· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Sorry to hear about your loss. I suppose that is posible. Maybe try to feed less?? My fish get fasted for a couple of days in a row every weekend without problem.
    Lots of tanks. Some tanks are planted. Fish include community and bettas.
    2 Dachshunds. Angel (Red) and Cookie (Chocolate Dapple).
    Shiny Things and Beauty the rabbits.
    RIP Princess and Max the Dachshunds, Tiger and Ping Pong the rabbits, and all the fishes from when I was a newbie.
    It is Ldoerr NOT Idoerr.
    Black kitten named Midnight that was found 10/29/12

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    yea i fast once a week. Thursdays they always get fasted, because fridays are water changes and i want them to poop out all rest of poop before then, lol. My mom's tank is now parasite-free, and she got 30 babies, so im taking one of hers to replace my Penny. I dont know how to make the mollies not gorge on the algae wafers though... I feed them one small pinch of flakes once daily (except fasting day), and i only ever drop in two algae pellets on mon, wed, and friday, and like 6-10 shrimp pellets sun, tues, saturday. Those bottom feeder things always feed the loaches, the pleco, the shrimps, and Petri. But the mollies always eat the flakes and the bottom feeder food. I cant just stop feeding my bottom feeders, and i cant stop feeding flakes to the other fish, so thats why i have no idea how to avoid ever having this problem again. As of now though nobody's really bloated, so i think they are eating little enough for now. :)
    10gal Betta Tank - Skye the crowntail and Squiggles the deformed albino cory
    10gal Tank- Glofish
    75gal- Everything

3. Lightbulb Long time no update!

0 Not allowed!
    Sorry for the long post then as i catch up. Fast forward to end of post for pictures of new fish. I lost my smashed faced black neon that ive had for years, 1 bloodfin, another black neon, and Penny's sister the ever hard to photograph Perdita. I got two new female mollies from those 30 i spoke of from my mom, and i gave her the pure white female Lucky, who then had 2 babies of which i have one male of those growing up in crab tank to experiment on theory that they live better in brackish.

That was like a month ago. Then this week i lost two fish in one day, my guppy Flash who ive had since june of last year, and my male gourami Kai that ive had since March of last year. Kai never was a bright colored gourami. Maybe he was never optimal health. Checked params since it was suspicious to lose two at once and they were all good, 0amm, 0trites, im guessing around 15trates, 7.6pH (lowest ive ever had).

Now i have two new tankmates waiting in my QT tank! Yesterday i scooped my new male gourami, Kale, into a small fishbowl and allowed him to sit in the bowl and float around main tank to meet the girls safely before i returned him to the QT again. Hes a neon blue, extremely bright too! And when he saw Mahina, the dwarf female, he had a super dark bright blue strip on his belly (like with the black one that appears on mating male honey dwarfs) and flared up huge. Does that mean he really likes her or can that also mean he really doesnt? He had a fearful reaction to the golden gourami and cowered and panicked when she swam past, but she paid him no mind. Maybe it was just because shes huge and tough looking? Heres his beauty shot when he was in bowl before he got the stripe:

And next to Mahina that night before i took him back out after stripe went away again:

The other new fish is my awesome upside down catfish that i held off buying for quite some time before i finally caved this time. I named him Sid, because i heard Synodontis nigriventris and my brain said "Sydnodontis" because it cant pronounce scientific names, and then i said Sid for short. Plus hes adorable like Sid the sloth. He likes to be antigravity and sit on the filter box in the QT all day long upside down. Til you try to get a picture, and then he wants to run around in circles and frustrate you...
    10gal Tank- Glofish
    75gal- Everything

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Well, Kale and Sid are now with the others in the main tank. Kale and Makani (the giant gold gourami) werent being very friendly at first, but now he learned to stand up to her. Thats what the problem was, he was so scared of her that when she came near he started to freak out and then she would smell his fear and start chasing him and nipping his tail. Now he finally stood up to her, flared up real big, and gave her a look that said "Hey lady, this is MY tank too, so BACK OFF!!!" And she did. :) Now he is full color again and always out and about playing with the others and sitting in the gourami clump with Makani and Mahina both being nice to him.

It appears that Sid really likes the playful mollies, and he is suddenly a very playful little guy as well. :) He is non-stop swimmin up and down and around playing tag with the mollies. In the QT all he wanted to do was hide in his log 24-7. We were worried that we would throw him in main tank and never see him again as he ran into the ship or the other logs. But he has stayed out all day so far, and my grandma finally got to see him swim upside down. :)
    10gal Tank- Glofish
    75gal- Everything

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    What an adventure! I noticed on monday my Tetra40 had went kaput, and had to run around trying to find a new one that took same stuff. I had a "dead spot" or whatever its called in half of my tank due to the AC110 being on one side and nothing on the other. Lost a few bloodfins, not sure if that had anything to do with the lack of water movement on that side or not. They werent bloated or anything, just dead, one after another. Wednesday i found what i was looking for though, so we are back on with that.

Apparently Petri the blind goldfish was affected by the water movement change. I dont know if it changes her "calculations" to have the filter going versus not, but she was runnning into everything those three days. She kept zooming to the top of the tank like once an hour or so and grabbing a gulp of air before rushing back down and spitting out bubbles galore. Again i think thats because of "dead spot" like with the bloodfins, because my params were still 0, 0, 30. I expect the higher nitrates was because of the less filtration. Im due for a water change today anyway. She now has a huge scab on her one eye from ramming into something. She hit the thermometer off of the glass, ripped a plastic plant that i thought wasnt removable off of my ship, and spun my giant stick.

Since the bloodfins have been dying on me so badly (down to 3 pretty ones and one deformed one that had gotten pineconed at one time and i QTed him and he ended up getting deformed by the time he healed again) and theyve have been fighting again, ive decided that my new favorite tetra is the black neons. I currently only have 4 of them, but i just bought 3 that are now in QT with ich (my petsmart sucks) and when they are better i will have 7. :) They are much friendlier and dont fight and stay somewhat close to eachother making them easy to count. When Petri dies i will buy probably 5-7 more black neons.
    10gal Tank- Glofish
    75gal- Everything

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Im giving up on all those tetras. The ones with ich never made it out of QT because some overdosing accident or something happened while i was away for the weekend and wiped out that whole tank. Still have 4 and 4 now, and once they are gone ill just do my mollies and catfish and pleco and gouramis in that tank after goldfish passes if she ever does.

Speaking of Petri she messed up her eye real bad. Its been two weeks now since she poked it really bad and there is still some blood in her eye. She doesnt seem affected by it anymore though, so it must not hurt. She isnt hiding and she acts like she did before. Im not concerned with it.

I did a 50% water change yesterday. Keep in mind i can only use my python one way - out, and 50% of 75gals is 37.5gal... It took quite some time to fill it back up with my two little tea gallon jugs. I did such a huge water change because winter is coming and due to bad water pressure or something i am unable to use python in the house and must hook up to hose outside. Cant use hose in winter without my grandma killing me, so that means all winter i have to do small 10% water changes with my little siphon i use for the 10gals. Since the water changes will be so small all winter i did a giant one now to prepare for it.
    10gal Tank- Glofish
    75gal- Everything

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Apparently Mahina did NOT want to mate with Kale. The time was right, Kale darkened up his colors to show her his beauty, he made his move, and they got into an epic bloody battle and she did something to him that made him within two hours puff up into the most bloated gourami i have ever seen in my life, and then he died in another 10 minutes after that. :( Gosh, she couldnt have just said no to him?! She didnt have to attack!

Shes pretty beat up too. She has gashes all over her left side, on her back, shes missing one of her antennae, barely has any pectoral fins left, and there's a bit of damage on her tail and dorsal fin as well. Other than that she seems perfectly fine.

Makani however has proved her title of the PeaceMaker. From her injury it looks like she got in the middle of the battle and tried to save poor Kale from his doom. She always blocks attacking fish with her giant intimidating body, and fights usually stop right there and the fish leave eachother alone. In this case it looks like she blocked it, the attacking fish kept going anyway and ripped into her side, and then realized what they had done and ran for dear life for injuring the big bad queen of tank. The fight was long over when i looked in tank and separated and tried to save the injured Kale, this is all just my guess of what happened from what i saw when i investigated other fish.
    10gal Tank- Glofish
    75gal- Everything

8. Default

0 Not allowed!

Here's the evil little instigator 24hrs after the fight. Ruined fins, gashes in her back and side and i now noticed some under her belly on the other side also.

Apparently The PeaceMaker is a superhero with healing abilities, because i can barely even see the bite in this picture, and its not that much more noticeable in person either. She is completely unphased and just continues on with everything anyway. She does seem sad that i took away all her friends though. I feel for her, i know how saddening it can be to break up a fight between two friends and then lose them both. She'll get them back though soon. :) I guess if i get a new male while Mahina is still QT'd for healing, he would get a chance to assert himself so this doesnt happen again. Makani seems to like the males better, she loves her little dwarf friends.
    10gal Tank- Glofish
    75gal- Everything

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Both surviving gouramis look like they will be fine. Mahina is going to have to stay separated for several weeks until her fins grow back, but other than that they will both survive. My grandma doesnt want to get a new male. So we will just stick with these two and her only fish is the lone bleeding heart now. Im so proud of Makani for trying to break up the fight. She's so unlike the typical three spot gourami, it amazes me. :)
    10gal Tank- Glofish
    75gal- Everything

Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast