· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Maybe he'll eat some of those snail eggs! - Slaphppy7   

Default Dorsal Fin Problem

0 Not allowed!
    I have a 2 year old veiltail who was just put into a new tank about a week ago. I had been forced to keep him in with my tropicals, but I lucked into a 20 gallon for him to himself. The tank isn't completely cycled yet, but I'm doing roughly 25% daily water changes and the ammonia level hasn't gotten above 1.0 sofar. I've been feeding him very lightly since the tank isn't cycled yet. The tank has been running between 68 & 70 - no heater in the tank, just room temp.

Yesterday, I noticed that he had a red "smudge" on his dorsal fin. With the fin folded up, it looks like a red smudge, but with the fin held high and proud it looks like the reddish color is only on the spines. Kind of like closing a paper fan and wiping red paint across it - when the fan opens, the red is just on the spines of the fan. Not sure I'm making sense (my camera is busted so I can't post a pic - sorry!) Also, the area around this red smudge is whitish. It's not cottony or raised or anything that I can tell, so I don't think it's any kind of fungus - it just looks like he lost the pigment in it and the fin is whitish in that area. He does have some whitish streaking throughout his fins and I really can't tell if the area is actually whiter now or if it just looks whitish because of the red smudge. He has a similar, but much smaller, smudge of red at the shorter end of his dorsal fin, closer to his body. The larger smudge is at the forward, higher part of the fin. The larger one is an area around the size of a dime - if that. The smaller one is a quarter that size. And again, it's not a big red spot, it's an irregular "smudge" just on the spines of the fin. He's about 6 inches, nose to end of his caudal fins.

He's eating and acting and swimming fine. It's just the sudden appearance of this reddish area with the white area around it. It doesn't appear to be a wound of any kind and his fins are perfectly healthy looking other than this. Could he just be developing more intense coloring because he's in a proper tank of his own now, at a better temp for him? Or am I engaging in some wishful thinking?!

Lisa

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I'm answering my own thread just as an update.

I still don't know what the heck that red was, but the white got steadily worse until it was obvious there was a coating of something on that fin. I've been doing larger than usual (about 30-40% as opposed to 20-25%) water changes daily. I noticed on Monday that the reddish smudge was completely gone and the white area was much less "thick" if that makes any sense. Today, I'd say it's 98% gone - if you didn't know it was there, you might not notice the residual patch that's still a bit milky looking. I also started dosing the tank with Pimafix yesterday.

Sashimi has a little buddy in the tank with him (a 1.5" fantail my grandniece named Nemo) and I noticed that the base of his anal and pelvic fins are dark orangey reddish and when the light hits him right, you can see some whitish, milky streaks along his body - they seem to travel along his lateral line and converge in a patch on the top of his head. Again, I'm doing large water changes daily and will keep dosing with the Pimafix. Also, Nemo always held his dorsal fin high and erect, but since this reddish color and white streaking hit, his dorsal fin has stayed closed and close to his body. Don't know if that means anything.

I have no idea what this is, but the water changes and now the Pimafix seem to be working, so I'm going to keep it up. Anything else I can do? I'd hate to lose the little guy. Thanks in advance.

Lisa

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

for the patience - Lady Hobbs   and a mate - Lady Hobbs   Seems fitting that you should recive the first one - William   I love Goldfish! - Xavier   something for the fish to snack on - korith   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Xavier   

0 Not allowed!
    Sounds like a reaction to poor water quality, probably due to the tanked not being completely cycled. The ammonia and nitrite in the water is making them shed slim coat, which is the white stuff, and the red sores are a mild infection. Clean water will fix both without pimafix. Salt at 0.3% would be better, but it will slow down the cycle. Keep up the water changes and don't over treat. Observe, and if it continues to get better, than all is well. If they start hanging out at the top of the tank lethargically, change 95% of the water.
    I groom ranchus. That is all.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Member of the month, a toast is in order. - Strider199   Sorry about your blood parrot :-( - ~firefly~   For this; http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=111325 - Strider199   :-) - ~firefly~   Happy mother's day! Enjoy one on me LOL - imma24   
    Childhood Cancer - hobbs   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - hobbs   Myasthenia Gravis - Ovarian Cancer - Sexual Assault - Substance Abuse - Lady Hobbs   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Lady Hobbs   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Lady Hobbs   

0 Not allowed!
    You should have cycled the tank before putting him in there but you can not let ammonia levels get to 1. You should be doing water changes somewhere between .25-.50 with .50 the max.

If you have some filter media in the other tank, you can seed the filter in that 20 gallon for him to help cycle that one, as well. The red color you are seeing is probably ammonia burns.

If you can not take some media from the other tank, then at least get some bacteria booster like Seachem Stability or Tetra SafeStart to try to help him survive. It will help at least convert the ammonia to a less toxic form.

What are the nitrites?
    Last edited by Lady Hobbs; 02-29-2012 at 07:38 PM.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Well, he had already gobbled 4 zebra's and a neon tetra so I wanted to get him out of the tropical tank asap. I had a rock and some plastic plants from the old tank, so I thought that might help seed the bacterial filter.

The ammonia level has been down to .50 from 1.0 the last two days. The kit I have only gives ammonia levels. It reads "Ammonia" then has (NH3/NH+4) after and lists the ppm with the proper color. I want to get the API test kit that tests for everything, but I'll have to save up for it. Right now I only have that ammonia test and one for Ph (which is 7).

I did buy some aquarium salt and was thinking of preparing a dunk for him, but I don't like fussing about with "treatments" until I have no choice. I've always used water changes so I'll step up those.

This is my first time using the Pimafix - is it worth it to keep dosing the tank with it?

Lisa

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Welcome back! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    You have got to change more than 25% at a time (and probably daily) to get that ammonia down to .25ppm - do not be concerned with your pH because it won't stay stable while the tank is cycling.

Very often clean water is the best thing to do for a fish if they are stressed out during cycling.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Before this issue I had been changing 25% every day, but am up to 50% every day the last 2 days and will continue changing 50% daily.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

couldn't find a betta so will send a ram - Lady Hobbs   but it needs a mate - Lady Hobbs   For sharing awesome cory advice! - WoadCelt   Welcome to AC - KingFisher   resident betta expert - Aeonflame   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Zim
    Sashimi has a little buddy in the tank with him (a 1.5" fantail my grandniece named Nemo) and I noticed that the base of his anal and pelvic fins are dark orangey reddish and when the light hits him right, you can see some whitish, milky streaks along his body - they seem to travel along his lateral line and converge in a patch on the top of his head.
    Goldfish and bettas are not good tankmates. First of all, the goldfish needs 20g to himself (they're messy fish that get quite large) and secondly, the Betta requires a heater while the goldfish does not.

If the tank isn't heated, I wouldn't expect the betta to recover.
    "The Dumpster Tank" 26g flat back hex - Bolivian rams, Checker barbs, Harlequin and porkchop rasbora, neon tetra, SAE, otocinclus

"Mini Mbuna" 20g long - 1 M. pulpican, 1 M. joanjohnsonae

"Electric Blue Acara Tank" 75g - Giant danio, tiger barb, Bristlenose pleco

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

You needed one! - korith   For being a fish aphrodisiac... - Scrup   for all your trouble with your mother ... - mermaidwannabe   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by nikelodeon79
    Goldfish and bettas are not good tankmates. First of all, the goldfish needs 20g to himself (they're messy fish that get quite large) and secondly, the Betta requires a heater while the goldfish does not.

If the tank isn't heated, I wouldn't expect the betta to recover.
    I think they meant veiltail goldfish nickelodeon.
    10gal Betta Tank - Skye the crowntail and Squiggles the deformed albino cory
    10gal Tank- Glofish
    75gal- Everything

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

couldn't find a betta so will send a ram - Lady Hobbs   but it needs a mate - Lady Hobbs   For sharing awesome cory advice! - WoadCelt   Welcome to AC - KingFisher   resident betta expert - Aeonflame   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by ekfishlover2011
    I think they meant veiltail goldfish nickelodeon.
    LOL! Can you tell I always have betta on the brain? That'll teach me to just search for new threads and not pay attention to what forum they're in!

In that case, though... 20g really isn't large enough for two golds.
    "The Dumpster Tank" 26g flat back hex - Bolivian rams, Checker barbs, Harlequin and porkchop rasbora, neon tetra, SAE, otocinclus

"Mini Mbuna" 20g long - 1 M. pulpican, 1 M. joanjohnsonae

"Electric Blue Acara Tank" 75g - Giant danio, tiger barb, Bristlenose pleco