know this doesn't help but it's all I can do! - chrisfraser05 for all the wise advice you've given me - fishmommie Congrats on 2000th post! - andreahp Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    Thanks for the rep :-) - ~firefly~ appreciate it. - fishmommie Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶ - korith For all the good advice you give. - ~firefly~ 
    Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff thanks for the rep points.  appreciate it - fishmommie happy friday! - mojosodope Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep! - steeler1 

Smile

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinVA
    Thanks Cermet, appreciate it. That's what I was thinking... Sneaky filter companies. ;P

As for cycling the new tank, do you mean leave the 10gal without any filter and move that one to the new tank along with whatever new filter I'm going to use for the new tank? Will this be a problem for the 10gal tank, if without a filter for 4-5 weeks?

Or do you mean replace the filter on my 10gal with a new filter for 4-5 weeks and put the old filter on the new tank?

I'm confused... sorry. =X
    Sorry if I was not clear. The established tank has a mature filter - the one you just cycled.

Now, you said you want to get another tank (a 55 gal?) - when you do get it, you will also buy a new filter for it. Add that new filter to your established tank and let it run (letting bacteria grow in it since this orginal tank has fish and its original filter are already in it.) Then after five weeks, fill your new tank with water AND some fish, and transfer the EXTRA filter (the one you bought for the new tank) from the established tank to the new one. The original (old) filter always remains on the old tank (I assume the ten gallon) - ONLY the new filter gets transfered.

I hope this makes more sense

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cermet
    Sorry if I was not clear. The established tank has a mature filter - the one you just cycled.

Now, you said you want to get another tank (a 55 gal?) - when you do get it, you will also buy a new filter for it. Add that new filter to your established tank and let it run (letting bacteria grow in it since this orginal tank has fish and its original filter are already in it.) Then after five weeks, fill your new tank with water AND some fish, and transfer the EXTRA filter (the one you bought for the new tank) from the established tank to the new one. The original (old) filter always remains on the old tank (I assume the ten gallon) - ONLY the new filter gets transfered.

I hope this makes more sense
    Ahha! Yep, that makes perfect sense. Thanks for clearing that up for me, it's a big help. I think I'll do that. Hopefully I'll have enough room on the 10 for the 55's filter. Any recommendations for a 55gal tank filter? I've been looking at a bunch of different options, but not sure how efficient a HOB filter will actually be in a 55.