Thread: HELP! goldfish got attacked!
02-22-2012, 11:37 PM #1Junior Member Guppy
- Join Date
- Feb 2012
HELP! goldfish got attacked!
Okay Sooo my poor new fish I just got him yesterday got his finns nipped badly like i would post a pic but i have no way to atm.. So ill just say its bad. However his body is fine and he seems like hes perfectly fine and healthy.. its just every fin on his body got attacked. The spine is still intact on all fins.. How it happened : blue botia attacked in 56 gallon tank ..I know you should not have Goldfish in a tropical tank It was only temporary he was only in there ONE HOUR! UGHHH.. Hes going into a large one very soon! hes a black moor Goldfish and he is huge! probably 5 inches. ANYWAYS i dont care about that I just need to know how to get him better i learned my lesson i feel so bad! :( :( i really thought my loach would be okay with him.. oh well.
what i have done so far:
Moved him to a CYCLED 10 gallon ISO tank becuase thats the only place i can put him atm
added AQUARIUM salt like 10 min after i noticed. I tested the water first cuz i know it has to be perfect so here is the results
nitrate- between5-10ppm < it says 40ppm is in the safe range but im aiming for 0 it barely turned pink...
ph-7.4ish < its just hard to be exact i kno its 7 something cuz i have hard water.
TEMP- is like 77 should i turn it down??? or keep it a bit warmer i know they dont need a heater but i thought it might help
then i went to bed
woke up today went to work bought melafix
came home just added 5ml for 10 gallons to his tank ( I should tell you i put a bubbler in there too to give him more oxygen! )
it says to treat the tank with 5mls for 7 days then do a 25% h2o change so this is day one.
i added 2 tps of salt yesterday too.
and i took the carbon outta the filter too.
UGH okay i really hope he heals
1. Is what im doing right??? what can i do better besides movin him to a big tank like he just fits in it he has room to swim just fine atm i will move once the tank is set up but that will not be for a few weeks.
2. should i do a h20 change now? becuase i have a small amount of nitrate? or wait the 7 days like it says?
3. how fast can they grow back? and will they be the same colour?
4. I use PRIME for my water it says to use 5 times normal dose if i have high nirate? is this a good idea atm?
5. any thing else?? AHHH please help i feel so bad he seems not hurt tho and i fed him pellets and flakes and some bloodworms already! but his fins are destroyed! i hope they dont get infected! :(:(:(
p.s the brand of strips is JUNGLE
02-22-2012, 11:46 PM #2
You are doing everything correct. Keep his water pristine and get him into that larger, hopefully cycled, tank as soon as you can. The nitrates are fine so no need to use the larger dose of PRIME. Do keep an eye on them though, since that fish is too large for a 10g and so is his bio-load. As long as there is still some of the fin they should grow back, just keep his water as clean as you can.If it's called tourist season why can't I shoot them?
Everything happens for a reason. Sometimes that reason is you are stupid and make bad decisions.
I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
A moderator on a fish forum should be able to identify an oscar... Don't you think?