· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I didnt mean literally puddles, that is just how I have heard people put it. I know they lived in rice paddies

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    not trying to be rude but.. why do you ask us if we think this is a good idea, get an unbiased answer from everyone in the thread saying its a bad idea and unfair to the betta, and ignore our opinion and experience and say well ill do it anyways?

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I really didnt know what kind of answer I was going to get. Some of the stuff I have read and the opinions I have seen on this forum are a bit ridiculous at times. There is a pet store called Red Fish Blue Fish in my city and he doesnt follow some of the rules that the people on here have made up. but he is still extremely experianced and runs a amazing fish store with the healthyiest fish I have ever seen. So far he has given advice that makes sense and doesnt sound silly and that actually works better then some of the advice on here. The only reason I asked on here was because I though people would be realistic and give me some positive advice.

The replys on here are most definatly biased as bettas seem to do just great in a 5 gallon. Realisticly someone is not going to buy a betta and put it in a 20 gallon tank on its own. I have never heard of someone doing that. So are the people on here saying that I shouldnt have got a betta that would have lived most likely in the little cup or bowl for the rest of its life? I am giving it the space of more than a bowls space with extremely clean water and way more swimming space. And really there is no way of knowing how much experiance people on here actually have.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    In other words, you asked so we could pat you on the back and tell you that you made the right decision? Sorry to disappoint. I will ALWAYS advocate what's right for the fish, not what makes the poster "feel better."

Here's the difference between people on the forum and the owner of that fish store:

WE'RE NOT TRYING TO SELL YOU SOMETHING.

But, whatever floats your boat. It's your decision.

FYI just because the bettas' lives will be marginally better than they would be in someone else's tank doesn't give you an excuse to keep them improperly.

For the record, I do believe that bettas can do just fine in 5g tanks. HOWEVER, you are talking about dividing a 20g tank. Let's look at the numbers.

A standard 5g tank is 16" long. That is 16" of swimming space.

Dividing a standard 20g tank (24" long) means you have three 8" long sections. Fish generally swim back and forth, not up and down (though they do combine both back and forth swimming with up and down swimming). Eight inches of swimming space is NOT enough, considering the average betta is 2.5-3" long (not including the tail). So, basically the betta turns around... and there's the end of his tank.

Dividing a 20g into two sections would be fine, dividing into three is ridiculous.

I'm sure the LFS owner will be very happy that he gets to sell you another betta, though.
    Last edited by nikelodeon79; 03-02-2012 at 02:51 PM.
    "The Dumpster Tank" 26g flat back hex - Betta albimarginata, corydoras, checker barbs, pork chop rasbora

"Nano Fish Tank" 20g long - Celestial Pearl Danios, microrasboras, Corydoras habrosus

"Mbuna Tank" 75g - Ps. saulosi, I. sprengerae, M. pulpican, M. joanjohnsonae

"Time Out Tank" 29g - dominant male Cynotilapia sp. "hara"

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I also just read some other posts about bettas and the people on those posts were planning on having their betta in a 3 and then a 5 gallon and no one said that that is cruel or horrible so I dont get why my situation is such a cruel thing. One person even had a 10 gallon with a divider and no one said "thats a cruel thing to do".

Well then you have many many other betta owners to scold and tell them that they keep their fish improperly and you should probably scold all the pet stores too.(I dont agree with how pet stores have their bettas in cups but they do it anyways). Also it seems that the width of the tank is being forgotten.

And also the pet store that I am talking about didnt sell me either of the bettas, so he wasnt trying to sell me anything

0 Not allowed!
    You thought the "realistic" and "positive advice" would be some that would match what your LFS told you...so now you're the hero giving them more room than the cups they are sold in.

Bettas can make good use of LOTS more swimming space - unfortunately the way they are marketed, people think they are perfectly happy in tiny spaces - just like 1 gallon bowls are marketed so people will think they can keep goldfish in them.
    Last edited by imma24; 03-02-2012 at 03:15 PM.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, green corys, 1 guppy, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT with green corys & 2 guppies

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    For the record, I do my best to try and educate employees at the fish stores but advice generally falls on deaf ears (as it does often in online forums).

I do not agree with keeping bettas in tanks smaller than 5g but honestly it's better than the setup you're planning on. A standard 2.5g tank is 12" long which is at least enough for the betta to turn around and have a little bit of a swim. I personally would never do it and do not condone or recommend it.

A standard 10g tank is 20" long. A divided 10g gives the fish 10" of swimming room and, again, I do not think it is adequate but STILL a bit better than a 24" tank divided into three sections.

Personally, I think a 10g undivided is a perfect betta tank. I also think a 20g is a great home for a single betta... particularly plakats because they tend to be a lot more active.

Honestly, I don't recommend divided tanks with bettas AT ALL because there really isn't a way to make that divider betta proof. You would be amazed at how small of a space these fish can wiggle through when they're determined. They can also jump. Many people do use divided tanks, however.

I simply cannot understand why you are so determined to have a tank divided in three. Why not just divide it in two, and each betta would have 12" of swimming space?
    "The Dumpster Tank" 26g flat back hex - Betta albimarginata, corydoras, checker barbs, pork chop rasbora

"Nano Fish Tank" 20g long - Celestial Pearl Danios, microrasboras, Corydoras habrosus

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by andreahp
    Bettas can make good use of LOTS more swimming space - unfortunately the way they are marketed, people think they are perfectly happy in tiny spaces - just like 1 gallon bowls are marketed so people will think they can keep goldfish in them.
    Additionally, there are loads of people (including fish store employees) that actually believe that bettas are UNHAPPY in larger tanks and they REQUIRE tiny spaces. Sad.

9. Post My personal divided tank experience

0 Not allowed!
    Hello Stridin. I am a guilty party to having 2 in a 10, but like they said, that's 10" of swimming space, and mine like to swim around the perimeters and avoid the middle so its about a 10x10" square they circle. Still much bigger than the 20gal split in 3. Not saying mine is perfect either, in fact i have noticed several problems over time that would be even worse having two dividers in a tank.

1. Sturdiness - as previously stated, if that divider slips just a little bit, there is a tiny gap that they can fit thru if they like. Mine did that oce and luckily i was there. Not good if i wasnt though.
    2. Filter flow - I had tried every way possible to get the current from one side of the divider to the other. You would think it goes through fine, but no, it doesnt. I turned a huge filter WAY up, and the flow hit the divider like it was a solid wall and just churned water up all in one side. I had to balance my filter on the divider now so that the flow is equally distributed in each side, but the input of the filter can only go on one side, and that affects the other side's quality, causing more work to keep it good. Also, the side that had the filter on originally the poor betta was getting thrown around by the vicious current. Bettas like the water much calmer.
    3. Diseases - If one betta gets sick, the disease spreads through the divider to the other one.
    4. Jumpers - my bettas dont jump, but my frogs and pleco do. If the bettas did jump, they would easily copy the frogs and pleco and plop into eachother's side. If there is any area, which there always is, (the lid that lifts up to feed) anything that can jump will jump, right over it.

So if i would have made a forum like this before deciding to go through with it and do my divided tank and learned these things, i would've probably not done it. I suggest if you really want a divided tank, only do one divider, because with two dividers you have these problems times 2.
    Last edited by ekfishlover2011; 03-03-2012 at 01:36 AM.
    10gal Betta Tank - Skye the crowntail and Squiggles the deformed albino cory
    10gal Tank- Glofish
    75gal- Everything

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by stridin
    I really didnt know what kind of answer I was going to get. Some of the stuff I have read and the opinions I have seen on this forum are a bit ridiculous at times. There is a pet store called Red Fish Blue Fish in my city and he doesnt follow some of the rules that the people on here have made up. but he is still extremely experianced and runs a amazing fish store with the healthyiest fish I have ever seen. So far he has given advice that makes sense and doesnt sound silly and that actually works better then some of the advice on here. The only reason I asked on here was because I though people would be realistic and give me some positive advice.

The replys on here are most definatly biased as bettas seem to do just great in a 5 gallon. Realisticly someone is not going to buy a betta and put it in a 20 gallon tank on its own. I have never heard of someone doing that. So are the people on here saying that I shouldnt have got a betta that would have lived most likely in the little cup or bowl for the rest of its life? I am giving it the space of more than a bowls space with extremely clean water and way more swimming space. And really there is no way of knowing how much experiance people on here actually have.
    until recently my betta has been in a 36gal bowfront by himself, and some snails, so now you HAVE heard of someone doing it. you asked if it was a good idea and you got pretty much a flat out no. were not telling you no because we dont like you. were telling you no becuase we would not personally do it. because a fish is capable of living in a small area doesnt mean its right.

a betta in a tank that is 8inches long has space thats only 2-3 times its body length to explore. to relate it to human terms you looking at spending your entire life in a room much smaller than a prison cell. and while it is possible and some people are in prison for life and living, it still sucks. now factor into it dividers that can slip and you now have a prison with three inmates who hate and want to kill eachother, and the locks on the doors dont work every now and again.

also a five gal IIRC is like 16inches long, which even though its less gallonage than a 20 split in three its much more swimming space

please dont come here asking advice of experience and responsible fish keepers, and criticize us by saying our combined experience is wrong, or inaccurate.
    Last edited by KatzeSlaugen; 03-04-2012 at 02:49 AM.