· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Tensions seem to run a little high in this post so I think its best we all calm down a little bit.

Stridin:

I cannot say that I disagree with whats been said here but I will say that I disagree with the way it has been said. What you take away from the experience and advice of all the people on this forum who try to help should be considered as just that: advice.

No one can force you into doing anything you do not want to do nor should they criminalize your actions when you yourself cannot recognize them as criminal.

That being said, based on the consensus on this thread from contributors, especially nikelodeon79 who I've found to be very knowledgeable when it comes to betta care, I feel that it is inadvisable for you to separate your tank into three sections and keep three separate males bettas, one per section. I won't go over the talking points again, they have already been stated.

The betta bowls you see betta fish in at pet stores should only be viewed as temporary holding pens for the fish, and not a home from which a betta is liberated; it would again be inadvisable or perhaps even incorrect to consider a betta bowl a suitable habitat for a betta fish.

I suggest that you go over the material presented within this thread, consider your options, and then come to a resolution and then share that resolution with us so we may weigh in on whether or not you should proceed. Again, consider that the judgement calls made on this forum come from experience not from random guessing.

I hope everything works out well for you and your future fish. Please continue to post and ask questions and the AC will do its best to help answer those questions and provide the best advice.

-hP

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I have decided to just divide the tank in two instead of three. Now im going to do some extensive plant attatching to the divider so that they cant see eachother easily.

Im starting to realize people on here have very strong opinions and Im debating whether to use this forum anymore. People on here can be quite abrasive and I think they need to realize that people might not want to listen to them when they are like that. I have only found a few members that were polite and nice about the advice. Telling someone that their plan is cruel isnt going to make them want to listen to you.

I think I would have taken the advice really well if some people hadnt said it in the way they did.

Its too bad this has changed my opinion about this forum, I found it helpful in the past.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I went back and read and didn't see where anyone called it "cruel" but instead said it was a bad idea. In my first response, I said no to three, but two was possible, and then outlined the reasons why I personally don't do divided tanks for Bettas. I probably should not have said it was "a bad idea" and honestly would've been more diplomatic if I hadn't been typing on my dang phone. I'm not a "short and to the point" kind of person... my responses tend to be quite lengthy, LOL! I do apologize for shooting your idea down like that.

My response to the "puddles" comment was short but again I was on my phone (I really need to stop posting on my phone). It's a common misconception that rice paddies are like puddles but that is simply not true. Again, no offense meant to you personally... most people are misinformed and why wouldn't they be: signs up on Petco and Petsmart are full of lies and mistruths regarding bettas.

I DID get defensive and more aggressive in my responses once you said the following:

Quote Originally Posted by stridin
    Some of the stuff I have read and the opinions I have seen on this forum are a bit ridiculous at times.
    I though people would be realistic and give me some positive advice.
    And really there is no way of knowing how much experiance people on here actually have.
    When I get called "ridiculous," unrealistic, negative, and my fishkeeping experience is questions.. well.. I think I have a right to get a bit defensive.

ETA: Went back and read again and did see where the word "cruel" was used. Don't see why that's enough to condemn a whole forum, but again, your choice. I'm glad you will be only dividing the 20 into two, and would like to see pics of your setup and your bettas if you decide to stick around.

I should also add that I do have very strong opinions when it comes to proper keeping of my favorite fish, which include bettas, corydoras, and mbuna. :)
    Last edited by nikelodeon79; 03-04-2012 at 09:56 PM.
    "The Dumpster Tank" 26g flat back hex - Betta albimarginata, corydoras, checker barbs, pork chop rasbora

"Nano Fish Tank" 20g long - Celestial Pearl Danios, microrasboras, Corydoras habrosus

"Mbuna Tank" 75g - Ps. saulosi, I. sprengerae, M. pulpican, M. joanjohnsonae

"Time Out Tank" 29g - dominant male Cynotilapia sp. "hara"

0 Not allowed!
    This is the water your so called "puddle-fish" come from. As you can see, in the wild they do not swim in 2 gallons or 4 gallons. They have a lot of room to roam. People seem to think they are in hog heaven because they are in 3 gallons rather than a cup. That cup is their home only until they are sold and because they do not get along with others.

I would not try to put 3 Betta's in a 20 gallon with dividers. I "might" divide the 20 for two if they absolutely can not observe each other but most likely would put one in there with some dither fish.

If you do not have room for the fish, don't get the fish. Stridin......this is a forum. If you post a question asking for opinions, you will get opinions.

To post photos like my thumbnail, click on GO ADVANCED and enter your photo in MANAGE ATTACHMENTS. It must be resized if too large.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Lady Hobbs; 03-04-2012 at 10:05 PM.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I would like to post pics of the Indigo and Velvet but when I try it says that I need to type in the URL. My pics are on my computer so there isnt a URL for them. So I dont really know how to put pics up lol

0 Not allowed!
    Upload them to a site such as Flickr or photobucket
    -or-
    add the photos as attatchments in additional options
    or
    Add them to the photo gallery on this site then add them by URL.
    American League Champions! TIGERS!

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by stridin
    I would like to post pics of the Indigo and Velvet but when I try it says that I need to type in the URL. My pics are on my computer so there isnt a URL for them. So I dont really know how to put pics up lol
    I usually upload all my pictures to www.photobucket.com. Creating an account is free. All you need to do to post them after you upload them is copy and past the IMG code.
    "The Dumpster Tank" 26g flat back hex - Betta albimarginata, corydoras, checker barbs, pork chop rasbora

"Nano Fish Tank" 20g long - Celestial Pearl Danios, microrasboras, Corydoras habrosus

"Mbuna Tank" 75g - Ps. saulosi, I. sprengerae, M. pulpican, M. joanjohnsonae

"Time Out Tank" 29g - dominant male Cynotilapia sp. "hara"

0 Not allowed!
    Right! The IMG code goes in the body of the post.

Photos on your computer not on a website, go below the post in Manage Attachments and post as a thumbnail. (size restricted)

In photobucket, you can set the size you want all your photos to be. I have picked the 800 x pixel as it's a good size for all forums. It resizes automatically.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!

Here are the pics of my fish let me know if this works
    Last edited by Lady Hobbs; 03-05-2012 at 02:10 AM.

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Here are a couple more that I took when I first got them. They were all fluffed up because of the black backing on my aquarium so I took that off after I took the pics. These pics were took with my phone so they arent a good quality.

[IMG]
    Last edited by stridin; 03-04-2012 at 11:27 PM.