· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Am I crazy or should I try?

0 Not allowed!
    I've been tossing around the idea of attempting to breed Jaguar Catfish. I don't have any yet and I still have lots of research to do.

Am I just following a long list of tried and failed attempts or is there just little interest in breeding this fish that no one is trying?

lol, am I crazy for wanting to try?
    30g: 2x dwarf gouramis, 2x blue gouramis, 9 neon tetras, and one pleco.

75g: just started cycling. Thinking about rainbows and black orange-eye tiger shrimp.

Awards Showcase

A lovely red rose for you to enjoy ... - mermaidwannabe for the help - smaug Happy Father's Day! - Aminax awesome tank in TOTM - Lady Hobbs Good guess! - Lab_Rat 
    To match your Super speed LOL - 850R Cool contest! - Wild Turkey Great shrimp advice - Wild Turkey You have the patience of a rock - Aeonflame Happy 5th Anniversary - Aminax 
    Thanks! - Scrup hmm i dont this its the right species... but merry xmas XD - genocidex Merry Christmas! I blub you! - Aminax I love following your informative and well designed threads. I hope these loaches get huge for you! - Sandz Happy 30th birthday! - Aminax 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Thanks for you help! Cheers! - koaladarshana Happy Birthday Bud. Cheers! - Strider199 Merry Xmas! Ill drink to that! - Sandz Happy New Year! - jeffs99dime 
    Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - Brhino 

0 Not allowed!
    jaguar catfish, not jaguar cichlid, Aeon!
    300 gallon mega tank: build in progress
    75 gallon community tank: tetras, danios, corys, platies, otos, pearl gouramis, bristlenose pleco, assassin snails, red cherry shrimp, bamboo shrimp
    70 gallon growout tank: clown loaches, sailfin pleco
    60 gallon goldfish tank: fancy goldfish
    29 gallon frog tank: 1 bullfrog
    10 gallon and 5.5 gallon betta tanks: 1 male betta each, sometimes snails

0 Not allowed!
    lol yeah I just saw that... OOPS.

Im not sure if they can be bred in the aquarium. I haven't heard of any successful attempts
    Last edited by Aeonflame; 02-15-2012 at 02:49 PM.
    <-- Click for journals
    "There is no right way to do the wrong thing." - KingFisher "Only bad things happen fast in this hobby" - Cliff

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I know PlanetCatfish.com has no records of breeding this catfish. So I'm wondering is it just because people fail or is it that no one's interested?

75g: just started cycling. Thinking about rainbows and black orange-eye tiger shrimp.

Awards Showcase

A lovely red rose for you to enjoy ... - mermaidwannabe for the help - smaug Happy Father's Day! - Aminax awesome tank in TOTM - Lady Hobbs Good guess! - Lab_Rat 
    To match your Super speed LOL - 850R Cool contest! - Wild Turkey Great shrimp advice - Wild Turkey You have the patience of a rock - Aeonflame Happy 5th Anniversary - Aminax 
    Thanks! - Scrup hmm i dont this its the right species... but merry xmas XD - genocidex Merry Christmas! I blub you! - Aminax I love following your informative and well designed threads. I hope these loaches get huge for you! - Sandz Happy 30th birthday! - Aminax 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Thanks for you help! Cheers! - koaladarshana Happy Birthday Bud. Cheers! - Strider199 Merry Xmas! Ill drink to that! - Sandz Happy New Year! - jeffs99dime 
    Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - Brhino 

0 Not allowed!
    if a reputable site like planetcatfish lists "no reports of breeding", that means that nobody anywhere has been able to get the fish to breed in captivity and reported their success. Generally this means that the specific conditions (tank setup, water parameters, special situations like a simulated rainy season, etc) required to get the fish to spawn are unknown and/or have never been successfully duplicated.

This is not to say that you will never get the fish to spawn. It just means that you'll need to figure out something that nobody else in the published world has yet.
    300 gallon mega tank: build in progress
    75 gallon community tank: tetras, danios, corys, platies, otos, pearl gouramis, bristlenose pleco, assassin snails, red cherry shrimp, bamboo shrimp
    70 gallon growout tank: clown loaches, sailfin pleco
    60 gallon goldfish tank: fancy goldfish
    29 gallon frog tank: 1 bullfrog
    10 gallon and 5.5 gallon betta tanks: 1 male betta each, sometimes snails

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I've seen cats listed as "no record of breeding" on PCF and then have seen posts where people have successfully documented breeding that very fish. Their Cat-A-Log is a great resource but not always 100% up to date.

I would so a few searches on that forum and see if anyone actually has been successful. I'm sure someone has tried somewhere.
    "The Dumpster Tank" 26g flat back hex - Betta albimarginata, corydoras, checker barbs, pork chop rasbora

"Nano Fish Tank" 20g long - Celestial Pearl Danios, microrasboras, Corydoras habrosus

"Mbuna Tank" 75g - Ps. saulosi, I. sprengerae, M. pulpican, M. joanjohnsonae

"Time Out Tank" 29g - dominant male Cynotilapia sp. "hara"

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Ok. That helps me figure out what I'm up against.
    I'll just have to research their natural environment and see if I can duplicate it.

0 Not allowed!
    The Jaguar catfish has been bred in aquariums. I hava a friend that has bred them. I do however not think that anyone properly documentet the breeding process. You would not be a fool to try to breed them but you have to be up for a challange because they are far from easy to breed. They will require very good conditions as well as triggering to spawn. My friend brought the temperature down and the pH to far below normal to trigger them to spawn. Regular rain triggering in other words.
    Do as I say. Not as I do.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Why don't you try it? You could put a bucket out for rainwater, then put that in the tank. That might trigger them.
    I hate hearing people say "it's only a $3/$5/$1 fish/shrimp, so it's ok if it dies, I can just get another." It's still an animal! All animals should be treated like they're worth $10,000.
    29 sw: Damsel, shrimpgoby, pistol shrimp, waspfish
    65 fw: Rummies, glowlight tetras, pencilfish, darters, ottos, f betta, goby, dwarf gourami, ninjas
    29 fw: Chili rasboras, pygmy cories, P. Gertrudae

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishkeeper
    Why don't you try it? You could put a bucket out for rainwater, then put that in the tank. That might trigger them.
    Im not posotive on this, but I wouldn't do that, can't rainwater have chemicals in them and could be acidic, you can try and 'recreate' rainfall though in your tank.
    American League Champions! TIGERS!