· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Hybrid View

1. Default Thinking about trying Tangs

0 Not allowed!
    I have a 55g sitting around doing nothing at the moment. This summer I plan on moving some things around in the basement so that I can get it set up. I had originally thought about doing another planted tanks with Rams, but my water is so hard and alkaline I would have to use a lot of RO to do Rams justice. So, I decided to give Tanganyikans a shot. I have done Malawis in they past, and they absolutely loved my tap water, so I figured this should work.

I'm looking for stocking ideas at this point. It's a standard 4 foot 55g. Here is what I'm thinking:

1 Altolamprologus Calvus
    1 Julidochromis - Open to suggestions on which specie
    1 Neolamprologus leleupi
    2 M/ 6F Paracyprichromis nigripinnis ????
    6 Dwarf petricolas

I would be running 1 cannister filter (probably eheim 2215) and 1 AC110.

OK, that is my initial thought but again I have no prior experience with Tangs. Dig in and tell me where I've screwed up!

125g - 6 Zig Zag Rainbows, 6 Turquoise Rainbows, 6 Boesmani Rainbows, 5 otos, 6 corys

Awards Showcase

Wishing You the Very Best for the New Year!!! - Jill Happy New year - Celtic Fins Happy new year! - Brookfish happy new year! - The Red Severum All Sailors love coffee - jbeining75 
    Sailor - Brookfish cheers bud! - Crispy Happy Birthday bud! - Brookfish thanks for the rep! - Lab_Rat congrats on motm - Lab_Rat 
    Thanks for the rep - Cliff Thanks for the nomination - Cliff Merry X-mass, and thanks for all of your help this past year, both here and at the store - Cliff No Message - cer Thanks for the rep - Cliff 
    thanks for the betta :D - Cyberra Happy Birthday - KingFisher thanks for the rep:) Zebra pleco for you! - Northerly Merry Christmas - Cliff Just a Thanks! - Plecos 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - sailor Autism - sailor 

0 Not allowed!
    Except for the big frontosa's, Altolamprologus calvus (I like the Congo black fins)
    and Altolamprologus compressiceps (I like the gold heads) are my fave tangs.
    They like lots of nooks and crannies in the aquarium, They are a slow growing species so be patient. They prefer on frozen mysis shrimp, krill and brine shrimp but will also do well on a good quality flake or pellet. They require shells in the tank for spawning purposes. I would go with a total of 4.
    You could also have in the mix 4 Julidochromis sp. "Kissi" (Pemba)
    they are a substrate spawner who like caves their diet is basically the same as calvus and comps.
    That would pretty much cover the bottom portion of the tank.
    For the top I would go for a school of 8 Cyprichromis leptosoma, just stay away from the jumbo varieties. They are an open water swimmer, Tho they do like to sometimes hang around broad leaf plants, They are a mouth brooder. A diet of good quality small pellets with frozen treats will keep them colored up.
    Last edited by Lady Hobbs; 02-22-2012 at 05:48 PM.
    Sailor

Aye Aye

Awards Showcase

Have a martini on me fellow western marylander - jbeining75 thank you so much my puffer and i are very happy - Angila Heres one! :D - Wild Turkey nice plecos - KingFisher For all your advice  thanks - Celtic Fins 
    for your kind comments. - Celtic Fins Merry Christmas - Northernguy Awesome help with my loaches - R2 Ranch Seasons Greetings. Have a great Christmas - Celtic Fins Wishing You A Happy New Year!!! - Jill 
    Happy New year - Celtic Fins May the Anti troll force be with you. - Celtic Fins 2001 posts! - Northernguy For your helpful fry advice - Cliff Its not a featherfin but thanks for the info!lol - Northernguy 
    Merry Christmas!!!!  :) - Ellen4God 

0 Not allowed!
    I'd start with a group of Julies and keep a pair or two. J. transcriptus Bemba are the smallest and least troublesome of the clan, the Gombe variant are also small but a bit nastier.

^^^^Please click the eggs/dragons, thanks.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for the replies so far! Keep those ideas coming.

One thing I should mention: I am not interested in breeding anything. The last time I did Malawis they bred like rabbits. I was up to neck in fry and grow out tanks in no time. Really not interested in going through that again.

Can the Calvus and Julies be kept as individuals, or do the need a group? I know the Cyps and Paracyps are schooling fish and should be kept in a group. I'm hoping the Calvus and the cats can clean up the fry.
    125g - 6 Zig Zag Rainbows, 6 Turquoise Rainbows, 6 Boesmani Rainbows, 5 otos, 6 corys

Awards Showcase

Wishing You the Very Best for the New Year!!! - Jill Happy New year - Celtic Fins Happy new year! - Brookfish happy new year! - The Red Severum All Sailors love coffee - jbeining75 
    Sailor - Brookfish cheers bud! - Crispy Happy Birthday bud! - Brookfish thanks for the rep! - Lab_Rat congrats on motm - Lab_Rat 
    Thanks for the rep - Cliff Thanks for the nomination - Cliff Merry X-mass, and thanks for all of your help this past year, both here and at the store - Cliff No Message - cer Thanks for the rep - Cliff 
    thanks for the betta :D - Cyberra Happy Birthday - KingFisher thanks for the rep:) Zebra pleco for you! - Northerly Merry Christmas - Cliff Just a Thanks! - Plecos 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - sailor Autism - sailor 

0 Not allowed!
    Yes they can be kept as individuals tho like any fish would be happier with others of their own species.
    Sailor

Aye Aye

Awards Showcase

Why thank-you - Cliff The grammar crab has you in its grasp! D: - Trillianne Thanks for the clarification - Mith A few clown for the fellow SW clowns. :D - ILuvMyGoldBarb sorry about your angelfish - smaug 
    Many cultures donw through the ages have known that Ice cream is the perfect band-aid for all occasions. ~  Sorry for your loss. - 850R Here's some Christmass Cheer, Happy Holidays Sheamurai - Cliff merry xmas, keep good care of him - genocidex Beer! The perfect gift for any occasion - Merry Chrismas! - 850R I'm glad your here and a active forum member - Cliff 
    penguin for a friend XD - genocidex Thanks for the help with that spammer !!! - Cliff Thank you for the kind words - Cliff Merry Christmas - Cliff To help you re-stock the tank - Cliff 
    Discus and Beer! - Sandz To Discus Days!!! - JudiJetson For very clear advice! - houdini56 Happy Holidays! - Rue Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 

0 Not allowed!
    Nobody has spoken for them yet, but I kept a few leleupi's and I really just adored them. If I kept a tang tank I'd definitely have a small school of them, they are such entertaining swimmers and I also liked the colour of them, yellow to rust...
    20gal long planted community