· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 37 of 38 FirstFirst ... 2735363738 LastLast

Awards Showcase

It's EOTW Beer Time! - KevinVA Nobody likes to drinl alone :) - steeler58 Back at you,  good sir! - Compass Here's to Lee's 5000 and Guava Flavored Whiskey! - Taurus Why drink alone, when a Sandz is nearby? - KevinVA 
    Sorry to hear of your loss, it always sucks to lose fish. - mommy1 Wish it was a real one, sorry for your loses :( - steeler58 So sorry about your fish! - SeaLady Here is pie. - mommy1 for the one you lost :o( - fishmommie 
    No Message - Fishhook Bottoms up! - Slaphppy7 Thanks, this one is on me - mommy1 Here's to 4,000 posts :) - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    TGIF and here's to good whiskey :-) - Taurus Thanks for the rep :) - rebecca_finny pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie thank you for your help and advice - showmebutterfly Even Monday's are better with severum - showmebutterfly 

0 Not allowed!
    Hey Kurly - did you ever get the new tanks? In my experience with breeding, I generally remove the eggs into a holding tank for them to spawn then raise those fry up from there.
    FW: 1 45gal, 1 40gal, 3 10gal, 3 30gal all community tanks of different species
    Sw: 1 55gal, 1 30gal show, 1 29gal show, 1 20gal and 2 10's

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for the update and it's great to see you back!
    When in doubt, do a water change.

"This ain't rocket science!"

0 Not allowed!
    Hi Sandz!
    No, I still never got another tank to raise fry. Didn't have the money or time to do that so that is why the original Mama and Papa Rams only produced one batch of fry that survived and the only reason why they did is because I bought a divider which separated Papa Ram from the Mama and the baby Ramsies.

I do have a 10 gallon jungle tank that only has a few cherry shrimp in it so if I wanted to try and raise the next batch of fry in there then I could give it a shot. Of course I know that I need a larger tank than that so that's why I never used it for that purpose in the past. I don't have the money for a larger fry tank so I may go out and buy another tank divider when they spawn again.

It's been such a long time since I had eggs in my tank that I forgot how exciting it is to have it happen. I'm still so busy that I'm not sure if I can devote as much time to this as I did a couple years ago but we'll see how things go now that I have another pair that is attempting to produce fry
    10 Gallon: Planted Red Cherry Shrimp
    65 Gallon: Planted South American Community
    30 Gallon: Planted Bolivian Ram Tank

Reduce The Stress....Cycle Fishless!

0 Not allowed!
    You're welcome Taurus. Great to be back! I plan on popping in more often now that I have returned.

I'm glad that my account wasn't permanently deleted due to inactivity!

Awards Showcase

It's EOTW Beer Time! - KevinVA Nobody likes to drinl alone :) - steeler58 Back at you,  good sir! - Compass Here's to Lee's 5000 and Guava Flavored Whiskey! - Taurus Why drink alone, when a Sandz is nearby? - KevinVA 
    Sorry to hear of your loss, it always sucks to lose fish. - mommy1 Wish it was a real one, sorry for your loses :( - steeler58 So sorry about your fish! - SeaLady Here is pie. - mommy1 for the one you lost :o( - fishmommie 
    No Message - Fishhook Bottoms up! - Slaphppy7 Thanks, this one is on me - mommy1 Here's to 4,000 posts :) - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    TGIF and here's to good whiskey :-) - Taurus Thanks for the rep :) - rebecca_finny pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie thank you for your help and advice - showmebutterfly Even Monday's are better with severum - showmebutterfly 

0 Not allowed!
    Kurly - a 5gal tank is plenty for a spawn of fry even in the 100s for at least 2mo in bolivians.. You are fine to keep a small group in there to eventually do what you will with them. The 10gallon is perfect as well.
    FW: 1 45gal, 1 40gal, 3 10gal, 3 30gal all community tanks of different species
    Sw: 1 55gal, 1 30gal show, 1 29gal show, 1 20gal and 2 10's

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Nice to see you back Kurly. I was a newbie when you got your rams and really enjoyed reading your journal. Good luck with the new pair producing some fry for you.
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, pair kribs, & nerite snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: EBJD, congos, apple snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

0 Not allowed!
    Didn't realize that Sandz.... thanks for the info. I spent most of the day cleaning up my tanks including the 10 gallon cherry shrimpie tank. I really neglected it for a while which pretty much destroyed my shrimp population. Was surprised to see that I did have 3 female cherries still alive so I brought over a several males from my Bolivian Ram tank to get that population going again. Guess I could always move any little Bolivian Ramsie fry over to that tank whenever that happens again which will hopefully be in the very near future.

We shall see....

0 Not allowed!
    Sandz.... It's been a while since I have been involved with breeding Bolivian Rams so I have a question for you..... Is it common for the female to chase the male away when she isn't interested in breeding? I ask this question because I removed three of the five Bolivians from my Ram tank and left what I thought were the pair in there. The female is still in the breeding area (the flat rock under the plants) The male is hanging around in that vicinity where he used to be during their first mating time span. I am noticing that every time he tries to come closer to her, she pretty much chases him away but he continues to try to get in that immediate area. It's almost like he is saying... "What is wrong with you woman? This is where I've always hung out and now you chase me away?"

Did I remove the other three Rams from the tank too early after the first successful mating? Just a little confused on this and would like some advice from someone who has successfully bred Bolivians more than once.

I've been away from this a little too long

0 Not allowed!
    Well.... It looks like two of the three Bolivian Rams that I moved over to the main tank have developed a little bond. They are swimming together and getting along peacefully as they swim in circles around each other.

Meanwhile... the pair that I left in the 30 gallon aren't getting along too well I know for a fact they were the original pair because when I moved the other three over to the main tank they were the two hovering around the area where the first batch of fry were and wouldn't leave it. I did notice that the female is letting the male back in the area somewhat more yesterday than she has in the past week.
    It would be my luck that the pair in the 30 gallon "divorce" and the pair in the main tank will begin to produce fry that will only get eaten up my my oh so lovely but greedy Angelfish!

I really don't want to have to switch tanks with the pairs. That would be too much stress on all of them and on me!

I will wait and see what happens. Hopefully the pair I left in the tank for this journal will make up and begin producing baby Ramsies again which is the purpose of this journal.

Wish me luck! OR should I say, wish them luck!?

Just noticed in my 30 Gallon Ram tank that one Bolivian Ram tooted its hind side up in the air to the other one who was directly behind it and the one behind it inched forward toward it. Never seen that before so it was a little funny.... could that be a sign of saying I'm almost ready to mate again?
    Last edited by kurly; 07-27-2014 at 04:59 PM. Reason: Added additional info to post

0 Not allowed!
    The worst part about removing the other Bolivian Rams from the pair in this tank is now the pair in my 30 Gallon spaz out every time I come near that tank! I mean they jump and race across the tank and under the spawning rock the moment I step foot in the room. Well, actually one goes one way and the other flies off into the opposite direction. I just hope they don't smack into the glass as they retreat from me. I now walk sloooowly into the room and approach the tank very carefully to feed them and they still go bonkers. This will not help them to spawn again anytime soon At least they aren't showing extreme stress by changes in their color which is a good thing.

I just changed my lighting over their tank to LED today which allows me to make it darker for them so I think I'll keep the lighting a little darker for a little while and see if they calm down when they see me. I hate when this happens
    Last edited by kurly; 07-28-2014 at 11:44 PM.

Page 37 of 38 FirstFirst ... 2735363738 LastLast