· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Also reposting my "clean slate" pic of my tank just to show what I'm working with... I embedded it incorrectly in an earlier post and can't edit it now... boo
    120g SW mixed reef (see profile for equipment info) RBTAs, Shrooms, Zoas (new!) and fish..... and two fat cats
    "The seaweed is always greener in somebody else's lake." -Sebastian the crab

0 Not allowed!
    One quick question for you about this tank. Have you ever used a copper based medication in this tank for your FW fish?
    Considering a Marine Aquarium? A Breakdown of the Components, Live Rock, Cycling a Marine Tank

"The capacity to learn is a gift; The ability to learn is a skill; The WILLINGNESS to learn is a choice." - Unknown

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Nope, only thing I ever used was Kordon Ick Attack, which says it is safe for reef :) But good thought I wouldn't have checked otherwise
    120g SW mixed reef (see profile for equipment info) RBTAs, Shrooms, Zoas (new!) and fish..... and two fat cats

4. Default It begins!

0 Not allowed!
    Got everything started today... set up the base rock, filled in aragonite substrate, got the tank up and running at property salinity and temp, and finally took a trip to my LFS (mostly just to look at the pretty fish in anticipation of one day adding some, lol, but also to buy live rock) and put 13 lbs of perfect purple cured live rock in with the 55 lbs of dry rock.

And now... I wait.

I'll post pics when the aragonite has settled down a little more, it's a bit cloudy atm.

There's no way this is going to actually end up being a FOWLR. lol. Soft corals are just too pretty... so some day I'll make the investment in the proper lighting etc. But for now I can just wait and watch for hitchhikers.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by cat_fish_lady
    There's no way this is going to actually end up being a FOWLR. lol. Soft corals are just too pretty....

LOL, welcome to the club. My first FOWLR tank has a lot of SPS coral in it now

Just keep you long term plan in mind when getting fish for your tank so you won't have to worry about re-homing any coral nippers latter on.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Mine started off FOWLR, too. Now I intend to have soft, hard LPS and SPS in the tank. I think it's a common evolution.
    كل نفس ذائقة الموت ثم الينا ترجعون

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Things are going well, lots of changes in the past few days! My Aquaclear HOB filter fried (not really sure what happened but the motor is kicked), so I chucked it, don't really need that anyway. I added a Marineland 900 powerhead instead for circulation, so I think it's a change for the better.

But other WAY more exciting news... I do not have to ponder lighting choices anymore... as it was my anniversary with my BF of 4 years yesterday and he got me a present... the lighting he knew I wanted but can't afford!! It's the Coralife T5 HO quad light fixture with lunar LEDs. I'm so excited to get it (still in the mail). Smart boy knows the way to my heart is through aquarium stuff lol...

Pics of the tank will be posted once lighting is in place. Also added live sand today so things are still kinda cloudy... but I'm really happy with the progress so far. I added a black background and things look great.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Cool. With that lighting you should be able to have most softies, LPS and maybe some lower light SPS!
    كل نفس ذائقة الموت ثم الينا ترجعون

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Grr! Today my patience is tested as I have been planning on getting 1 or 2 of a particular fish from live aquaria that are apparently rare and only stocked in limited quantities... of course I joined their "notify me when available" list (thinking I'd be waiting a long time) and today they are available... but my tank is not ready!

Wah :( Well if nothing else this is proving to myself that I have cultivated some self-control in the past year of fish keeping... but darn it I want those fishies! Hope I can still find some in a few months when my tank is ready.

In other news, my new lights should be arriving today! I'll be picking them up after work and once they are set up I will post a pic. I'll also be adding more live rock this weekend (instead of buying groceries... lol...)

Cycle is going well... 0.5 ppm ammonia, still 0 trites. I have about 20 ppm trates because I used tap water to fill the tank initially and apparently my tap water has trates... so I'll have to start buying packaged RO water from the pet store, or else invest in an RO/DI system, for the future. For now I've added some Instant Ocean nitrate remover... hopefully doesn't totally mess up my cycle.

0 Not allowed!
    I would not suggest using some nitrate removing products right now. That could slow down the rate of growth of the denitrifying bacteria which will convert you nitrates in nitrogen gas.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]