· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Okay, I won't use any more of the Instant Ocean stuff... just not sure how else to get the nitrates down if they're already high before the cycle has even really started (I have no reason to believe that the nitrates are actually due to cycle, just think they are from the water supply). I know trates will come down with the building of BB, but I don't know if it'll build to the point where it can take care of both the trates in the water supply and the trates converted from ammonia/trites (in my FW tank trates are 40 ppm in spite of water changes and completed cycle, but I know I can't get away with this in a SW tank).

In any case, a water change where I replace existing water with RO/DI water should help things, I just don't want to do a water change until the cycle is well under way unless I have to...
    120g SW mixed reef (see profile for equipment info) RBTAs, Shrooms, Zoas (new!) and fish..... and two fat cats
    "The seaweed is always greener in somebody else's lake." -Sebastian the crab

0 Not allowed!
    It is a bit of a balancing act. During my two cycles, the nitrates started to drop a two to three weeks after the nitrites disappeared.

I think you have a good plan to start with some water changes using RO/DI water once the nitrites have dropped.

Sometimes your rock can be like a nitrate & phosphate sponge. When the levels are high in the water the rock can absorb some nitrates and phosphates. When you lower the nitrates and phosphates in the water, then your rock can leach out the nitrates and phosphates that were previously absorbed.
    That is why it would be a good idea to get the nitrate levels down once the cycle is nearing the end. You'll be allowing the nitrate eating bacteria a chance to grow while not letting the levels high enough for too long limiting the chance for nitrates to be absorbed into the rock.
    Last edited by Cliff; 03-02-2012 at 07:31 PM.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Okay, makes sense. Thanks!

So much easier doing this without fish and not having to worry about how they will react!
    120g SW mixed reef (see profile for equipment info) RBTAs, Shrooms, Zoas (new!) and fish..... and two fat cats

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by cat_fish_lady
    Grr! Today my patience is tested as I have been planning on getting 1 or 2 of a particular fish from live aquaria that are apparently rare and only stocked in limited quantities... of course I joined their "notify me when available" list (thinking I'd be waiting a long time) and today they are available... but my tank is not ready!
    What fish are you waiting on?
    Considering a Marine Aquarium? A Breakdown of the Components, Live Rock, Cycling a Marine Tank

"The capacity to learn is a gift; The ability to learn is a skill; The WILLINGNESS to learn is a choice." - Unknown

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Mimic Saddle Puffer (Filefish)

I should mention, for anyone who might consider it themselves, that it is not invert safe, at least not according to other websites.
    Last edited by cat_fish_lady; 03-03-2012 at 07:56 AM.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Finally an updated pic!

Not the full effect of the lighting yet... waiting on the glass cover, for now it is over a cover that is half dark so not as much light is getting through.

0 Not allowed!
    looks good so far. Sorry, I may have asked this before, but how much rock is that?
    Considering a Marine Aquarium? A Breakdown of the Components, Live Rock, Cycling a Marine Tank

"The capacity to learn is a gift; The ability to learn is a skill; The WILLINGNESS to learn is a choice." - Unknown

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by ILuvMyGoldBarb
    looks good so far. Sorry, I may have asked this before, but how much rock is that?
    Altogether about 70 lbs... I put the rock down before the sand so there is like 2 inches of rock under the sand itself... don't feel like digging it out though lol. Should be adding 40 more lbs tomorrow.

The live rock was definitely 13 lbs, the LFS measured it for me, the rest I bought on CL and I didn't make the guy measure it so it may have been less. But it sure was HEAVY to carry upstairs lol

0 Not allowed!
    That has to be some really dense rock for it to weigh that much. If you look in my build thread for my 210, early on there are some pics of what I have. Keep in mind, my tank is 72"x24"30" and I have ~180lbs or rock in it. The really bad thing about dense rock, is that it doesn't provide great filtration. This is the entire reason I don't like the "pound-per-gallon" guide for SW tanks. With low quality rock, it leaves the keeper with a false sense of security making them feeling they have plenty of filtration.

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by ILuvMyGoldBarb
    That has to be some really dense rock for it to weigh that much. If you look in my build thread for my 210, early on there are some pics of what I have. Keep in mind, my tank is 72"x24"30" and I have ~180lbs or rock in it. The really bad thing about dense rock, is that it doesn't provide great filtration. This is the entire reason I don't like the "pound-per-gallon" guide for SW tanks. With low quality rock, it leaves the keeper with a false sense of security making them feeling they have plenty of filtration.
    Yeah, I got the impression it wasn't the best rock to be using since it is dense, but it was cheap enough and I wanted to at least start with SOME base. I actually really like the look of a very rock-filled tank anyway so I don't think I'll have any issues with not having enough rock in there, it's just going to take me a while to accumulate it all