· Pond Fish
· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Converting from FW- can I use the filters?

0 Not allowed!
    Hello! I haven't been around in a while, but that's a good thing because it means all my fish have been doing very well!

So I am going to be converting my 60 gallon fw tank (currently only home to one angelfish, and only because he wouldn't play nice in my 36 gallon), to a marine tank. I've read a few sources on this, but there is one thing that all the websites seem to differ on: some say you can use the old Aquaclear filters (I have 2 AC 70's on it now), some say you can't; some say to use them and keep the old filter media in there to seed the tank, some say to keep them but rinse the media, some say all new filter media, etc.

So I just wanted to get your take on this. I plan to move one of these to my 36 gallon tank (which has 2 HOB filters of it's own, but one of them recently crapped out on me). The other I was hoping to use to kickstart the cycling on the sw tank/seed the live sand etc.

I've got some brand new filter media in the boxes so I could easily change things out, just not sure what would be best for the cycling process. Also, I plan to clean out the tank completely today and let it dry, and I will be buying 60 lbs of aragonite substrate and salt water mix just to get the basic stuff up and running... do I absolutely need to get a protein skimmer as well, or will my HOB filters suffice for now? Different sites say different things about protein skimmers too.

I'm doing FOWLR btw.

Thanks in advance and sorry for the long post
    Last edited by cat_fish_lady; 02-23-2012 at 01:29 PM.
    120g SW mixed reef (see profile for equipment info) RBTAs, Shrooms, Zoas (new!) and fish..... and two fat cats
    "The seaweed is always greener in somebody else's lake." -Sebastian the crab

0 Not allowed!
    If your doing a FOWLR you really don't need to move any BB from your FW tank at all.

In SW the live rock is your cycled biomeda that will convert your ammonia into nitrite, nitrite into nitrate, and one added bonus of a marine set-up is that you get bb that also converts nitrate into nitrogen gas (although that last part is a really slow process).

In SW your BB is made up of both Nitrifying and Denitrifying bacterias. That is why I would guess FW BB, which is only made up of nitrifying bacterias, will not work in a SW set-up. I don;t know this for a fact as I have never tried it. I'm hoping I remember the terminology correctly here so I apologize if I have not.

I would just get your live rock in there, wait for the mini spike to run it's course, and you will have a cycled tank ready for a few fish.

Edit: and don't forgett the rest of the equipment in your set-up that you will need.
    Last edited by Cliff; 02-23-2012 at 01:29 PM.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cliff
    If your doing a FOWLR you really don't need to move any BB from your FW tank at all.

I would just get your live rock in there, wait for the mini spike to run it's course, and you will have a cycled tank ready for a few fish.
    Thanks! And by that you mean that I can use one of the HOB filters, just don't bother with old filter media from the FW tank as the live rock will be doing the seeding, correct?
    120g SW mixed reef (see profile for equipment info) RBTAs, Shrooms, Zoas (new!) and fish..... and two fat cats

0 Not allowed!
    That is correct

I would not use any bio-media at all in your HOBs provided you have enough live rock in the tank. Rule of thumb is 1 lb of good quality rock for each gallon of water

HOBs are great for extra flow and some mechanical filtration or chemical like phosphate removers or carbon.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cliff
    In SW your BB is made up of both Nitrifying and Denitrifying bacterias. That is why I would guess FW BB, which is only made up of nitrifying bacterias, will not work in a SW set-up.
    Actually, the FW BB will die in the SW. :) The salinity change kills it. The FW BB is of absolutely no use.
    Considering a Marine Aquarium? A Breakdown of the Components, Live Rock, Cycling a Marine Tank

"The capacity to learn is a gift; The ability to learn is a skill; The WILLINGNESS to learn is a choice." - Unknown

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for clearing the up Goldbarb

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I started my SW tank with an aquaclear 50 I think, and it worked fairly well until I put my custom hood on it. Then I switched to a cannister which I prefer, but doesn't provide as much surface agitation, so there your HOBs will prove effective.
    كل نفس ذائقة الموت ثم الينا ترجعون

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Great. Thanks all! I'm sure I'll be back around soon with more questions/update on the progress.