· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default 30g livebearer tank

0 Not allowed!
    I've recently discovered where my old tank has been hidding. it's 30g tank and I want to stock it with livebearers. I've been reading up on platy, guppies, mollies and swordtails. From what I've read no matter which I chose I will have a huge population boom and I am hoping that the 30g tank will buy me sometime to save up some money. I am open to suggestions on decorations and such, I am planning on having some floating plants for the fry to hide in and not really sure about any others at the moment. I plan on having alternating types of food such as some high quality flakes and some type of meaty food such as bloodworms.

Also I have to drive an hour in any direction to get to a town that has any type of pet or fish store (usually a petco). Anyone know of a good website that will give me some healthy/good quality fish?

I'm defiantly looking for some insights here because I am still pretty unsure of a lot of the details. Feel free to tell me flaws in my plan and what you would do in my situation.
    DISCLAIMER:Poster makes no guarantee that the above expressed information is accurate, complete, current, funny, new, spelled correctly, or grammatically correct. The above-stated information is instead provided on an "AS IS" basis, and is subject to revision with or without notice.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Instinct
    Also I have to drive an hour in any direction to get to a town that has any type of pet or fish store (usually a petco). Anyone know of a good website that will give me some healthy good quality fish?
    There are a number of good reputable sites

http://www.liveaquaria.com/
    http://www.aquabid.com/ check seller ratings (it's an aquatic version of ebay)
    http://www.aquariumfish.net/
    Those are just some, unfortunately, there are also many, many bad ones
    American League Champions! TIGERS!

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Congrats on the 30g and good luck with it! Livebearers tanks are always fun because your adding new members all the time lol. As far as some info about livebearers, 2-3 females to every male is a good ratio. If you do that you should have fry every month. Floating plants are good and have worked for me but i have had fry eaten before. So now I use a breeder box(which you can get at any pet store) you put the pregnant fish in it when it is about to have babies and the fry will sink to the bottom of it through a divider. then take the mother fish out. I keep them in it til they are big enough not to get eaten by the other fish. I feed them Hikari First Bites which i really recommend. As far as decorations, its your tank and you should do want you want with it. I've never ordered fish online, maybe someone else could help you out with that. I live almost an hour away from my lfs and I have never had a fish die on the way home. So it would probably be better if your bought fish that were an hour away, instead of have a fish shipped to you over a period of days. Hope this helped you out some and good luck with the tank!

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I just ordered fish from livefishdirect.com. I was very pleased with the service and the condition of the fish. Overnight shipping is also only $24 if you spend their minimum amount. They specialize in cichlids but also have a bunch of other fish as well.
    "The Dumpster Tank" 26g flat back hex - Betta albimarginata, corydoras, checker barbs, pork chop rasbora

"Nano Fish Tank" 20g long - Celestial Pearl Danios, microrasboras, Corydoras habrosus

"Mbuna Tank" 75g - Ps. saulosi, I. sprengerae, M. pulpican, M. joanjohnsonae

"Time Out Tank" 29g - dominant male Cynotilapia sp. "hara"

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I personaly would not use floating plants for the babies to hide in. Even without them you will be over run in no time. The nearest fish store to me is 1.5hrs away and I have never lost a fish when I have bought from there. I just bring a bucket, declorinator, some fake plants, and a net. I put the fish in the bucket that has been treated with declorinator and has a fake plant or 2 in it. That gives the fish more room to swim and also more oxygen. It has worked for me very well over the last 5 or so months. (I have bought fish AT LEAST 10 times and brought them through the journey with no problems what so ever.)

I have looked at ordering fish online (especially bettas) and the shipping is just not worth it to me. It seems to be at minimum 20 something dollars to ship 1 or 2 fish.
    Lots of tanks. Some tanks are planted. Fish include community and bettas.
    2 Dachshunds. Angel (Red) and Cookie (Chocolate Dapple).
    Shiny Things and Beauty the rabbits.
    RIP Princess and Max the Dachshunds, Tiger and Ping Pong the rabbits, and all the fishes from when I was a newbie.
    It is Ldoerr NOT Idoerr.
    Black kitten named Midnight that was found 10/29/12

Arrow

0 Not allowed!
    If you lived closer dude, I'd give you some fry. Either mollys or guppies - Your choice.
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I live far away from anything but a Petco/Petsmart, and I find that their stock always seems pale, scrawny and stressed. I opted to go the online route, and have overall been very pleased with the result. When you consider the price of gas, the shipping doesn't seem as costly IMO, and the fish are typically shipped via overnight FEDEX, so they don't really spend "days" in transit. I have personally used aquariumfish.net, and can vouch for their quality and customer service, but any of the sites MLBFan mentioned would probably serve you well.

As for which livebearer to choose, it's really up to you. Guppies are smallest, but platys have more color varieties; swordtails are showy and active, but are the largest and would therefore overpopulate your tank most quickly. I personally find mollies the most attractive, very elegant, but they are very sensitive to poor water conditions, which overcrowding would exacerbate.

Anyway, good luck!