· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast

0 Not allowed!
    That doesn't look like an acan to me.

The salt mix we use is very caustic (as I'm sure you just found out) and can do quite a bit of damage to corals and fish alike. The best way to increase your salinity is to do a small water change with water that his a higher SG.

As for hydrometers vs. refractometers, have a look at the link in my signature to "A Component Breakdown" and read through the section on hydrometers and such. You will find there is a way to get a semi-accurate reading from your hydrometer.
    Considering a Marine Aquarium? A Breakdown of the Components, Live Rock, Cycling a Marine Tank

"The capacity to learn is a gift; The ability to learn is a skill; The WILLINGNESS to learn is a choice." - Unknown

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by ILuvMyGoldBarb
    That doesn't look like an acan to me.
    What do you think it looks like? It's totally possible that the LFS ID'ed it incorrectly...
    120g SW mixed reef (see profile for equipment info) RBTAs, Shrooms, Zoas (new!) and fish..... and two fat cats
    "The seaweed is always greener in somebody else's lake." -Sebastian the crab

0 Not allowed!
    Yup, they likey did get it wrong

That doesn't look like any acan that I have seen. More like some type of Colony Polyp or a type of Favites. I can't really tell from the pic

I would suggested googling those two suggestion so you can see if that is it
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

0 Not allowed!
    I would go so far as to say it is definitely a Favites species. Acans look like this:

This is a Favites species:

There are some species of Favites that look much like Acans and vice versa.
    Last edited by ILuvMyGoldBarb; 03-25-2012 at 10:05 PM.
    Considering a Marine Aquarium? A Breakdown of the Components, Live Rock, Cycling a Marine Tank

"The capacity to learn is a gift; The ability to learn is a skill; The WILLINGNESS to learn is a choice." - Unknown

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    This is the closest thing I have found to what I have so far, which is what made me think the LFS was right about acan:

Acan Brain Coral

But even that is only a close-ish match, not a perfect one. I've tried spot feeding with shrimp-mush (basically frozen raw shrimp in a mini blender with a little water, fed with a turkey baster with powerhead off), but it doesn't seem to eat meat or put out feeding tentacles or anything, so it seems to be feeding off trace elements in the water.

I'll keep looking at coral pics though and see if I can find a closer match... of the two you posted, ILMGB, the second definitely looks more like it.

Edit: this is an exact match, but of course it could be mislabeled on this website lol:
    http://www.melevsreef.com/id/acanthastrea.html
    Last edited by cat_fish_lady; 03-25-2012 at 10:45 PM.
    120g SW mixed reef (see profile for equipment info) RBTAs, Shrooms, Zoas (new!) and fish..... and two fat cats

0 Not allowed!
    Acans have larger polyps than a Favites sp. and are generally much more expensive. If you don't mind me asking, what did you pay for that coral?

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Acans have larger polyps than a Favites sp. and are generally much more expensive. If you don't mind me asking, what did you pay for that coral?
    $250... I know, shouldn't have spent so much on a coral for a young tank.

0 Not allowed!
    That would be consistent for an Acan with that coloration... but I still don't believe it's an Acan. Maybe you can get a better shot of it under normal light.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    That would be consistent for an Acan with that coloration... but I still don't believe it's an Acan. Maybe you can get a better shot of it under normal light.
    I'll take another shot of it tonight, but be prepared to see some damaged goods...

In other news, caught one of my peppermint shrimp eating my mushrooms last night when I happened to walk past the tank (these are bulls eye mushrooms that came on the live rock, there was only one tiny one when I bought it but now there is a substantial colony). I was so mad! Pretty sure the pep is also responsible for eating my new red mushroom (which was tiny and inexpensive, but pretty).

The peppermint shrimp proved totally worthless in terms of my goal of having them eat my aiptasia (took care of that with Aiptasia X instead), so those little mushroom eaters are outta here. I looked up ways to trap them with a water bottle and bait, and will be doing that tonight. I'll bring them to my LFS... always looking for an excuse to go over there anyway.

0 Not allowed!
    Do you have a true peppermint? Because I know that if it's a camelback (often confused with peppers) it will chow on anything it can including shrooms

Mine nipped my leather once and I caught them with the waterbottle and pvc going in so they couldn't get out... they aren't the brightest of all critters haha
    55g Long --> After 18mo of doing well the tank crashed during moving. Most likely cause: Flatworm Die-off... won't start another until after moving... Likely not until late 2013

20g Long --> currently concoting a build plan

Check out the journal to follow my 20g SW tank

"Take a chance, because you never know how perfect some things can turn out" -- unknown

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast