· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Looking good. Glad you were able to make the move without incident.
    125g - 6 Zig Zag Rainbows, 6 Turquoise Rainbows, 6 Boesmani Rainbows, 5 otos, 6 corys

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Me too! And I'm so excited to see some nitrates. DD has been so patient waiting for the cycle. We added our last fish a whole month ago which is a very, very long time for an 11 year old who feels like she waited 'forever' just to be able to have an aquarium.
    Accidental aquarist..... tending my daughter's tanks
    I take care of the water. She takes care of the fish.
    29g FW. Fish-in cycling started 1/8 in 10g, transferred to 29g 2/22. 3 Harlequin rasboras, 1 fancy guppy, 1 otocat.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Not a lot to report today. Everyone is, apparently, just settling in.

pH is stable.
    Am (which had been down to zero) is at 0.25ppm, just like yesterday.
    Nitrites are at 0.
    Nitrates are slightly up, at 5ppm.

Just hanging around letting the bacterial do their thing and monitoring things.
    29g FW. Fish-in cycling started 1/8 in 10g, transferred to 29g 2/22. 3 Harlequin rasboras, 1 fancy guppy, 1 otocat.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    same old, same old....

pH is stable.
    Am (which had been down to zero prior to scaling up to 29g) was up to 0.25 ppm and is now down low enough that I can't say it's 0.25 ppm but can't say it's 0 either.
    Nitrites are at 0. I've only seen one reading that was non-zero ever.
    Nitrates were between 0 and 5 ppm, then up to 5 ppm, and today are back to between 0 and 5. Is it possible for them to go down? Can they be sequestered (in the substrate or filter?)? If not, I'll just assume there is that much variability in the test from day to day. Not worrying about it since it's so far below 20ppm.

Still just hanging around letting the bacterial do their thing and monitoring things.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    3 days later and it's still pretty much the same thing.

pH stable. No nitrites at all. Am maybe 0.25, likely a tad less. Nitrates 5 tops, not 5 but closer to 5 than 0.

Cloudy cloudy cloudy but the fish seem fine.

I have to say I'm getting a bit bored with all this waiting. Even getting to the point where I'm testing every other day instead of every day.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    So frustrated. All the tests turn out the same every time. Stable pH, ammonia 0.25 and no higher, no nitrites, nitrates between 0 and 5.

And, still, we lost a guppy overnight. Not the fish I'd have expected to lose. We did a 50% PWC.

I am befuddled except to speculate that NO fish can last forever swimming around in 0.25ppm ammonia and it had been it pretty much for 6 weeks (periodic PWC).

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Did a big water change and saw the chemistry change. I just din't get it.

So today..... 24 hours after a big water change.....

PH, usually 7.4-7.6, was around 8. Am was 0.25 (the usual), nitrite was 0 (the usual), and nitrate was higher than I've ever seen - 10-20ppm.

Did another 50% water change. At least the big water changes are clearing up the cloudiness (which is at least partially due to algae since the water is greenish when I drain it).

I think I'm going to let DD get some more hardy fish. She's been so patient and doing this my way is not working.

0 Not allowed!
    Sorry you lost your guppy

How many fish do you have in the tank now? I understand that your daughter is getting more impatient but I don't think I would go out and buy more fish to put in the tank. It's really not fair to put the new fish through the suffering and possible death due to ammonia and nitrItes that are present during the cycling process.

I just think your daughter and your fish will be much happier when you are able to add them after your tank has finished cycling and they have a better chance of surviving.

Just my .02
    Last edited by kurly; 03-03-2012 at 03:56 PM.
    10 Gallon: Planted Red Cherry Shrimp
    65 Gallon: Planted South American Community
    30 Gallon: Planted Bolivian Ram Tank

Reduce The Stress....Cycle Fishless!