· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I have a camel shrimp which has completely left my mushrooms alone, I have to say. That said, I'm thinking of putting it somewhere else even so.
    Last edited by Ashurbarnipal; 03-27-2012 at 05:07 PM.
    كل نفس ذائقة الموت ثم الينا ترجعون

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by hockeyhead019
    Do you have a true peppermint? Because I know that if it's a camelback (often confused with peppers) it will chow on anything it can including shrooms

Mine nipped my leather once and I caught them with the waterbottle and pvc going in so they couldn't get out... they aren't the brightest of all critters haha
    I ordered them from a pretty reputable website so I do think they are actual peppermint shrimp... but either way it doesn't matter, they didn't eat the aiptasia and did eat the mushrooms lol, so they gotsta go
    120g SW mixed reef (see profile for equipment info) RBTAs, Shrooms, Zoas (new!) and fish..... and two fat cats
    "The seaweed is always greener in somebody else's lake." -Sebastian the crab

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    So I finally bit the bullet and bought a protein skimmer... just ordered the AquaC Remora Pro HOB, as it has been recommended and praised everywhere I look. I'm pretty excited about this. Conditions have been stable in the tank but I'm having trouble keeping nitrates under 5-10ppm (when I know <1 ppm is ideal with corals). Doing small partial water changes to counteract this, but hopefully the protein skimmer will help.
    120g SW mixed reef (see profile for equipment info) RBTAs, Shrooms, Zoas (new!) and fish..... and two fat cats

0 Not allowed!
    Time is going to be your biggest help with the nitrates. Your tank is too young to have a fully established biofilter. Once that happens, you will get anaerobic bacteria in the live rock that will take care of nitrate reduction. A protein skimmer will help marginally with this, but it really is just a matter of tank maturity. I don't want to sound like I'm harping here, but this is one of the main reasons stocking slowly is so important.
    Considering a Marine Aquarium? A Breakdown of the Components, Live Rock, Cycling a Marine Tank

"The capacity to learn is a gift; The ability to learn is a skill; The WILLINGNESS to learn is a choice." - Unknown

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by ILuvMyGoldBarb
    Time is going to be your biggest help with the nitrates. Your tank is too young to have a fully established biofilter. Once that happens, you will get anaerobic bacteria in the live rock that will take care of nitrate reduction. A protein skimmer will help marginally with this, but it really is just a matter of tank maturity. I don't want to sound like I'm harping here, but this is one of the main reasons stocking slowly is so important.
    Heh... I know... patience is not my strongest suit, but I'm learning :)

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    So as time has passed, one of my two clownfish (who was always a bit darker than the other) has developed quite a lot of black coloring... I'm starting to think he was actually placed in the wrong tank at the LFS and was mistaken for a regular clown fish, but is actually an onyx clown. This would make sense as it seems onyx clowns don't develop their black coloration until they've grown a bit, so it's possible that there was a mixup (my LFS does carry onyx clowns as well as other "designer" clowns)

Here's a recent shot of the darker one, followed by a shot of my other clown for contrast:

So that has been a nice surprise!

0 Not allowed!
    Based on the even shape of his middle white stripe and the last white stripe on/near his tail, I would say he is black oscilliaris. (some pics below) Both develop their black colors over time, so time will tell. Either way, nice looking fish

Onyx

Black Oscilliaris
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Ooooh, even cooler!!

0 Not allowed!
    Yea I'm with Cliff... I'd say it's just a darker O. Clown I have a pair just like yours a deep red one and a typical orange one haha cool looking clowns!
    55g Long --> After 18mo of doing well the tank crashed during moving. Most likely cause: Flatworm Die-off... won't start another until after moving... Likely not until late 2013

20g Long --> currently concoting a build plan

Check out the journal to follow my 20g SW tank

"Take a chance, because you never know how perfect some things can turn out" -- unknown

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Just a bit of an update on the tank... things are going well with the new AquaC Remora Pro protein skimmer, though it is still in the break-in period and producing lots of micro-bubbles. It has a drilled drain in the collection cup, which is currently routed back to the tank because the initial collection was mostly clean, but soon I'll have to hook this up to some other sort of plastic jug or something so that I'm not defeating the purpose of getting the skimmer in the first place! Still trying to decide on something slim enough to fit behind the tank under the HOB skimmer and not be a terrible eyesore (probably will end up using a milk jug or laundry detergent container painted black).

The fish are all doing well and eating plenty. The acan is also recovering nicely from my little salt incident, and the polyps that are growing in now are actually healthier and more robust looking than the ones it had when I bought it... I think it is happy to finally have a spot where it's not being moved around a lot and has stable water conditions. I've been doing biweekly changes of roughly 10% of the water (aside from topping off with RO/DI freshwater), and this system seems to work well for keeping algae/phosphates/nitrates to a minimum. I give the rocks and substrate a good blasting with a turkey baster before doing water changes to get the detritus up and off the surfaces in the tank.

I also took the first steps on cycling the 36g tank for SW use: cleaned it out, filled with RO/DI salt water and added 1/2 inch of black live sand substrate. It is now running with an AC70 filter on it (no media or sponge, just using it for surface agitation really) and with the heater from the FW setup. Some time in the next few days I'll be moving a few pieces of live rock from the 65g to the 36g to start the cycle, and when that happens it'll get its own thread, though I expect that it will cycle very slowly as I'm only planning on moving about 10 lbs of rock max.

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast