· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Confused where I am in my 15g fish-in cycle.

0 Not allowed!
    Hello all.

I've had this tank up and running for about 2 and a half weeks I believe, it currently has 3 Silver Hatchets and an African Dwarf Frog, all added at once around 6-9 days ago. Not quite sure of the exact date. :P

My ammonia has been fluctuating between .25 and .50, every time it tests at .50 I do a 25-30% WC and it goes back to .25 for 1-2 days. (I don't test again until several hours after the WC)

My Nitrite is between 1-2 ppm. I really can't tell the difference in the shades of purple on this API test even in good light.

My Nitrate is at 5.0 PPM.

Are these these good levels?

Also, today I replaced the carbon insert in my aquaclear 50 with a second bag of bio balls. I put the ones that have been in use since the beginning in the middle above the sponge, and the new ones on the top. Would you guys recommend I stick with the multiple bio-balls or should I go with 2 sponges? I have a few packs of each.
    Last edited by jsat420; 02-20-2012 at 11:59 PM.
    If I think I'm gonna have a bad time, I've got a little bit of smoke and a whole lotta wine.

0 Not allowed!
    I prefer lots of sponges. But your cycle seems to be doing what it should be doing. Ammonia is converting to rites and from rites to rates just as it should. Probably a bit tough on the frog tho since he's stuck on the bottom of the tank.

I would mess with the tank as little as possible since you're so near to being finished.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Alright, so for the past week my levels have steadily been: .25 ammonia, .25 nitrate, and 5.0 nitrate. Am I cycled up or should I give it another couple of weeks just to make sure?

All of my hatchets + my frog are still alive, two of the hatchets seem to have inflamed gils, but seem to be doing alright otherwise. My frog still hides ALL the time and rarely eats.

Any tips on clearing up the water? It's pretty... Hazy... I guess would be the most appropriate term. Clear, but there is for sure a cloudiness that is noticable on the top half but not really on the bottom. I find it kind of strange it's getting cloudier with time because there were days earlier on where it was nearly crystal clear. :P I have slowed down on the water changes, been averaging 2-3 a week instead of daily or every other day.

(edited for spelling error :P )
    Last edited by jsat420; 03-10-2012 at 11:54 PM.
    If I think I'm gonna have a bad time, I've got a little bit of smoke and a whole lotta wine.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by jsat420
    Alright, so for the past week my levels have steadily been: .25 ammonia, .25 nitrate, and 5.0 nitrate. Am I cycled up or should I give it another couple of weeks just to make sure?

All of my hatchets + my frog are still alive, two of the hatchets seem to have inflamed gils, but seem to be doing alright otherwise. My frog still hides ALL the time and rarely eats.

Any tips on clearing up the water? It's pretty... Hazy... I guess would be the most appropriate term. Clear, but there is for sure a cloudiness that is noticable on the top half but not really on the bottom. I find it kind of strange it's getting cloudier with time because there were days earlier on where it was nearly crystal clear. :P I have slowed down on the water changes, been averaging 2-3 a week instead of daily or every other day.

(edited for spelling error :P )
    I am assuming one of your nitrAte readings is really for nitrItes? Which one is it? As long as you have a reading for nitrItes and your ammonia isn't 0 yet, your tank isn't cycled yet
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, green corys, 1 guppy, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT with green corys & 2 guppies

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Alright, I've been all cycled up for a while now, with my Nitrates lingering around 40.

Made three additions since finishing, two additional Hatchets and one new Dwarf Frog.

I fear my frogs may have mated on me, within their first week of being together. does anyone have any info on their eggs? There is a thick line of white bubbles all along the right side of my tank that was not there yesterday, I first noticed them singing on the 2nd day I the 2nd frog was in, I don't see what it could be besides eggs.

I've read that they will cannibilize their own eggs / or young if they do hatch, which works for me... I assume my hatchets would eat them too.

I don't really have the time or interest in trying to raise them at the moment, so I'm hoping it'll solve itself, but I'd love some clarification on what their eggs look like

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Any tips on clearing up the water? It's pretty... Hazy... I guess would be the most appropriate term. Clear, but there is for sure a cloudiness that is noticable on the top half but not really on the bottom. I find it kind of strange it's getting cloudier with time because there were days earlier on where it was nearly crystal clear.
    Didn't you take your carbon out? That's probably why, since its the carbon's job to keep the water clear. Though sometimes the water can get a bit white-hazy if there's ammonia.

Edit: Sorry i just realized that post about your water being hazy was from a month ago. My bad.

0 Not allowed!
    Alright, I've been all cycled up for a while now, with my Nitrates lingering around 40.

Made three additions since finishing, two additional Hatchets and one new Dwarf Frog.

I fear my frogs may have mated on me, within their first week of being together. does anyone have any info on their eggs? There is a thick line of white bubbles all along the right side of my tank that was not there yesterday, I first noticed them singing on the 2nd day I the 2nd frog was in, I don't see what it could be besides eggs.

I've read that they will cannibilize their own eggs / or young if they do hatch, which works for me... I assume my hatchets would eat them too.

I don't really have the time or interest in trying to raise them at the moment, so I'm hoping it'll solve itself, but I'd love some clarification on what their eggs look like
    Sorry, I can't answer your question on the frog eggs, but I would advise you to get those nitrates down to 20ppm or below with a large water change (or 2 if needed) - nitrates can harm your inhabitants also.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, green corys, 1 guppy, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT with green corys & 2 guppies

8. Default

0 Not allowed!

nitrates are too high, keep them under 20 is a good goal. im sure if you googled about the frog eggs you would find plenty on pictures or information.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Alright, went ahead and did a 50% WC earlier tonight. I'll test when I wake up tomorrow, hopefully it lowered the nitrates. Pretty sure I got all of eggs as well.:)

Any suggestions for plants that can float at the surface and don't require powerful lighting??
    Last edited by jsat420; 04-23-2012 at 08:44 AM.

0 Not allowed!
    You will soon be having a problem with your tank if you add anymore stock to it. Between another frog, eggs that may or may not rot in the bottom of the tank and the hatchets. Make sure you are simply rinsing out your filter in tank water you will be throwing out and do not replace it with new stuff or there goes your cycle. You need to keep up with those water changes weekly so you aren't getting those high nitrates.

Lots of the floating plants should work for you.