· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Thread: ADF Woes

Default ADF Woes

0 Not allowed!
    I've kept ADF's for quite some time now, I target feed every other day to make sure they are getting what they need. "Squishy" a female, we've had for over a year and a half, plump, active and hilarious.

However, five baby frogs have died on us, all the same way. Four in the tank with Squishy, and one in my daughter's Betta tank. Both of these tanks are cycled and WELL maintained. They get weekly water changes, (25%) I use Prime, the filters are rinsed in removed tank water all the parameters are perfect. PH 7.2ish, ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 0-5ppm depending on how close it is to water change time. They are target hand fed frozen thawed blood worms, and once in a while freeze dried. They also enjoy leftovers of the fishes Omega One foods, and nibbles of the snails algae wafers. (if the snail lets them get anywhere near it, that is :)

As noted, Squishy is fine, plump and happy, and has actually survived a ph and cycle crash from a power failure, twice! We have tried five babies, and all end up with the same problem.

They will be fine for one week, then suddenly, become buoyant, and have a hard time getting to the bottom. Once this happens, the rest is extremely fast. Suddenly their back legs wont move, then one arm, then the other, then, they just "float". They are not bloated, it isn't dropsy. They look entirely normal, except they are dead. From buoyant to dead, is usually a day to two days!

Four of the babies came from one Petco, the same one we originally got Squishy a year and a half ago. The other, we drove four towns away to another Petco, same thing, even in a different tank with my daughter's Betta. He died yesterday, only having started floating that morning.

I'm heartbroken, truth be told, and so is my daughter. We love these little guys, and I know they are best in small groups or pairs, as they like company. However I'm terrified to even attempt this again, first, because I can't handle another loss, and second, I don't want to expose Squishy to whatever this is.......... because if I harm that frog my daughter will kick my sorry rear end!

Anyone have a clue what's going on? I was pretty sure I was relatively experienced in dwarf frogs, but this has me entirely baffled.

Awards Showcase

Good luck with the community tank!  You WILL post pics when it's up and running!  Welcome to AC BTW - Mith for ur tank ! welcome to AC ! - Neon im not a good hug'er - rookie Grats on the fry! - Northernguy To go with your beer!  Thanks for the help! - dragoonwoman 
    Thanks for playing Mafia! - Agassizii Happy Holidays - Northernguy Hey!  I hope you and your family have a wonderful Christmas!!!! - Mith Welcome to AC. - Brookfish For your pancake bunny - Cliff 
    aww thanks LOL  (Mith welling up with tears) LOL - Mith For all your help and patience!!!!! - fish00053 That was the greatist thing ever - Pele A new cory for your 10 gallon - Cliff For the  help - Rue 
    Dude that's the funniest signature I've seen on this site. Have a beer. - harpua2002 A piece of cake to thank everybody that posted in my anniversary thread for their kind words. - gadget228 For getting too close to pleco's breeding rabbits. - gadget228 Awesome sig, make me chuckle :) - FinalJenemba Merry Xmas! Hope U have a good one! Thanks for all the DIY help! :) - Mrs.JayMay23 

0 Not allowed!
    Is it possible they are eating the substrate? Depending on the type it could cause intestinal blockage. Some, if not most ADF will try and eat anything. Even their own feet.
    Who is "General Failure" and why is he reading my hard drive?

0 Not allowed!
    No, its not the substrate, I had considered this too, but the gravel is far too large for them to get into their mouths.

0 Not allowed!
    Do you feed alot of blood worms by chance?
    -Jordan
    Gar connaisseur

Predatory Tank:
    20" Tropical Gar, 18" Florida Gar, 20" Longnose Gar,
    17" Ornate Bichir, 25" Silver Arowana, 16" Bowfin, 15" Giant Gourami

16" Male Dovii

0 Not allowed!
    Yes, bloodworms are the staple of their diet. Is it related?