· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks Kurly. That filter was actually suggested to me earlier in this thread. Really like the versatility of it. Completely different media type from my previous filter, but it's much better - I like the separation of the bio/chem/mechanical.

So, per your advice, I'm allowing the fish to adapt. Again, so far, so good.

Thanks for all the help, I really appreciate it. Now, onto cycling! ;]

0 Not allowed!
    Hey guys,

Just wanted to mention that I was able to buy the API test today. Some interesting findings:

pH: 7.6
    ammonia: .25ppm
    nitrites: 0
    nitrates: 0

What's interesting is that my tap water's pH is 7.0, so something in the tank is definitely changing the pH. I assume anything you add to it, chemical, biological, or otherwise, can effect it. I'm also assuming that a 7.6 pH is cause for some worry? I did read that different types of fish prefer different pH levels, but hopefully 7.6 isn't too bad.

Any thoughts or suggestions? If 7.6 is too high, do you think regular water changes will keep it more neutral?

Also, now that my ammonia is at .25ppm, I'm a little less worried that nothing's changing in the tank and it looks like the cycling process is underway. Since it's only .25, do you think I should do daily 25% water changes, or 10%? Maybe bi-daily?

Sorry for the many questions... just trying to do things right.

0 Not allowed!
    The pH is not stable because the water is not stable. It will change numerous times during the cycling period but nothing is wrong with 7.6, either. Try to keep that ammonia no more than .25-.50 and do a water change if it gets over that. Add no more fish.

I agree with the 3 minutes of feeding time. Think of their stomaches as the size of their eye. It takes very little to make a fish happy.

PS....Many times fungus will just disappear on it's own with cleaner water than what they come from. I would do nothing for now.
    Last edited by Lady Hobbs; 03-04-2012 at 09:12 PM.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Hobbs
    The pH is not stable because the water is not stable. It will change numerous times during the cycling period but nothing is wrong with 7.6, either. Try to keep that ammonia no more than .25-.50 and do a water change if it gets over that. Add no more fish.

I agree with the 3 minutes of feeding time. Think of their stomaches as the size of their eye. It takes very little to make a fish happy.

PS....Many times fungus will just disappear on it's own with cleaner water than what they come from. I would do nothing for now.
    Thanks Lady, really appreciate it! =]

0 Not allowed!
    Hey guys,

I have returned. Everything is going pretty well with the aquarium now. My fish are still doing well and I'm in the process of cycling my tank. The only thing really spiking, however, is the ammonia levels, which I see as a good sign. Hopefully I'll see Nitrate levels going up soon, which will mean some good bacteria is present.

I do have a question about this process, though:

Every time I do a partial water change, my fish throw up. I try to be careful and as non-intrusive as an intruder can be, but it doesn't seem to matter. They freak out, throw-up and huddle together.

Do they eventually get used to this, or should I just get used to them getting scared? I feel bad, of course, but once the change is complete, they seem fine and adapt pretty quickly again. I suppose I just want to make sure that I'm not going to give them a heart attack or something. I'd like them to stick around for a while, and so far, so good. ;]

Thanks again!

Awards Showcase

Why thank-you - Cliff The grammar crab has you in its grasp! D: - Trillianne Thanks for the clarification - Mith A few clown for the fellow SW clowns. :D - ILuvMyGoldBarb sorry about your angelfish - smaug 
    Many cultures donw through the ages have known that Ice cream is the perfect band-aid for all occasions. ~  Sorry for your loss. - 850R Here's some Christmass Cheer, Happy Holidays Sheamurai - Cliff merry xmas, keep good care of him - genocidex Beer! The perfect gift for any occasion - Merry Chrismas! - 850R I'm glad your here and a active forum member - Cliff 
    penguin for a friend XD - genocidex Thanks for the help with that spammer !!! - Cliff Thank you for the kind words - Cliff Merry Christmas - Cliff To help you re-stock the tank - Cliff 
    Discus and Beer! - Sandz To Discus Days!!! - JudiJetson For very clear advice! - houdini56 Happy Holidays! - Rue Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 

0 Not allowed!
    Give them some hiding spots, fish don't usually freak out to that extent. usually they hide for a bit, and then the braver ones come out to see whats going on.

The only reason for panic that I can think of is that they don't have what they think is a good hidey hole.
    20gal long planted community

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by sheamurai
    Give them some hiding spots, fish don't usually freak out to that extent. usually they hide for a bit, and then the braver ones come out to see whats going on.

The only reason for panic that I can think of is that they don't have what they think is a good hidey hole.
    Thanks Sheamurai. I'll try something else in there. I'll probably have to replace something, since it's already well populated w/ fake plants/rock formations, but I'll think of something.

Also, just wanted to let you know that the "fungus" that was on my smaller Tetra has gone away, so it looks like you (I think it was you, who suggested it) were right about the water changes. After about a steady week of water changes, he's cleared up. So, thanks for that, as well. No fungus guard needed!

Awards Showcase

Why thank-you - Cliff The grammar crab has you in its grasp! D: - Trillianne Thanks for the clarification - Mith A few clown for the fellow SW clowns. :D - ILuvMyGoldBarb sorry about your angelfish - smaug 
    Many cultures donw through the ages have known that Ice cream is the perfect band-aid for all occasions. ~  Sorry for your loss. - 850R Here's some Christmass Cheer, Happy Holidays Sheamurai - Cliff merry xmas, keep good care of him - genocidex Beer! The perfect gift for any occasion - Merry Chrismas! - 850R I'm glad your here and a active forum member - Cliff 
    penguin for a friend XD - genocidex Thanks for the help with that spammer !!! - Cliff Thank you for the kind words - Cliff Merry Christmas - Cliff To help you re-stock the tank - Cliff 
    Discus and Beer! - Sandz To Discus Days!!! - JudiJetson For very clear advice! - houdini56 Happy Holidays! - Rue Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 

0 Not allowed!
    Glad to hear it!

When it comes to hiding, they generally like caves they can dart into, better yet if there is a "back door" so they don't feel trapped once they are in it.
    20gal long planted community

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by sheamurai
    Glad to hear it!

When it comes to hiding, they generally like caves they can dart into, better yet if there is a "back door" so they don't feel trapped once they are in it.
    Sounds good. I'll look for something tomorrow. Thanks again!

Default Success!

0 Not allowed!
    Hey guys, just wanted to let you know that I reached success in finally cycling my tank.

It was March 1, where I replaced my Top Fin filter with an AquaClear 20, so it took about 7 weeks to fully cycle my 10gal aquarium (which occurred on April 20). I just added 2 more Long Fin Red Minor Tetras to finish up my tank (wanted to give them a small school to feel more comfortable with) and the cycling begins anew!

I did start using API Stress Zyme after about 4 weeks and that's when Nitrites started appearing. Continuing to add it weekly, I was able to finish up the cycle after three additional weeks. I'm not sure if it was the Stress Zyme that finally sped things along, or that it was naturally occurring, but I think I'll continue to use it, since I've only seen positive effects with it.

All of my fish are still alive and doing well. It was interesting to watch the tetras begin to congregate with each other and start schooling around. The Gourami didn't like the new additions at first, but he's beginning to cope. He's definitely the Grand Poobah of the tank, as he's established a corner and cave that is his.

In the beginning, he would chase the tetras out of his cave and out of his corner, but he's allowing them to take residence now and then. Adding more fish has definitely upped the ante and made the tank a bit more fun and full of life.

This tanks full and done, so I'm thinking... onto the next! I think I'm going to add a 55gal, once the biological filter is complete again. Then I'll do some fishless cycling.

I did have one question, though: Now that I've cycled the tank and it's beginning again, should I replace any of the media in the filter? I know I was supposed to leave everything alone during the essential cycling, but the instructions suggest changing out the carbon once per month, I think the foam every 2 months and the bio filter every 3 months.

Thanks again for all your help, you've been a great asset to my new fish-keeping hobby.