· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Friends don't let friends drink alone, and I'm there for you man - Cliff After all that virtual alcohol it's time to sober up with some virtual food - mommy1 I can't drink alone mate - ScottishFish I won't thank you because it's a thankless job 7 also I cannot find any CUC type gifts but thanks [ - 850R Cheers bud - Cliff 
    Time for a Pint? I cannae drink alone - ScottishFish Implied message here. - mommy1 Congrats MOTM !!! - Cliff Cheers! - escamosa I dunno why I'm giving you a skunkloach as your prize,. They just sound cool! :) - escamosa 
    Merry Christmas - KingFisher Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas!! - ScottishFish Happy X-mas! :-) - MCHRKiller Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 
    A cup of coffee to get you going on that build. - Strider199 Merry xmas! - ScottishFish Merry Christmas - mommy1 Happy New Year - mommy1 Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 

0 Not allowed!
    having multiple filters also comes in handy if you ever need to instantly cycle a new tank, hospital tank, friends tank, etc.

another thing is that some filters with high flow are best for mechanical filtration and removing particles from the water column, while others like sumps are best for biological filtration. I run 8 filters on my 190g (2x ac110s, fx5, 55 wet/dry, and 4 sponge filters) and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Awards Showcase

Happy Christmas - MuckyFish thanks for advising on vegetables for my kribs! so here is a discus - ScottishFish You help a lot - PhillipOrigami For the bank account, and thx for the rep - Cliff beautiful discus! - Crispy 
    I know this doesn't help but it's all I can do! - chrisfraser05 for all the wise advice you've given me - fishmommie Congrats on 2000th post! - andreahp Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    Thanks for the rep :-) - ~firefly~ appreciate it. - fishmommie Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾̃̾)۶ - korith For all the good advice you give. - ~firefly~ 
    Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff thanks for the rep points.  appreciate it - fishmommie happy friday! - mojosodope Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep! - steeler1 

Smile Multi-filtration Units

0 Not allowed!
    Excellent article. I have been making this point for a while (extra filters for better cleaning - didn't think about the filter cleaning issue, through!) I use a canister, Bio-wheel HOB, and a UGF (reverse). Besides protecting from a mini-cycle when I clean one unit, I noticed my canister, even after four months of operation, is almost perfectly clean. The HOB really helps - that is the unit that helps add oxygen (I no longer need an air stone/pump.) Why I have to make a lot of large WC (for the discus), the water, even with heavy feeding, stays clean. Of course, phosphates are an issue and a reactor just does not cut it even with my weekly 80% WC and 20% mid-week. But that is an other story ... .
    Last edited by Cermet; 04-08-2012 at 08:57 PM.

0 Not allowed!
    I have two filters on my 4 gallon betta tank. An aquaclear20, my favorite, and a small bio maxx nano filter HOB. They run on the lowest setting keep water stable and crystal clear. My betta, Crimson, loves to sleep under the waterfall lol.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishin Phil

While no one should ever "cheap out" when it comes to any aquarium equiptment, the very last place you should ever cut corners is filtration! It is the backbone of a quality aquarium.
    Well said and right on target. Two filters also prevent dead spots in the tank and it's so nice to have that second filter so you can do a good cleaning on the remaining filter when it's needed without loss to your cycle.

0 Not allowed!
    great post ordered internal fluval u4 should get it tomorow as second filter on my 130ltr so 550lph and 100lph should be good as im having problems clearing water with the 550lph overhead trickle filter,looking forward to crystal clear water and happy fishes

Smile added internal fluval u4

0 Not allowed!
    great article,i just added a fluval u4 1000lph to my 130ltr which has a 550lph overhead trickle filter it was struglling due 2 overstocking now my water is crystal clear an my fishes will surely appreaciate the extra filtration as i do,again thanks to the ac for the info

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    im glad i read this i have been debating in my mind if i should get another aquarium filter and i think i will! thanks for the info

8. Thumbs up

0 Not allowed!
    Excellent read thank you for your time in writing it I will be adding a second one shortly

0 Not allowed!
    Add filters to the sump...that's an awesome idea!

I don't have a sump at the moment, but when I upgrade the tank, I'll remember that.

I have run multiple filters ever since I got back into FW (a canister and internal surface skimmer), and you're spot on with the benefits. My neons are the picture of health. IMHO, that's well worth the small extra cost of a second filter.

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Just purchased my second, it's on its way :).

Have a Fluval U3, and a Aquaclear 30 now for my 110Litre.