· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by guppiegirl
    I'm SOOOO glad that the hobby has moved beyond that!
    Actually, saving the bacteria has always been the same. People just did some thing wrong back then as they still do today. :)

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Stand is ordered. Fingers are crossed that we have a decent bacterial population for both conversions in the nitrogen cycle by the time it arrives (up to 7 working days) and an easy go of it establishing a cycle in the bigger tank.
    Accidental aquarist..... tending my daughter's tanks
    I take care of the water. She takes care of the fish.
    29g FW. Fish-in cycling started 1/8 in 10g, transferred to 29g 2/22. 3 Harlequin rasboras, 1 fancy guppy, 1 otocat.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Am/Nitrite/Nitrate all zero today. No water change for almost a week. All the fish are looking healthy. Thanks to advice from the AC community I think we are on the way!
    29g FW. Fish-in cycling started 1/8 in 10g, transferred to 29g 2/22. 3 Harlequin rasboras, 1 fancy guppy, 1 otocat.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Great news! Keep up the good work.
    125g - 6 Zig Zag Rainbows, 6 Turquoise Rainbows, 6 Boesmani Rainbows, 5 otos, 6 corys

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Am 0 (or maybe slightly greenish... not clearly greenish but not the same yellow as the 0 Nitrate)
    Nitrite and Nitrate 0

pH is higher than I've ever seen. I asked about that over in the cycling forum. I tested twice so I don't think it was a mistake.

Fish look healthy. The otocat is more active than I've seen him be since we brought him home.

I took the kids to the aquarium today. Funny to look at it from a different perspective now that we are keeping fish at home. We saw a pleco. It was h-u-g-e. We also saw otocats, rummynose tetras, marble hatchets... all teeny tiny just like in a home aquarium :-)

Stand will be here tomorrow. DD is SO excited about the prospect of moving everything over to the 29g.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    The stand arrived earlier this afternoon. Everyone and everything is moved over. DD was so nervous about moving the otocat to a new tank that she begged me to move all the old water too.... so I did. Hopefully that is a neutral to positive action! The old water sure is cloudy. Even diluted 3-fold to fill the new tank it's c-l-o-u-d-y.

The new heater is a dial with no numbers so I put it in at the default and I'm monitoring the temp to make sure it stays in the green zone. The goal is 78F.

I'm running 2 filters (aqueon HOBs - 1 at 100GPH, 1 at 125GPH). We don't have a sponge filter (or an airpump/airstone) yet so I figured I'd keep them both going until we are fully cycled and then I can think about whether I want to add airpump/airstone/sponge filter.

All the fish seem fine post-transfer. Rasboras are schooling. Guppy is hiding out in the plants (which is not something we noticed in the old tank). Otocat is suctioned to a wall.

I'll do all the water tests this evening after things settle down for a few hours.

She LOVES her fish so much. Makes the hassle of upgrading so soon worth it because she's going to be able to do so much more with a larger tank to work in/with.

0 Not allowed!
    The guppy is likely mildly shocked from the move. Is it your only guppy? Guppies are pretty social creatures, if the tank specs allow for it, there should be more than one. Don't go crazy, it will do fine with a pair, I find a pair of males worked fine for me for a long time and they were super happy.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Yes, it's the only guppy right now. In the 10g it spent a lot of time with the rasboras. We are going to add female guppies but the fish store didn't have any the day we bought the male.

0 Not allowed!
    Glad the transition went well and hope you both enjoy your bigger tank

Do you have any pics to share?
    Last edited by kurly; 02-23-2012 at 01:31 AM.
    10 Gallon: Planted Red Cherry Shrimp
    65 Gallon: Planted South American Community
    30 Gallon: Planted Bolivian Ram Tank

Reduce The Stress....Cycle Fishless!

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    OK... numbers are in. We must have stirred up a lot of gunk moving things around.

pH is back to normal (7.4-7.6)... I'd expect this diluting things out so much.

Am is back up to 0.25ppm. I'm guessing we suspended a lot of 'stuff' that was in the gravel.

Nitrites are at 0.

Nitrates are between 0 and 5ppm. This is the first I've seen any nitrates at all.

Temp held nice and steady at 78F. I'm glad I have such a good 'feel' for the temp out of the tap!

I took a few pics.

You can see the haziness here and the otocat suctioned to the back wall towards the right about 2/3 of the way up:

Here's what it looks like with the room lights off. You can see the mini-school of rasboras.