· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Default Hurry Up and Wait! Fishtending with a preteen :-)

0 Not allowed!
    My daughter has asked for fish for years. She's a budding zoologist and and as firmly committed to that goal as I imagine an 11 year old can be so last Christmas I gave her fish-loving aunt permission to give her an aquarium for Christmas. I knew nothing about fish and suggested a 5g tank. She knows a tad more ;-) and bought a 10g. Anyone want to guess what we now think of a 10g tank? LOL!

~~~~~~~~~~

Right now we have a 10g community FW tank mid-cycle (fish-in). It has 3 harlequin rasboras, 1 oto cat, and 1 fancy guppy.

Brief history:

1/4 Off we went to the LFS since the kit didn't come with a heater. Bought the heater.... which cost as much as the entire kit. Gulp. I knew I'd be putting more money into the hobby but little did I know how quickly it would add up! We were told to let the filter/heater run for a few days and come back for our first fish. Of the list my daughter made, he thought harlequin rasboras were the best bet.

1/8 Took a water sample to the LFS. All looked good so they sold us 3 harlequin rasboras. Still not a word to us about 'cycling'. We freely told them we were total newbies. I am sad that no one told us about cycling, let alone made a suggestion to cycle fishless. I think we'd be so much further along and they'd have had so much MORE of our business if we'd been directed to some reading on cycling on our first trip into the store. Thank goodness for the internet!

1/11 Took water sample to the LFS. Ammonia 2PPM! pH back up after repeated attempts to bring it down to pH7 on the advice of the girl at the LFS. Bought stability and used at rate of 1 capful a day. pH never stays down for 24 hours so decided to stop messing with pH. We will choose fish that can tolerate 7.4-7.6.

1/14 Took water sample to the LFS. Ammonia detectable but low. pH 7.6. Getting frustrated with constant advice to bring the pH back down. (Should have been our warning sign that we should avoid the the girl at the LFS as neither of the guys ever said a word about our pH.)

Got our own API Freshwater Master Test kit and began testing ourselves. Did 50% PWC whenever Am was 0.25ppm.

1/22 Took water sample to the LFS. 0.25ppm AM. She sold us 1 fancy guppy and 2 otocats (I specifically asked her if it was OK to get them when the tank was not cycled - I had done SOME reading by now. We were told they would be fine.) I otocat died overnight. I'm 'done' with the LFS unless one of the 'fish guys' (over the 'not-fish girl') is working when we go in.

For the last month I've been babying the surviving otocat, doing a 50% PWC when Am hits 0.25ppm. It's taking longer and longer to get that high so I'm certain we are building a decent colony but I joined AC last weekend looking for advice on how to speed things along.

Advice here was to let Am get a little higher to support more bacterial growth. Today is the first day that I've been certain we've got measurable nitrite so the advice appears to be working :-)

~~~~~

But we're not stopping with a 10g tank......

After what we saw during our last trip to the LFS (a really badly ick-infected tank, LOTS of dead fish, and a salesgirl who didn't know what she was talking about), we figured we'd at least check out petco. We didn't buy any fish because we're not done cycling BUT the fish selection was HUGE and the fish looked healthier than at the LFS. DD is dreaming of breeding guppies or mollies and sold us on the idea of getting a bigger tank and keeping the small tank going for 'breeding'. She found a GREAT deal on a 29g aqueon set up that included the heater so she bought it. It's still in the box because I decided that I didn't want 300+ pounds of aquarium on her dresser but the stand I want has been out of stock.

Our plan......

Finish cycling the 10g with the current fish then use the 10g to seed the 29g, leaving the otocat in the more established tank until the 29g is fully cycled. In the long term the 29g will be a community tank and she'll use the 10g as a quarantine/hospital/nursery tank. I'm thinking through the options for going from 1 tank to 2 while we finish the cycle in the 10g. My big stumbling block is how best to deal with filters/media so that when we set up the 29g we can seed it with media (and substrate) from the 10g without perturbing the cycle in the 10g.

~~~~~~

That's where we are at today. I thought an aquarium journal would be a nice way to document what is going on with our 10g and how we fare going from 1 tank to 2 tanks and converting that 10g over to a hospital/quarantine/nursery tank.
    Accidental aquarist..... tending my daughter's tanks
    I take care of the water. She takes care of the fish.
    29g FW. Fish-in cycling started 1/8 in 10g, transferred to 29g 2/22. 3 Harlequin rasboras, 1 fancy guppy, 1 otocat.

0 Not allowed!
    Sounds like a good plan!

It's a shame that some LFS, just take horrible care of their fish and seem to be only in it for the money, glad you found a better shop.
    American League Champions! TIGERS!

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Documenting will really help reinforce learning from your mistakes. Good idea. Don't forget to look back a few months from now and read from the beginning. You will be amazed how far you and the tank have come. You are definitely moving in the right direction!
    125g - 6 Zig Zag Rainbows, 6 Turquoise Rainbows, 6 Boesmani Rainbows, 5 otos, 6 corys

Awards Showcase

hopefully this one shows up. - KingFisher It's the closest thing I could find to a snowflake. - Taurus Happy Birthday Girl. Wishing you many more. Ya thats why the Champagne is in play. hehehe - Strider199 For piping up - ~firefly~ Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas - gadget228 Thank you and Happy Holidays! - KingFisher Merry x-mas and a Happy New Year Trillianne - Strider199 Happy New Year!!! - Rue 
    Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 Thanks for the Rep! - steeler1 Thanks, and one for you too. - mommy1 lol - 5 steps to gift giving.  We should eat more bananas... potassium and all that. - KevinVA 
    Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 No Message - Fishhook A Birthday Bunny. - gadget228 Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by guppiegirl
    I'm thinking through the options for going from 1 tank to 2 while we finish the cycle in the 10g. My big stumbling block is how best to deal with filters/media so that when we set up the 29g we can seed it with media (and substrate) from the 10g without perturbing the cycle in the 10g.
    What I would do in your shoes since you eventually plan to run the 29g as your main tank and the 10g as a QT is....

Move the Established filter of the 10g AND the fish into the 29g and run both filters on the 29g tank. Your fish will have the benefit of a cycled 10g worth of biomedia, and the new 29g tank filter will seed off the old 10G filter.

Wait a couple weeks before you buy new fish to give the new 29g filter enough time to build up sufficient BB.

When you do run the QT, simply move the 10G filter onto the 10G tank. It will already have the established media with the BB needed to take care of your QT tank needs. When you finish the QT time just move the 10g filter back onto the 29g.

This means you will be running 2 filters on the 29g most of the time. Extra filtration is a good thing. It also means that any time you need to QT, your filter for the QT is already good to go.

And it does sound like you have learned quite a bit, the most important being... to do some research.

0 Not allowed!
    I hear that so often that a fish store tells people to let the tank run for several days and then bring in a water sample. Of course the water is fine. There was nothing in it. gez! How dumb can they be? It's a tank of water!

And then when she tested the water and saw you already had ammonia, she sold you more fish. What can I say?

Exclamation

0 Not allowed!
    I take care of the water. She takes care of the fish. She likes to remind me, 'I said I'd take care of the fish!'
    THIS is very very relevant & you have the important part btw.

I have long said this: I take really good care of my water, I only feed the fish.
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I chuckle every time she sees me messing with the water (testing, doing changes) and proceeds to tell me she DOES take care of her fish. She feeds them. :P

I'm just glad that doing all the rest is SO much simpler than when my sister had an aquarium while we were growing up. I refused to let DD get an aquarium for years because I loathed having to deal with what my sister did (which involved netting all the fish into other containers and scrubbing everything and then setting everything back up again). SOOOO glad that the hobby has moved beyond that!
    29g FW. Fish-in cycling started 1/8 in 10g, transferred to 29g 2/22. 3 Harlequin rasboras, 1 fancy guppy, 1 otocat.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Are you feeding the oto vegetables? There is more than likely not enough algae growing in the tank to support the oto. One of the reasons why they so often die in the aquarium is that there is not enough food.
    Lots of tanks. Some tanks are planted. Fish include community and bettas.
    2 Dachshunds. Angel (Red) and Cookie (Chocolate Dapple).
    Shiny Things and Beauty the rabbits.
    RIP Princess and Max the Dachshunds, Tiger and Ping Pong the rabbits, and all the fishes from when I was a newbie.
    It is Ldoerr NOT Idoerr.
    Black kitten named Midnight that was found 10/29/12

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I offered zucchini but it didn't appear to go near it. Anything else I should try?

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Today's report:

pH 7.4-7.6 (stable)
    Am just below 0.25ppm (slightly lower than yesterday)
    Nitrite undetectable (yesterday was definitely purplish - 0.25ppm)
    Nitrate undetectable

I assume this means that the bacteria that convert ammonia to nitrite are increasing as are the the bacteria that convert nitrite to nitrate. But it's just one day's data so I'll keep on testing.

DD decided that she'll pay the difference between the out of stock penn plax stand (which I said I'd buy just so the 29g didn't end up on her dresser) and the in stock titan eze. Now I'm just trying to decide whether or not I want to add an air pump and airstone to the order.