Nitrites wont die in 10 days
My fish in cycle is near complete. Its been about 7/8 Weeks now. However for the past 7 days my nitrites have been super high. I've had constant readings of 3plus ppm every day. So I've done huge water changes every day at 80percent and still nothing had changed.what on earth is going on? I use prime to treat the the water and make sure I test after the 24hours. My ammonia is at zero. all other levels are fine. My nitrates are also on the rise at 10pp. What more can I do to drop these stupid nitrites. Its beyond frustrating.
Any ideas on what is causing this?
How much ammonia are you adding each day? You apparently have all your ammonia eating bacteria but the nitrite eating bacteria has slowed down.
If you have stopped adding ammonia, then your ammonia eating bacteria will began to die out without "feeding" it ammonia each day.
I have a hunch that you have a small filter that didn't have much growing room from the ammonia you were adding in the beginning. You can only grow just so much bacteria in a tiny area in the filter. I would do no more water changes since you've already done numerous ones, add just a few drops of ammonia each day and those nitrites will come down. They've only been high for one week and that's about normal for nitrites to grow their bacteria, spike and then drop.
I've never had a cycle take more than 2.5 weeks in any tank. Overdosing with ammonia is the biggest cause of cycle failure. Turn your heater up to 82. Bacteria loves heat.
Last edited by Lady Hobbs; 02-20-2012 at 02:34 PM.
Thanks for the prompt response,
but should I add ammonia even though there is fish in the tank that already produce ammonia?
I have 2 HOB Marine Land Penguin 200 filters-combined they are rated for 100gal tank and 400gal/hr filtration.
I have 2 swordtails and 6 silver tip tetras in the tank right now. its a 40gal breeder.
So i should stop with the water changes? I dont want to have high nitrites and risk killing my fish.
I believe Lady Hobbs thought you were doing a fishless cycle. Do Not add amonia with fish in the tank. Sounds like you need to keep doing what you are doing and be patient. Nitrites are toxic to fish, so you will have to keep doing the water changes until your bacteria can handle them without your help.
125g - 6 Zig Zag Rainbows, 6 Turquoise Rainbows, 6 Boesmani Rainbows, 5 otos, 6 corys
No, do not stop doing water changes, in fact, do MORE and LARGER water changes to bring down the nitrite levels below 0.5ppm.
and yes, I also though from the first post that you're doing a fishless cycle, so LH might have been confused as well. Do not put any ammonia when cycling with fish.
What is the temp in your tank? Plus what test kit are you using? Strips or liquid? I suggest using liquid test kit for more accurate readings.
Plus, cycling with fish takes longer as 2-3 months, maybe even more, so just hang in there and be patient.
Da name's Paul. Not Dave. ROFL
Learn to give and take. That's how things should always work.
I test the water using the Liquid API master test kit thing. lol
The temperature of my tank reads at 79deg F
The sad part is I can't change the water more than once a day due to being gone for work. It is just frustrating that its been a week of 80% water changes and nothing seems to help. It get cranky also because I have to haul that 35 gallons of water up and down a set of stairs. lol, so that adds to my frustration-i just want this to finish so i can do weekly 25% water changes and have happy fish (happy fish=happy fish owner)
Oh gawd. I am so sorry. I thought you were doing fishless cycling.
Nitrites are toxic but not quite as toxic as ammonia. If you are using Prime, it is also helping keep it less toxic. I see no reason for so many water changes myself.
Uneaten food in the tank is also rotting causing higher nitrites. Have you checked for nitrites in your water supply? You have 6 fish in 40 gallons of water. You need not change so much water. I would frankly leave it alone and allow it to drop. Nitrite levels do NOT need to be less than .50. That applies to ammonia levels. Obviously not great for fish but no need to do 80% water changes constantly. I wouldn't worry about it unless it got perhaps over 2 myself.
Nothing is wrong with your filtering either.
I tested the water out of the tap with the liquid kit, and it is showing 0ppm.
After the water goes into the tank and is given an hour or so to settle, mix in. i test it again and it shows between 0-0.5ppm
I've cleaned the gravel about every other water change, and have fed the 8 fish once a day. Now doing two times a day with smaller amounts of food (to appease my girlfriend. )
The only reason I've changed it so much is because the liquid test kit is showing over 2ppm on the nitrites
Do I just let it sit and see what happens? or change it once every 4 days? or what will work best?
You are also growing bacteria in your gravel so I'd honestly do no cleaning at all until the tank is established. And even afterwards, for a couple of months, only lightly clean the gravel. Maybe half one water change and the other half the next.
2 nitrites would began to be worrisome but I wouldn't worry if it was less than 2. As I mentioned, you have Prime making it less toxic.
If you are really getting nervous and frustrated, how about getting some Agua SafeStart or Seachems Stability and use that. A bit of bacteria booster will for sure make it less toxic and might kick it in the rear to finish up.
Glad no nitrites are in your tap water. I was beginning wonder if you were adding them with the water changes. I honestly think any day now you will wake up to 0 nitrites. When it decides to drop, it goes very fast.
OOPS...8 fish. Guess I can't count today either.
That day will be a magical day when i get a test reading of zero
I will give it a day or two and if nothing changes, i'll run out and grab some of those things to try out.
Would having the recent bloom of algae in the tank have any effect on this?
I'll stop on cleaning the gravel, and no worries! its monday. i'm in the same boat :)