· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: sunfish shock

Cool

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by UncleWillie
    Old Marine, sunfish make great aquarium fish, but they certainly still taste good. Is it weird that I keep sunfish in tanks at home and still enjoy frying up their brethren on occasion?

BigNellum, longears have the potential to reach about 8-9 inches, but in the wild, they rarely exceed 6'' depending on sex, habitat, and drainage. It is more common to see adults from 4-6''. For instance, some of the longears in Louisiana might get to a larger max size than their northern longear counterparts. And the introduced population here in Georgia rarely get larger than 5''. (There are several "strains" or subspecies of longears across the country, and they may eventually be separated as different species). Pumpkinseeds, on the other hand, can get pretty stout at 10''. But again, they are more commonly seen at about 6-8''.
    Man, wish I hadn't used my college online ID name for this forum, LOL.
    Last name, first initial. bignellm...

Sincerely,

Mark Bignell

Makes sense, lol, that Sunfish are soo much larger than Moonfish. Someone was thinking well when assigning these names on a size basis.

Awards Showcase

for posting that article, I laughed so much!!!!!!!! - ScottishFish Kick back and enjoy the day when your done your painting - Cliff thanks for the rep! - EowynShieldmaiden Otis thanks you for the rep - Cliff This one will have a longer life span, sorry to hear about your fish - Cliff 
    For being a smarty pants and figuring out my riddle so fast! :) - escamosa The last one of these Ill ever give! Enjoy the AC bucks Rue! - smaug Yes, there is still a place in today's world for the  Darwin Awarads - Cliff Thanks for the Rep!!! :) - C-Dub Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    Merry Christmas Rue - jeffs99dime Holiday Ham has come today from the eve until Boxing Day! - Trillianne Merry Cristmas and Happy Holidays Rue. - Strider199 It's a Christmas Bunny, Merry Christmas. - gadget228 lol, thanks for the rep.  Have one on me! =] - KevinVA 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Thanks!  You have a great holiday season as well! - sheamurai Merry Christmas - gadget228 What is a good Holiday Ham to do, but bring some cheer to my good friend Rue! - Trillianne Just Because - Surfdog 
    Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Rue Eating Disorders - Esophageal Cancer - Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease - Irritable Bowel Syndrome - Pulmonary Hypertension - Rue 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by bignellm
    Man, wish I hadn't used my college online ID name for this forum, LOL.
    Last name, first initial. bignellm...

Ah! I get it. I was also confused when I first saw Big Nell was a guy...
    55 g Goldfish Tank - 5 Fancies, 2 Dojos
    25 g Tropical Tank - Celestial Pearl Danio/Mixed

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rue
    Ah! I get it. I was also confused when I first saw Big Nell was a guy...

Yea, anyone got a quick name change option, LOL.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Oh man, sorry for the butchering of your name. I should be more careful, because I totally understand. - I get all squirmy when someone spells my name Willy instead of Willie. Thanks for pointing that out Mr. Bignell.
    Support your local ichthyofauna - buy a fishing license!

0 Not allowed!
    This thread has made me hungry.
    Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark

0 Not allowed!
    Oh man, sorry for the butchering of your name. I should be more careful, because I totally understand. - I get all squirmy when someone spells my name Willy instead of Willie. Thanks for pointing that out Mr. Bignell.
    Hehe, no problem.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Contrary to the popular response, those fish are longears, as stated earlier. If I have to bet, I'd day this fish was either caught in Texas, or in a river draining into the Mississippi River. Too bad the OP hasn't told us where it was caught. But these fish are not Pumpkinseeds - I promise.

Old Marine, sunfish make great aquarium fish, but they certainly still taste good. Is it weird that I keep sunfish in tanks at home and still enjoy frying up their brethren on occasion?

BigNellum, longears have the potential to reach about 8-9 inches, but in the wild, they rarely exceed 6'' depending on sex, habitat, and drainage. It is more common to see adults from 4-6''. For instance, some of the longears in Louisiana might get to a larger max size than their northern longear counterparts. And the introduced population here in Georgia rarely get larger than 5''. (There are several "strains" or subspecies of longears across the country, and they may eventually be separated as different species). Pumpkinseeds, on the other hand, can get pretty stout at 10''. But again, they are more commonly seen at about 6-8''.
    Hi
    This is for UncleWillie!
    So, I hear you guys are debating on what sunfish this is and where I caught it. Well, I caught this fish in one of Tx's rivers and have been keeping them for a while now. These sunfishes are very hardy and will eat anything.

Lastly, I thank-you all for your cooperation and will update a new photo of my fishes on a new thread sometime early next month.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Glad they are working out for you - they are indeed hard, undemanding and great aquarium fish if you have the space. I could tell they were Texas fish just because of the reasons I mentioned early. Longear coloration, body shape and size changes from population to population across the country. I look forward to seeing more pics.
    Support your local ichthyofauna - buy a fishing license!